Whose your granny?

Just Keep Pedaling

I once rode Caroo to Coast 2x9...32/44 - 11-32.

You'll def. need your granny if you want to ride all the sections in Attakwas...

That's why I did the whole race with a granny.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from Gauteng and have ridden around the Cape without a granny.

Your Granny go to the beach instead? :P

Another point to note is that on most 3x9 setups with a wide bb (loads of full sussers) the smallest front chainring gives you a better chainline. It's a physics thing, if your chain is pulling your cassette at a high angle you're wasting energy. It's there for a reason.

I ride a 2x9, 24/36 up front with a bash guard and 11-32 on the back, every now an then for a race like sani (where i come last) ill take off the bashguard for a bigring, takes about 2 mins to do.

I followed a different route when changing to a 2x9:

The BB is wide (73mm vs 69mm?), i.e. you only require one spacer on the drive-side instead of the two on the drive-side and the one on the non-drive side.

I swap the spacer to the non-drive side, although the Q-factor changed I haven´t noticed any difference.

I suspect my left hip will be the first to indicate any alignment problem. Just completed an extensive bout of power training,(big gears, 50-60rpm) and no problems.

With the above set-up chain-line is excellent, I do experience some chain-rub on front deraileur. To counteract this I dail the barrel adjuster on the fly.

Try doing a multi-day race without Granny - First 2 days you might be fine, but day 5-9 you'll be using it for every little bump....

Try doing a multi-day race without Granny - First 2 days you might be fine, but day 5-9 you'll be using it for every little bump....

J2C no problem.

It's all about getting the right gear ratios on the bike.

My Granny is great, she always has biscuits or cake when I come over for a visit ... on the bike though the granny gear is rather useless