open water swimming in Emmerentia dam?

Does anyone know if it is safe to swim in the dam? I have seen the occasional person swimming near the pavillion.

Does anyone know if I need a membership to any club/society to swim in the dam and use the canoe jetty as a entrance/exit?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if it is safe to swim in the dam? I have seen the occasional person swimming near the pavillion.

Does anyone know if I need a membership to any club/society to swim in the dam and use the canoe jetty as a entrance/exit?

I think you can just arrive.

Ask flex - I've seen him in the water in the mornings.

As for the safety, I'd be a little worried after the Germiston Lake fiasco. flex swears it's safe, but I don't like the look of those yellow and black skull-and-crossbones signs warning one to keep out of the water...

I started swimming there 2 weeks ago and its fine. So far I have no thumbs growing out of my forehead and no strange fungus growing in my crack, so give it a whirl!

No membership required. I just parked in the club parking lot and jumped in by the jetty. Its nice because there is a big digital clock there that you can use to time your swims. Its 1km around the big white outer buoys. Be sure to swim clockwise, in the same direction as the canoeists. And use a brightly coloured swim cap, I was wearing a black one the first time I swam there and nearly got mowed down by one inadvertently.

I think you can just arrive.

Ask flex - I've seen him in the water in the mornings.

As for the safety, I'd be a little worried after the Germiston Lake fiasco. flex swears it's safe, but I don't like the look of those yellow and black skull-and-crossbones signs warning one to keep out of the water...

Beat me to it Jmac. And I can't argue with the Germiston point. I'd feel better if someone actually tested the E-Coli and Coliform count in there...

Thanks Flex,

How hard is it to test for these things, i'm sure someone in the hospo business could get hold of a little piece of paper that tells you? I'm sure if you've been swimming there for a couple of weeks with no issues its fine enough. I wander if the high rainfall means high turn over of water and therefore cleaner water.

What time do you usually swim?

Would'nt catch me in that water!

Why not just swim at the gym? Thats what Ive always done and managed 32mins @ 70.3 last month.

Else make the trip every few weeks to buffelspoort.

Also look out for open water swim events like midmar and the sun city swim etc.

Risking Ecoli and GD knows what else isnt worth it when you got a reasonably clean gym pool that will at wost give you an ear infection (still trying to fight one)

Its true that it is easier to just swim in the gym pool, but for training for open water swims, open water swimming is the best thing for it. I find them two quite different things and would like to get better at the open water stuff.

i often fall out of my boat when i paddle there ... it's not really 'swimming', but i've been in the water quite often. so far, no incidents.

Thanks Flex,

How hard is it to test for these things, i'm sure someone in the hospo business could get hold of a little piece of paper that tells you? I'm sure if you've been swimming there for a couple of weeks with no issues its fine enough. I wander if the high rainfall means high turn over of water and therefore cleaner water.

What time do you usually swim?

No worries. I normally am in the water before 6am, its taking longer to get light these days so my start time is tending to get a bit later too. Happy to let you know the next time I'm going if you're keen to join.

@Zula - I totally agree that pool is preferable, but its just a different ball game swimming in open water compared to the pool, as I'm sure you know. It made a big difference at Xterra that I'd done a few OW sessions at Emmerentia. I think as I do more triathlons and get more OW experience, the need to train at the dam will subside somewhat.

No worries. I normally am in the water before 6am, its taking longer to get light these days so my start time is tending to get a bit later too. Happy to let you know the next time I'm going if you're keen to join.

@Zula - I totally agree that pool is preferable, but its just a different ball game swimming in open water compared to the pool, as I'm sure you know. It made a big difference at Xterra that I'd done a few OW sessions at Emmerentia. I think as I do more triathlons and get more OW experience, the need to train at the dam will subside somewhat.

I agree with you, open water swimming is a different kettle of fish entirely!

But I reckon you'd be fine doing most of your training in a pool and then an open water swim every now and then just so thats its not so foreign.

Dont get me wrong, if it were the perfect world Id swim in emmarentia every day of the week! But our municipalities have slipped in a BIG way all around Gauteng and this just ends up witht the risk outweighing the reward. I guess some would say the same for road riding and even mtb, so what ever floats the boat I guess!

I started swimming there 2 weeks ago and its fine. So far I have no thumbs growing out of my forehead and no strange fungus growing in my crack, so give it a whirl!

Have you checked in the mirror recently? ;-)

Hmmm must say I enjoy the pool at VA Cresta, swimming in dark cold water on my own does not conjure up any great thoughts ... I prefer to have hot babes swimming in the lane next to me :rolleyes:

Quite a few ironman guys and girl go and swim in bass lake (Henley) for "open water" training

I've swum there too as part of my Rescue Diver scuba qualification. Was fat and unfit back then and had to swim 400m, I remember having to hang on the buoy halfway to prevent myself from drowning. Eish.

On the plus side, the water is reasonably clean - its just a bit far to drive from Northern JHB.