Chain Cleaner Gadget

Christopher Brunsdon

There is a better way. Buy a nice paint brush with long bristles and some diesel or meths. Simply "paint" the whole drive train with the dipped brush whilst rotating the cranks backwards. Get into the gears, etc. After about 1min it should be spotless. Then spray it with water and wipe it down. Allows to dry and then lube.This is how the pro team mechanics clean a drivetrain. To complete the bikewash just dip the same paintbrush into a big bucket of soapy water after rinsing and do the same to the whole bike. 10min and your bike should be spotless.DO NOT USE PETROL OR BENZINE - FLAMMABLE AND A CAN CAUSE CANCER

sorry to ask a really stupid question but diesel? i can understand the meths but the diesel confuses me.

i had a cheap chain cleaner at one stage which worked ok but was a pain i th ass to put on and get off etc, lookiong at getting a clam shell one to use soon, just need to find a cheap effective degreaser to use once the little bottle that comes with is finished

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to ask a really stupid question but diesel? i can understand the meths but the diesel confuses me.

i had a cheap chain cleaner at one stage which worked ok but was a pain i th ass to put on and get off etc, lookiong at getting a clam shell one to use soon, just need to find a cheap effective degreaser to use once the little bottle that comes with is finished

I also used diesel at one stage. Mainly because it's oil based

Who cares about flammable. Don't use a paintbrush and petrol for the same reason you don't wash your bike (or car) with sunlight (or any dishwashing liquid) The dishwashing stuff, and solvents like petrol remove protective layers from your paintwork. Don't believe me, poo-poo it, swing past a car body repair shop and ask them about caring for the paintwork.

I also got one, why pay R 300 for one when I could get it for r 120 at Mr P. Works like a charm with very hot water and sunlight soap. That chain sparkles like a new one when you are finished.

Agree fully with you on this one Big H

Use Sunlight liquid as a cleaner/degreaser in the chain washer.

Give it a try on any oily greasy part you got.

MAGIC. Just be sure to clean it off any paintwork. Only say this cause I am super careful with my bike so do the diesel carefully. But never had a problem with it.

Thanks, added it to my wish list but see CRC will only get in end Feb. Will get a 5L and give it a go. I got a 2L of the Citrus Clean Green and that worked great when using it with hot water.

I use clean green on my chain and cassette(paint it on)and leave to sit for a few minutes. then run it through the chain cleaner with a bit of sunlight once or twice and its spotless. That clean green stuff works like a bomb! :thumbup:

Guys. The use of petrol, diesel, paraffin etc to clean chains is plain criminal.

Where does the excess go. How do you dispose of the stuff?

Please don't answer the question, you may incriminate yourself.

Getting this stuff in the soil and in the water system is not kosher. Don't do it.

Most of earth's pollution doesn't come from mega disasters like oil tankers hitting the rocks. It comes from incrimental pulluting events like bike washing with diesel.

Don't do it. Use soapy suff.

OK, so the verdict is the gadget works! I will admit my chain was already clean but the chain scrubber did clean the inside parts. From what I've read on the internets and now my experience, I will say that unless your buying thae Park Tool version, do not pay more than a R100 note for the gadget and even at that price make sure your getting some brushes with it.

Why I feel the device works for me is that I use Wet Lube and my bike is a commuter. The device is a bit awkward at first to use, but it works. Very noisy and if your chain is a bit dirty (and sucks), the device does at times slip out of your hands and bang into your chainset..

Would I recomend it, well it all depends if your paying R100 or not, unless its the Park Tool version. I've not used the Park Tool but its selling point is its magnet to catch metal filings and you can get service kits for it - then again the service kits cost the price my chain scrubber.

How often would I use it, well I believe in only cleaning my chain when the wife biatches about grease marks on my pants from lifting the bike onto the wall bracket in the garage. So its about 2-3 times in the lifespan of my chain, since my bike is now a commuter, that is 300km or once a month.

I will say that from reading other reviews concerning the Grunge Brush, I plan to also add it to my list of gadgets. The Grung Brush can be sourced from Take2.co.za for R140-R180 via their Amazon Portal.

@JB: While getting out the last precious piece of Blitz to light my very wet Cape Rooikrans, I'm going to recycle any Parafin by using it to braai next time. Getting one of those reusable blitz blocks (its actually an offcut of the kilen bricks) from my butcher next weekend.

Must say that the citrus clean green is wicked but going to also get a 25L of Prepsol as we can use it in the house and my wife can use it at her work.

Got the Park Tool clam shell type cleaner - R450

Works like a charm - Bike has that new feel when next ridden!

Must say damn expensive but what else can be expected at the LBS

That Grunge Brush definitely looks the answer - fitting the clamshell type cleaner can be messy and a mission , are Grunge Brush sold locally or on CRC?

PS - Cleen Green 2L bottle at virtually every Checkers I've been at - R34!!!!

Works great , environmentally safe - pop it in a spray bottle and go mad

The dishwashing stuff, and solvents like petrol remove protective layers from your paintwork. Don't believe me, poo-poo it, swing past a car body repair shop and ask them about caring for the paintwork.

100% Correct. I only use dishwashing liquid on my car once a year, when stripping away wax in preparation for clay barring and a fresh base layer of Meguiar's NXT. Maybe it's just me, but paintwork has been the thing on a bike I've always been least worried about. Bikes are scratched and scuffed anyway (unlike cars), and IMHO a perfect paint job on a bike is about as useful as a cock-flavoured Magnum ice cream. To me, cleaning a bike is about getting and keeping moving parts working smoothly to improve performance and reduce wear. The rest is just a bonus. Of course, it helps that my current bike is shiny ball-burnished, so I can just use Silvo to get it perfect if I need to...

Edited by Martin Hattingh

That Grunge Brush definitely looks the answer - fitting the clamshell type cleaner can be messy and a mission , are Grunge Brush sold locally or on CRC?

I used my Grunge Brush again just now to clean two bikes, works like a charm. I suppose R160 is quite pricey, but it's something you buy once, I've had mine for about 3 years or so (think I paid about R100 at Olympic back then).

Guys. The use of petrol, diesel, paraffin etc to clean chains is plain criminal.

Where does the excess go. How do you dispose of the stuff?

Please don't answer the question, you may incriminate yourself.

Getting this stuff in the soil and in the water system is not kosher. Don't do it.

Most of earth's pollution doesn't come from mega disasters like oil tankers hitting the rocks. It comes from incrimental pulluting events like bike washing with diesel.

Don't do it. Use soapy suff.

I feed the excess to my pitbill. That is why he is called Diesel. Fights like a Tasmanian Devil after the fact.