Look my Orbea.......

Help.Me.

Whilst doing the Herald 42km MTB race Saturday with my daughter my bike just collapsed under me.

looks like you need to get your daughter her own bike - you and your daughter aren't both meant to be riding the bike at the same time!

in all seriousness though, that's pretty hectic (was probably darn scary!) - look like a combination of fatigue under the down tube (crack in the tube) and shoddy welding as the seat tube appears fairly intact. probably got too hot during welding causing the material to become too stiff and brittle and likely to fail.

I bought this bike because a friend of mine also has an Orbea (older version blue coloured) and he was very happy with it. He is also a bit on the heavy side 105 -110 kg range. The places he goes with that thing is quite scary, i am much more cautious and a real (banggat) compared to them. He sold his recently and it is still going strong. .....SCARY IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT..... you just start falling for "no reason" until you inspect the bike afterwards!!!!

Did the frame have a drianage hole ?? Looks like water got inside

About the hole, i have to go and look am not sure?? Will the water have an effect on the frame? Is it not aluminium?

Bought the bike brand new in December 2008

Can't you do a warranty claim on the frame? What is the warranty on an Orbea frame?

Jeez! Hectic! Glad you are ok.

Looks like there was lack of fusion in the welding on the back-end of where the seat tube meets the BB shell. Probably went loose there and sheared towards the front when the pedals were loaded as the down tube welding looks intact.

You need a power meter :o

Would love to see what sort of power you are putting on the cranks ;)

You are very lucky you were riding slow when this happened.

Heck with the BB shell going like that you can be lucky it is only your shoulder and ankle and not your ... well ... BB's!

Good to hear you came of relatively OK!

Can't you do a warranty claim on the frame? What is the warranty on an Orbea frame?

According to my LBS 5 years warranty on the frame, he is in the process of "claiming" for the frame, and i know it is going to take for ever to sort it out... and i am without a bike :(

You need a power meter :o

Would love to see what sort of power you are putting on the cranks ;)

You are very lucky you were riding slow when this happened.

No man ... i am an average rider :lol: 185cm and 101.5kg

I cracked a hardtail orbea frame a couple of months ago. Luckily I saw it before it snapped clean off though. Mine cracked on the chainstay next to a weld as well. Dodgy welding by orbea?? I was unfortunate enough to be the 2nd owner of the frame tho, so no warranty claim for me :( ...just a really big desk ornament in my room now.

just while on the topic sorry to go off topic but for example if your frame breaks after 3 years and it has a 5 year warrantee, do you need your pop to get the frame replaced?