Donating blood=lost strength

Fujioso

Went to donate blood at The WP blooed tranfusion center just before a three day stage ride.

Got chatting to the sister on duty. She thanked me for coming and sent me home without the donation as she said I would suffer badly if I donated. She thanked me for coming down and said see you next time. Not all of them are blood suckers, some of them care as well.

I like Montyzuma's terminology 'anti-dope' :D

Now the rest of you mustn't be so dof. If it takes 24 hours to replace lost red blood cells then why are you only able to donate blood every 6 weeks? And the answer is that it takes at least 4 to 5 weeks to fully replace the red blood cells that were donated hence the recovery time between donations. If you are a serious athlete don't donate blood unless during the off-season otherwise you are going to experience a serious dip in performance for a good few weeks.

I like Montyzuma's terminology 'anti-dope' :D

Now the rest of you mustn't be so dof. If it takes 24 hours to replace lost red blood cells then why are you only able to donate blood every 6 weeks? And the answer is that it takes at least 4 to 5 weeks to fully replace the red blood cells that were donated hence the recovery time between donations. If you are a serious athlete don't donate blood unless during the off-season otherwise you are going to experience a serious dip in performance for a good few weeks.

This is abslutely correct.

24 Hours to regain blood volume, 6 weeks to regain red bloods cells that carry oxygen to the muscles

24 Hours to regain blood volume, 6 weeks to regain red bloods cells that carry oxygen to the muscles

Thanks for this info,

I donate blood every two months, so if i stop this I should be able to stay with the bunch on the hills on race day the weekend after the donation.

Looking forward to first race in january now as I am always racing/riding having donated lood in the last two months or less. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for all the replies. That explains it. It felt as if I was just a beginner on the bike with no fitness whatsoever.

I didn't take the loss of red blood cells into consideration and now I will have to pay the price. It really sucks. The upside is that my body will think I am busy with Altitude training :thumbup: .

It really sucks thought, because I was hitting a nice fitness level. I am even contemplating skipping the race on Sunday.

And to top it off, I got a flat this morning. First one in six months!!

I'll keep on riding though.

if you donated the usual pint, your body only takes 24 hours usually to replace the lost blood, so you should be fine now, your morning ride prod strained your body though as it wasnt yet up to its full blood stock again.. good luck for sunday :thumbup:

Blood VOLUME is replaces with in 48 hours but the red blood cells take longer to be replaced, hence the 52 day period between donations. Of course, I'm not saying it takes 52 days to replace the red blood cells - closer to 2 weeks. As you know, red blood cells contain hemoglobin which transports oxygen ... so you have less oxygen transport taking place thus you struggle doing moderate to high intensity activities. Some people respond differently and I am in the boat with you!

You should be back to normal after about a week of rest.

+1

where can one donate in Jhb Sandton area?

How does one sign up??

There's a clininc in Benmore:

http://www.sanbs.org.za/contacts/contmidrand.htm

Just go and say you want to donate. there's also lots of other info on that website.

Now's a good time of year to donate. Most of the big races are over and you can regain full fitness by the time racing starts again in January.

• 5 years later...

Just been diagnosed with hemochramotosis.

Need to visit the blood transfusion unit for regular withdraws to reduce iron build up (every 4 - 6 weeks)

Maybe I can ask my doc to prescribe EPO after reading some of the comments on this thread.

It takes 6-8weeks to recover completely. I try to donate 4 time a year but sometimes not possible you need to do careful planing 

Edited by F.K