Bibs or baggies?

Charvel

It's been a while since I've lasted posted on The Hub!

I need to buy myself new cycling shorts, and this is where my dilemma comes in. Now see, I'm a MTBer through and through.

Up until now I have been riding and racing with bibs, but I rather want to get myself baggy cycling shorts instead. What I'm worried about is that baggy shorts don't have the same "quality" of padding that you would get in bibs.

My question therefore is: which baggy shorts would you highly recommend (under R1,000) that would provide decent padding for a comfy ride? These will be used for races as well.

Any comments?

Get a pair of bibs and wear baggies over them!

Baggies with padding are a waste! Like you said not great padding!

Edited by Chubba

I have both:

~ I wear the baggies on my commute (both my boss and my wife said "thank you" when I got them as they got embaressed when I pitch up in bibs, especially my wife as she has a hairsalon ;) )

~ The bibs I wear when I ride the trails, do training, or feel like showing off my mangyna @ work :)

The baggies have bad padding and the foam/material causes my butt to burn after 50minutes in the saddle. Now currently I'm struggling with me weight (up 6kgs from last year) and my bibs are too small so now I have to use my baggies. Did a 2hr ride today and cut it short (no pun intended) as the baggies where causing serious arse burn. I also find them not to absorb the bumps.

So get both, but don't use the baggies for long rides but rather for public appearances like the corner cafe.

EDIT: Since its the new year and I've not mentioned it yet, if you have a vasectomy, wear the bibs for a while instead. Helps reduce the chance of swollen ball syndrome (talking from experience).

Edited by cbrunsdon

It's been a while since I've lasted posted on The Hub!

I need to buy myself new cycling shorts, and this is where my dilemma comes in. Now see, I'm a MTBer through and through.

Up until now I have been riding and racing with bibs, but I rather want to get myself baggy cycling shorts instead. What I'm worried about is that baggy shorts don't have the same "quality" of padding that you would get in bibs.

My question therefore is: which baggy shorts would you highly recommend (under R1,000) that would provide decent padding for a comfy ride? These will be used for races as well.

Any comments?

BIBS ,BIBS, BIBS, Baggies rub up and down your leg while riding , huge irritation. R3SL.

Baggies !! Unless you shave ur legs then I suppose tjhe gay look shouldbe fine . And there's nothing wrong with the padding of baggies .

I have great padding in both my Hoss and Cannondale baggies. The Hoss retail for about R650-R750. I got the Cannondale Singletrack for about R450 from chunkymonkey (sp?) here on the hub.

I wear baggies over ma bib to preserve the quality experience.

Also, to not scrape ma precious Assos bibs in da bush as, being a roadie, I often flop over on the trails.

The baggies I wear are normal light khaki shorts (no padding, ordinary clothing).

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks chaps! Appreciate the feedback!

@Dirt-rider: I agree that baggies just look MTB. No question (and hence the reason for this post). But what some of the guys have raised about "lack of comfort" on the longer rides, worries me a bit. Might follow @AirBender's advice and go for the bibs and wear normal baggies over it.

The new First Ascent baggies are a bit like bibs inside baggies. So no leg chafing, bulging etc.

Bibs. Much more comfy. But rocking up at work with bibs is a big no-no. Then you will have to wear a short or baggies over the bibs.