How soon after having a baby did you start riding again?

Ok so I realise this is mainly directed at the woman riders, but out of interest, how soon after giving birth did you manage to get back into the saddle and start training again? And have you managed to maintain/juggle your riding with motherhood, or does it really not work?

Our children were grown up when I started cycling, breast feeding while cycling would be difficult though as would feeding Purity..... a bottle would be better!!!!!!!

Edited by Big H

Mrs Slowbee here... from a physical point of view you can probably be on your bike again after 2wks. If you have a good nanny or baby sitter, getting out on your bike for even 30mins will do your emotions the world of good!! How you juggle training and a new- born depends entirely on you, your priorities and your lifestyle. Its much like going back to work - some manage it with ease and others choose to rather stay home. With a good support network (especially your husband!) you should be able to get back into your training program relatively easily. Even breastfeeding shouldn't be a hurdle as long as you have enough to express so that your care giver can do the bottle feed. If you are reluctant to leave your baby alone in the first few months, an IDT with your baby monitor close at hand should do the trick! Having said all of that, emotionally, the first few weeks and months can be extremely daunting and tough so its important to not put any added pressure on yourself. Ride because its good for the soul and not because you have to : ) Good Luck!!

Mrs Slowbee here... from a physical point of view you can probably be on your bike again after 2wks. If you have a good nanny or baby sitter, getting out on your bike for even 30mins will do your emotions the world of good!! How you juggle training and a new- born depends entirely on you, your priorities and your lifestyle. Its much like going back to work - some manage it with ease and others choose to rather stay home. With a good support network (especially your husband!) you should be able to get back into your training program relatively easily. Even breastfeeding shouldn't be a hurdle as long as you have enough to express so that your care giver can do the bottle feed. If you are reluctant to leave your baby alone in the first few months, an IDT with your baby monitor close at hand should do the trick! Having said all of that, emotionally, the first few weeks and months can be extremely daunting and tough so its important to not put any added pressure on yourself. Ride because its good for the soul and not because you have to : ) Good Luck!!

thanks Mrs Slowbee, youve been a big help! :thumbup:

thanks Mrs Slowbee, youve been a big help! :thumbup:

Whatever you do do it it consultation with your Gynea. Also consider spinning with a cycling based group for the first few weeks as you can have the new baby closeby if neccesary. This would ensure you do not lose fitness. Go out for bike rides when you are ready on weekends as spinning can become boring very quickly.

I had to turn my wif's stem around (higher) to allow for her boep... i rode the day after the baby was born... not a problem...

Our children were grown up when I started cycling, breast feeding while cycling would be difficult though as would feeding Purity..... a bottle would be better!!!!!!!

Hydration pack ??

I was running at the time of #1 and #2 arriving but I'm sure the same principal applies. had c-section with both which needs a longer recovery but started power walking within about 10 days and running within 2 weeks (racing in 5 weeks).

time is the biggest challenge: changing my goals to shorter distances at higher intensities paid off with better performances than before the children arrived.

Does sport and motherhood really work? depends on your support system (I always joke that from a logistical perspective I need a wife and not a husband :unsure: ). Get your priorities in order and use them as a guide when making decisions (mine are God, Husband, Children, Me/bike)

Does sport and motherhood really work? depends on your support system (I always joke that from a logistical perspective I need a wife and not a husband :unsure: ). Get your priorities in order and use them as a guide when making decisions (mine are God, Husband, Children, Me/bike)

Change your priorities or have changing priorities or, better still, dont have priorities at all.

Your mindset dictates whats possible and it looks like you've painted yourself into a corner.

Possibly.

baby was born on 5 oct my wife was a keen runner but with breast feeding was advised to keep her HR under 160 she started walking /exercising 6 weeks to the day with the odd run of 5-8 k's on advice from the doc

She wanted to do the Argus for the first time so got on a bike for the first time after about 10 weeks I assume a keen cyclist would have started around the 6 week stage

She is still breast feeding so it just takes a bit of planning

The nice thing about new born babies is that they are really small. So you can take them with you on the ride by removing the bladder from your hydration pack and just slotting them in there. This negates the need for a baby seat, which also saves you money. By wearing the hydration pack the wrong way around you may alse be able to breastfeed whilst out riding. This way everyone wins!

The nice thing about new born babies is that they are really small. So you can take them with you on the ride by removing the bladder from your hydration pack and just slotting them in there. This negates the need for a baby seat, which also saves you money. By wearing the hydration pack the wrong way around you may alse be able to breastfeed whilst out riding. This way everyone wins!

Except you! Would love to see Mrs Squier reply to this........

Cycling is interfering with you raising plants, let alone kids!

I was always told not to go and swim for atleast 30 minutes after you've had lunch, so I guess the same can apply for having a baby.