R12.00 Cokes at Tokai

my_intense

Lol no Grumpy I am just as frugal with my work budgets, my point was simply that when your in a 5 star establishment they cater for a 5 star budget hence you expect to be ripped off there since thats the business model.

The rest of my comments directed at the south african moron mentality, is just the way South African management think they do employee's a favour by employing them. I have worked for many SA companies and many europian based companies and beleive me I will never again work for a SA comapny.

Lets take a bussiness trip analogy

SA company Busines trip avg Middlemanagement)

1, Stick employee id third class accomodation

2. Give minimal subsistance allowance

3. Give employe a city golf let employee beg for one with aircon

Europian comany Middle Management

1. 5 Star acomoadation of the employee's chocie

2. Give 30% above recommended subsistance allownance plus an entertainment allowance

3. Standard option is an A class rental vehicle BMW, Merc or SUV

4. Once enteraintment allowance depleted cover 50% of additional personal expenses.

And thats the difference, Europian companies treasure a good employee and they are willing to make his/her life as easy as possible, I mean my word, its tax deductable so its a win win situation, I am more than happy to travel for my company which i do regularly, I enjoy my travels and over perform on deadlines since I then get a "paid vacation"

South African companies make sure your miserable, and that you only have enough cash to eat dodgy food, and get to your location of work. And you have to say yes Boss thank you Boss for paying me at the end of the month.

On previous businees trips I have been lucky enough to go Ski in Switzerland, Mountainbike in Wales, Tour Germany Italy, Netherlands, and it did not cost me a cent. i am happy to to Travel, can live with fact that i wont see my family for a while and i will bleed for my company, Now lets vote how many people working for your A typical South African company will say the same thing. Till SA companies learn that employee's are assets and not legal slaves to be dumped on, you will keep on wondering why your business does not perform the way it should, why you employees arent motivated, and why everyone thinks the boss is a ****.

Simple as that.

So, tell me, who is paying for all your 5-star fun in the end? *Gasp*, surely not the person who complains about an expensive consumer product?

By accepting gratuitous spending as the way things should be ("Hey, if Europeans can get all this nice stuff, why shouldn't I?!") without understanding that revenue bases and a ton of other factors make European business a different ball game to SA business, you're perpetuating waste. Keep on working for a foreign company, you're clearly entitled to luxury.

There is nothing as evil as an unjustifiable sense of entitlement. Simple as that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what about teh R30 buck entry fee to ride - is any of that getting plouged back in to maintain the trails?

what about teh R30 buck entry fee to ride - is any of that getting plouged back in to maintain the trails?

most people (on wildcard) pay a lot less than R30 to ride there each time. I think the trail is in pretty good shape currently despite how dusty it is. but it would be nice to know where its all going(central fund no doubt)

could be because there is the small matter of 1200 racers using it one day in march.

I know hubbers dont like direct comparisons to costs here in Switz, but 12 Ronds is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Chf 3.50 (25 Ronds) for 330ml from a vending machine and generaly the same price in the shops.

At least from the vending machine they are cold, in a restaurant they come luke warm ohne eis without ice.

It's a service offered:

Use it or lose it.

[12 moola is steep, of course]

Yes it is steep, especially as we here in Nigeria..... a so called third world country, pay only R5-00 a can...... makes you think does it not??????

I know hubbers dont like direct comparisons to costs here in Switz, but 12 Ronds is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Chf 3.50 (25 Ronds) for 330ml from a vending machine and generaly the same price in the shops.

At least from the vending machine they are cold, in a restaurant they come luke warm ohne eis without ice.

Aber wir verdienen kein 'Swiss Franken' mein alte :rolleyes:

You know the "coke index" is a tool economists use to compare economies....

I've heard about the Big Mac Index for exchange rates but never the Coke Index.

You know the "coke index" is a tool economists use to compare economies....

Didn't I once read it was the McD's begga? Then again I guess Coke is available in far more countries in the world Fand?

Aber wir verdienen kein 'Swiss Franken' mein alte :rolleyes:

Unt ich habe weniger Fraken als Ronds, viel weniger :thumbdown:

I've heard about the Big Mac Index for exchange rates but never the Coke Index.

Most travel companies use this as a quick reference to cost of living.... :thumbup:

About a month ago I finished my Boerie Curtain ride from Hillcrest, Contermans, Kliprug, Meerendal via the green corridor, back over to Hillcrest. At the end of the ride I was quite thirsty, so I popped in at the coffee shop at Hillcrest. Guess what: A coke was something like R16 each. I also got the impression that the Durbanville tannies that were having lunch after kerk was not too happy about us dusty cyclists within smelling distance from their lunch. I accept that the coffee shop is not aimed at us cyclists, and don't expect to pay R6 a coke there. Maybe the Tygerberg Club should negotiate for space for a shop from where trail fees can be collected over weekends and cooldrinks etc can be sold.

Tokai may have a similar challenge in that the shop is not there exclusively for mountainbikers. At most sit-down coffee shops we pay R12 a coke or more. Why not have another tuc-shop type of opperation aimed at cyclists and trail users.

Coke is poison anyway man - rather drink water and eat some nuts :P

Hey, that gay bashing thread was closed. :lol:

Serious guys DJR and leet22,

buy the guys out, make them an offer they can not refuse! Take a wheel spanner and baseball bat if need be!!

Turn that little coffee shop into your own Gold mine! Carrying a tub of vaseline with you to places like those are no fun! I want to actually enjoy it when I get screwed.

But back to the topic. You will invest quite a bit of money into the place. It will however return your investment within a 2 years, this is based upon the way you speak about the potential of the coffee shop.