Road vs MT Biking Attitudes

janneman72

However mountain bikers normally care for the environment, rides more responsible (maybe because they fall harder sometimes)

Seriously? Roadies hit the tar at 70 km/h... I fall muuuuuch harder on my road bike than my mtb.

And most roadies are mtb riders too. It's only "pure" mtb riders that have this strange sense of elitism: we are cool, accepting, caring, fiendly and responsible and it magically happened to us the day we decided to ride thick wheels only...

Bollocks.

As in life you get idiots and nice people everywhere.

I ride mtb and road and use a Nokia.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Agree.

You can't really generalize, on our training ride Saturday morning on North Reef Road here in the East Rand there came a MTBer past us, he didn't greet, he skipped red robots and even failed to acknowledge us after passing him and trying to greet for the second time. You get all sorts in both road riding and mountain biking.

And most roadies are mtb riders too.

And at the annual 24hr when they do the road bike burning, all those roadies cheer along.

you wanna settle this arguement????? EASY! just take a drive to teak place on a sunday morning.

The roadie clowns that think they own the road for some strange reason. i'm not even gonna get into it cuz its self-explainetory. guys riding 5 abreast up a hill in the road when there is a nice size yellow lane?????????

VS the chill out atmosphere in the mtb crowd inside teak.

I mean ive even heard roadies complaining about the riders on the road.

And I have heard MTB'ers throw all their toys and their buddies toys because of fellow mtb riders on a trail. Somehow I am not too convinced that the MTB crowd are all that "relaxed". Some of the guys on this forum have made me decide to rather ride my MTB alone....I have also asked guys inthe area to let me know when they ride, or where to meet as I am the new guy. After almost 18 months I have yet to hear from anyone. I have asked for local trails so I can have a go by myself, also zip!!

I also ride both MTB and road, but my MTB is one of the clean ones....

When I started road I trained with a very experienced group (20 plus), which included a pro-elite and a couple of veterans. I was never told off in a nasty way, or yelled at. They rode around me and taugh me, including the fact that riding 2 abreast is a no-no. When I ask a roadie what route they take, it will almost always end up in an invitation....

So, to sum it up....roadies, in my experience, are the more accomodating and friendly bunch.....in my area.

you wanna settle this arguement????? EASY! just take a drive to teak place on a sunday morning.

The roadie clowns that think they own the road for some strange reason. i'm not even gonna get into it cuz its self-explainetory. guys riding 5 abreast up a hill in the road when there is a nice size yellow lane?????????

With attitudes like yours, i'm sure most chilled mtb'ers are cringing.

There dickwads in all circles. I've seen mtb'ers act like pricks on single trail, and I've seen roadies act like fucknuts as well. I'ts not "mtb vs road" or "campy vs shimano", but the individuals attitude.

And I have heard MTB'ers throw all their toys and their buddies toys because of fellow mtb riders on a trail. Somehow I am not too convinced that the MTB crowd are all that "relaxed". Some of the guys on this forum have made me decide to rather ride my MTB alone....I have also asked guys inthe area to let me know when they ride, or where to meet as I am the new guy. After almost 18 months I have yet to hear from anyone. I have asked for local trails so I can have a go by myself, also zip!!

MTBers are very secretive about trails, especially new trails. They want it to themselves for the first year or so before it gets ruined by the masses.

With attitudes like yours, i'm sure most chilled mtb'ers are cringing.

There dickwads in all circles. I've seen mtb'ers act like pricks on single trail, and I've seen roadies act like fucknuts as well. I'ts not "mtb vs road" or "campy vs shimano", but the individuals attitude.

:clap: :clap: :thumbup:

no disrespect to the guy/gal who started this thread, but after this weekend, this topic about attitudes makes no sense.

i rode yesterday at the cradle. i had a decent response of hello's and enough people greating me and all were on road bikes.

so, this is not a big issue as some people make it out to be.

It's no wonder that MTB riders are so chilled on the hills, they are tired from all the online whining and complaining :D

Ladies and Gents i don’t think there is any argument here, I think 99% of us agree on the topic, Even most of the Roadies (well the ones that have been on here for a while by the looks of things agree with the points) Granted its not true for every individual and there are some gross generalizations taking place in this discussion.

I think we can say not all roadies are twats and not all mountain goats are saints. The general perception i get is that Roadies take their road work very serious and therefore come off as fashion conscious, impolite bastid's most of the time. Now this is not necessarily the case this is just the impression we get. A wave and a smile won’t hurt anyone’s training regime and it does create a sense of comradely on the road.

On the reverse not all of us mountain bikers are super friendly and as charming as we think we are. Yes we tend to be more polite on the road, and yes we are in general more relaxed and we get a different type of enjoyment doing roadwork. But we find our true selves in the mountains and the forests and once we are in that zone, we do become a lot like roadies. We get irritated if someone is hogging the ST because they are less fit or lesser skilled, or don’t ride the latest spez. We have intense arguments of right of way once 30cm peace of track, and that’s when we are in the zone, that’s what we came for that glorious little dirt track that defies gravity and challenges belief.

I think the lesson what we have to learn out of this thread is, being polite costs nothing, if someone does not wave back on the road ignore them and let them be. You can't force someone to be polite. And to the goats, if you get someone holding you up on the track remember that person is trying his or her utmost to develop enough skill to be able to do it fast. So don't sit on their back wheels making them nervous as hell. Rather just stop for a minute give them a nice head start and then test your skill to see how quickly you can catch up with them again. Well at least that’s the game i play.

Edited by covie

Ladies and Gents i don’t think there is any argument here, I think 99% of us agree on the topic, Even most of the Roadies (well the ones that have been on here for a while by the looks of things agree with the points) Granted its not true for every individual and there are some gross generalizations taking place in this discussion.

I think we can say not all roadies are twats and not all mountain goats are saints. The general perception i get is that Roadies take their road work very serious and therefore come off as fashion conscious, impolite bastid's most of the time. Now this is not necessarily the case this is just the impression we get. A wave and a smile won’t hurt anyone’s training regime and it does create a sense of comradely on the road.

On the reverse not all of us mountain bikers are super friendly and as charming as we think we are. Yes we tend to be more polite on the road, and yes we are in general more relaxed and we get a different type of enjoyment doing roadwork. But we find our true selves in the mountains and the forests and once we are in that zone, we do become a lot like roadies. We get irritated if someone is hogging the ST because they are less fit or lesser skilled, or don’t ride the latest spez. We have intense arguments of right of way once 30cm peace of track, and that’s when we are in the zone, that’s what we came for that glorious little dirt track that defies gravity and challenges belief.

I think the lesson what we have to learn out of this thread is, being polite costs nothing, if someone does not wave back on the road ignore them and let them be. You can't force someone to be polite. And to the goats, if you get someone holding you up on the track remember that person is trying his or her utmost to develop enough skill to be able to do it fast. So don't sit on their back wheels making them nervous as hell. Rather just stop for a minute give them a nice head start and then test your skill to see how quickly you can catch up with them again. Well at least that’s the game i play.

:clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

I all seriousness though....

I checked this morning as well, and it seemed everybody that cycles for training or fun will probably acknowledge a greeting. It did seem that those who cycle exclusively for for the purpose of commuting might be the sourpusses. :unsure:

This is weird, I thought about this on Sunday, in the Bellville area the roadies tend to greet each other, you get the occasional stuck-up that refuses to greet you but they are in the minority.

On Sunday I went riding through Camps Bay to Suikerbossie, as normal started greeting my fellow cyclists and get the stare from them, no acknowledgement or greetings back.

Maybe the guys in Southern suburbs are more stuck up :P

Eishh, think I just started a war....

This is weird, I thought about this on Sunday, in the Bellville area the roadies tend to greet each other, you get the occasional stuck-up that refuses to greet you but they are in the minority.

On Sunday I went riding through Camps Bay to Suikerbossie, as normal started greeting my fellow cyclists and get the stare from them, no acknowledgement or greetings back.

Maybe the guys in Southern suburbs are more stuck up :P

Eishh, think I just started a war....

Camps Bay is not the Southern Suburbs !!!!!!

The Glory Boys come from Camps Bay