Broken collar bone question

chris_w_65

You will know when you are ready to spin or train, just wait till you are off the pain killers before you make the decision.

I would say after getting a plate off maybe you should wait 1 or maybe 2 weeks but I am not sure as my plate is still in.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any recommendations for an orthopedic surgeon for shoulders? preferably in the Sandton area?

Anyone out there have one of these? How long does it take to heal? How long till I can ride my MTB?

SNAP!!!

Ive got the exact same thing, this is the outside view :unsure:

Same plate story as Chris_W underneath...

post-12441-0-15536900-1307258913.jpg

Edited by SeanN

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I have joined this collarbone club on Saturday with the USN race, bruised the ribs as well, I am seeing the Ortopedic surgeon tomorrow with a second set of x-rays to see if he bones moved, if it did they will operate, if it did not they will leave it as is to grow back (scew), however I can feel the bones rubbing against each other, arm is in a sling but muscles are cramping I think because of the arm position. I don't know what hurts most, the ribs or collar bone.

Ribs are the worst part, I bust high up ones front and back. Collarbone was fixed the same day I broke it but the ribs took 6 weeks :thumbdown:

SNAP!!!

Ive got the exact same thing, this is the outside view :unsure:

Same plate story as Chris_W underneath...

Much neater job here. No stiches or staples

post-18048-0-39877000-1308066269.jpg

The collar bone club grows!!!

I also had the staples (23 of those suckers). I'm not too phased on scaring so I thought the staples were a neat solution.

post-3245-0-24207300-1308116658.jpg

If you get the collar bone plated then I reckon your time to recovery is halved compared to those left to heal naturally. I was driving to work 4 days after the op and this probably caused the most pain as having to reach across myself to change gears made it feel as if those staples were trying to tear me apart. Riding, you could probably be back on the bike in 2 or 3 weeks, but I wouldn't want to fall during that period...

I'd take this over a muscle tear or tendon issues any day.

Good luck with the recoveries!

• 1 year later...

Hey all....

Broke my collar bone Sunday... Going in for an op today to put the plate in. Doc says its not so bad and that i did have the option of just leaving it - however the plate has a better and quicker heal time....

My question to fellow "breakers" is this - i have a ski trip to Italy booked for first week Jan 2013... thats 7 weeks away. Will I be ready to ski? I havent ski'd before so im worried falling may put me at too much of a risk that it may not be worth trying. zthis is rather depressing considering the trip is non refundable and there is a whole host of us going....

Edited by MK Killer

Hey all....

Broke my collar bone Sunday... Going in for an op today to put the plate in. Doc says its not so bad and that i did have the option of just leaving it - however the plate has a better and quicker heal time....

My question to fellow "breakers" is this - i have a ski trip to Italy booked for first week Jan 2013... thats 7 weeks away. Will I be ready to ski? I havent ski'd before so im worried falling may put me at too much of a risk that it may not be worth trying. zthis is rather depressing considering the trip is non refundable and there is a whole host of us going....

You should be fine to ski, just dont fall whistling.gif

I reckon you should be fine. Try to keep as much movement in the shoulder as possible and get to a good physio as soon as the doc tells you, so you can start recovering your lost range of motion ASAP. Good luck with the op, it is the best way to get it sorted though IMHO.

Hey all....

Maybe that's a question you should be asking your doctor...

I broke mine the 8th December 2011 (plated it the right away) and was back on the road bike 5 weeks later.

Started to MTB about 12 weeks after accident, but felt nervous. Rode Sani2C this year.

But to be honest Collarbone still doesn't feel totally normal.

Have very sensitive skin around the area due to nerve damage.