cyclist killed in Allandale rd

steve

Sad and scarey,I also use this road at least once a week,actually used it this morning was totally unware of theĀ incident that happened yesterday.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed well a way from it for ages, but used it on Wed to get to Kyalami was not to bad at 4pm, less potholes to dodge than going through Vorna Valley. I will however never use the K101 towards woodmead past the quarry during the week. Each taxi tries to get a little closer with their mirror as they go past.

Sometimes I wonder if some taxis don't do it on purpose (coming past you as close as possible - taking your elbow of with mirror) Gasbomb sounds good crashing through a window...

Ā 

RIP fellow cyclist...

Ā 

Ā 

A rush for time has replaced the respect for live. Dodging left in the yellow lane around a car seems like a great option to save 10 seconds. Well I suppose thats a great way to summarise South africa in general, no respect for life.

Yip, like that 10s is going to help?

Ā 

Thats why I mainly ride my MTB less traffic to worry about..... only hijackers!!!

Motorists have the nerve to tell us we don't obey the rules of the road. I cycle 2 hours every morning, drive around all day in my car as I am in sales and then run on the roads in the evening (triathlete). Nobody gives a continental about road rules, cars go thru red lights, stop streets, illegal u turns, talking on cell phones so I say they can stick their crap attitude to us cyclists. I am never afraid to despatch a water bottle at a car if they deserve it. And I pay my taxes so have every damn right to use the public road.

Ā 

Sorry just a bit wound up about our safety!

I am never afraid to despatch a water bottle at a car if they deserve it.

Ā 

cycling tip of the day ! Excellent

Have also been known to throw a water bottle at a car, and even my keys once, realised what I was doing and managed to stop the throw, but then dropped them and had to turn a round EmbarrassedĀ kinda took the wind out of my sails..LOL

HOWEVER

My fear is that the hotheaded response pushes the motorists, and those in the vicinity (who may not have seen the initial offence) into the waiting arms of halfwits like Mr/Ms De Beer....

I try to make my point by shaking my head or shrugging my shoulders as if to say 'thanks dude, nice one' (not much use of you're in a crumpled heap in a ditch I know) and hope that he will be just alittle bit embarrassed and try harder to avoid the next cyclist...

Maybe the moral high ground is a better place.

Ā 

On the other hand maybe I should stop smoking my socks and buy a gun LOLĀ Ā 

Number 1: my condolences go out to the family and friends. R.I.P. friend.

Ā 

Number 2 (my rant): Guys, everyone is blaming the taxis and buses, and yes, they might cause ***.Ā  BUT, while commuting and training I have found the taxis and busses to really try to help cyclists (i.e. cross the road, etc.) IF you show them your intentions.Ā  I cycled through Primrose and Germiston (lekker busy) and not ONCE did I have big problems with them.Ā  Some early mornings I ride back on Louis Botha Ave, and NOT ONCE have I felt threatened.Ā  I felt rather safe as the okes gave me gaps, showed me to cross (if and when I pointed, etc etc).Ā  On the other hand I had years of hassle with lady and "Big Boy" drivers in their BM's, Mercs and 4x4.Ā  I once had a small fall because one d*&s cut me off, trying to get into a parking.Ā  He then had the audacity to tell me that I should look behind me more often.Ā  So please, the taxis do cause ***, but we (vehicle drivers) are just as much at fault.

Ā 

As for TooHot, yes, we JAAG in Jhb.Ā  I've found (personal experience) that it's because you spend HOURS a day in your car.Ā  I used to spend 2:30 to 3:00 a day in my car.Ā  And that aggrivates you.Ā  And THEN you start causing problems.Ā  I've acknowledge it, I was a road rage incident, I wanted to klap an oke with a "spitgraaf".Ā  I would've killed the oke!!!Ā  But I came to my senses.Ā  Now, as Spidey says, "smile and wave, smile and wave"

Ā 

Lastly, we had a huge discussion about cycling lanes, etc.Ā  Why can't the CSA start representing us in stuff like this.Ā  If Latrinus can do so much by himself, what will happen if we have the whole board of the CSA working for us?Ā  Please, I don't want to go on and on about clubs, this is just a "klip in die bos".

Ā 

Guys and gals, one more question.Ā  We moan and groan and winge about road rage.Ā  Isn't throwing your water bottle at someone's car road rage (please, I'm NOT pointing fingers!!!!)?

Unfortunately I don't think you can even put it down to people pressed for time, I was told by the driver of one of those dump trucks working on the Gautrain tunnel in Rosebank/Sandton "you better keep out of my way or I will ****you up" this was 7.30am on Sunday morning.

There was no one else on the road, he changed lanes to chase me down (I was rolling about 55-60km/h on one of the good down hills from Illovo) so I spent 2 hours waiting to fill out a form at the Police station. Waste of time that was as we all know. So I don't bother with that side of things anymore.

I was offered condolences by other people in the que at the station, you wouldn't believe how many people are standing in a que to report a motor vehicle accident at 7.30am on a Sunday morning...

Anyway, I am on the road by 5.30am even on the weekends now or go with a big bunch which I don't always like doing because groups quite often fragrantly piss motorists off. The motorists then take their anger out on the guys who are training on their own.

So yes we are partially to blame too and not all taxi drivers are bad either, a taxi stopped the traffic the other day when all the lights were out on Luis Botha so I could go through - this was in rush hour traffic.

I was so surprised I thought I was going to cry, it was such a nice thing to have my stereotype busted up!

Absolutely ewep, it is a classic sign of road rage...

And it is a fight a cyclist is unlikely to win

And we forget that we can NEVER win sean.Ā  The cyclist wants to do what he/she does in the car, i.e. swear, sign, etc.Ā  But he/she forgets that the piece of carbon being pedalled has NO means of protection.

Ā 

But then, why are only the cyclists targeted?Ā  What about runners, what about the guys doing PT next to the highway, or the "hoek smouse"?

Ā 

Number 1: my condolences go out to the family and friends. R.I.P. friend.

Ā 

Number 2 (my rant): Guys, everyone is blaming the taxis and buses, and yes, they might cause ***.Ā  BUT, while commuting and training I have found the taxis and busses to really try to help cyclists (i.e. cross the road, etc.) IF you show them your intentions.Ā  I cycled through Primrose and Germiston (lekker busy) and not ONCE did I have big problems with them.Ā  Some early mornings I ride back on Louis Botha Ave, and NOT ONCE have I felt threatened.Ā  I felt rather safe as the okes gave me gaps, showed me to cross (if and when I pointed, etc etc).Ā  On the other hand I had years of hassle with lady and "Big Boy" drivers in their BM's, Mercs and 4x4.Ā  I once had a small fall because one d*&s cut me off, trying to get into a parking.Ā  He then had the audacity to tell me that I should look behind me more often.Ā  So please, the taxis do cause ***, but we (vehicle drivers) are just as much at fault.

Ā 

As for TooHot, yes, we JAAG in Jhb.Ā  I've found (personal experience) that it's because you spend HOURS a day in your car.Ā  I used to spend 2:30 to 3:00 a day in my car.Ā  And that aggrivates you.Ā  And THEN you start causing problems.Ā  I've acknowledge it, I was a road rage incident, I wanted to klap an oke with a "spitgraaf".Ā  I would've killed the oke!!!Ā  But I came to my senses.Ā  Now, as Spidey says, "smile and wave, smile and wave"

Ā 

Lastly, we had a huge discussion about cycling lanes, etc.Ā  Why can't the CSA start representing us in stuff like this.Ā  If Latrinus can do so much by himself, what will happen if we have the whole board of the CSA working for us?Ā  Please, I don't want to go on and on about clubs, this is just a "klip in die bos".

Agreed mate!! I've always believed that the issue here is not cyclist v's motorist but a " normal" society v's the South African one!! We cetainly hold delusions of grandeur and entitlement and that goes across all the demographics of this country!!Ā Kiwi you sadly cannot compare the land of the long white cloud with that of the long rainbow illusion!!