THE ULTIMATE IN TOOLS

Cois

Expensive but then bike tools always have been. I look at it this way, I don't fix my own car, I take it to a mechanic, I don't fix my own house, I call the plumber or electrician (or whatever it needs) so why must I fix my own bike?

For R300 I can get the LBS to strip and rebuild my bike so that it feels like it's brand new. Do that twice a year and have them replace worn bits and mechanicals become almost non existant. If you are a pro mechanic than by all means buy the tools but I like to ride my bike not fix it. Hell I dont even wash the damn thing, the LBS does that for me to, only R40 for a wash and lube.

Nice tool set though. For a mechanically minded person it must be as exciting as a 64 X2 dual-core with 4GB RAM is to me.

Try a dual Xeon 2.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM.

Toy I have to fix by Monday.

I also take the bike to a LBS to get it fixed if I cant, but somone taught me how to fix the minor and some major things.

I think you just pay for the name Park Tools in this case. I know these tools are great, but as you said Sir Fed. Take it to the LBS. Minder kopseer op die einde van die dag... smiley36.gif

Try a dual Xeon 2.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM.

Toy I have to fix by Monday. 

smileys/smiley4.gifsmileys/smiley2.gif

Expensive but then bike tools always have been. I look at it this way' date=' I don't fix my own car, I take it to a mechanic, I don't fix my own house, I call the plumber or electrician (or whatever it needs) so why must I fix my own bike?

For R300 I can get the LBS to strip and rebuild my bike so that it feels like it's brand new. Do that twice a year and have them replace worn bits and mechanicals become almost non existant. If you are a pro mechanic than by all means buy the tools but I like to ride my bike not fix it. Hell I dont even wash the damn thing, the LBS does that for me to, only R40 for a wash and lube.

Nice tool set though. For a mechanically minded person it must be as exciting as a 64 X2 dual-core with 4GB RAM is to me.

[/quote']

Bike maintenance is not difficult - I have had so many poor experiences with bike shop mechanics and have been stunned at how poor the standard of workmanship is at some. On that basis, for a small investment of time I would rather know the work is done thoroughly and carefully. As for getting them to wash and lube  - often as not they jetwash the grease out of your bearings included in the price.smileys/smiley36.gif

Perhaps BikeMax but the guy at the LBS happens to also be a friend and I trust him to do a good job. Hasn't let me down in 5 years so I see no reason to complain. That and I hate getting my hands dirty, call me soft but I just dont see the point.

I invested in a full set of bike tools 15 years ago, expensive but worth the effort!

The only things I leave to a master, is building weels from scratch. But these days buying complete weel sets are the way to go anyway.............

Regards

Guest Big H

I do all my maintenance myself. I have recently started to true wheels as my latest "big" tool was a Park Spoke Tensiomenter. For our mundane purposes tool such as cassete removal tools, BB removal tools etc do not need to be Park....although thye are by far the best. RavX, BBB etc will sufice. For the more used tools such as spoke spanners, allen bolts etc it is wise to buy the best you can afford. Many manuals (Park Blue book is the best!!!) are available and normally help is only a posting away such as on the illustrous messageboard frequented my many learned bicycle fundi's!!!!!!!!! I have made mistakes and I have done quite a few large jobs by building M's MTB and rebuilding el rapido after the facelift. If you can change a plug you can work on a bicycle and I urge those who want to do it but are hesitant to take the plunge. It is ever so gratifying to se yourself becoming proficient and mastering something. O ja hand cleaner should ALWAYS be part of your toolbox!!!!!! I am on the verge of building my own first wheelset. A spare set for M to use on the trainer. I have erverything lined up.... just need to start. Rookies are welocme to PM me for tips help etc.

We had a guy at our club that fixed bikes in his spare time. He made it look so easy and I'm pretty sure it is with the right tools.

You want it done properly then do it your self, even if it takes you longer to learn how to do it. You never know when you will need the knowledge and usually it is at the most inconvenient time and place smileys/smiley4.gif, as they say knowledge is power.

Agree . Bike , car , guns and GF's all get serviced by me and me alone !! Discovered a looong time ago that if you want things done properly then do it urself !

Guest Big H

A very good manual to have is the Barnetts Cycling Manual. I downloaded it and have volumes 1 to 38. Do a Google search as it might still be available and is downloaded as pdf files. Very concise and good to have. The Barnetts Manual even has section for the servicing and minor repairs on STi's. If Spidey knew this he could have repaired them himself. As I commented earlier the Park Blue Book of Bicycle Repair is also excellent.