Ride for Sight !!

Gobbo

No problem with the organization in our social group. Was seeded in the CL group but rode with friends in EL. Pace was hectic but no incidents and thanks to the guy on the motorcycle. Eventhough some cyclist at some stage crossed the white line, he was totally in control and no shouting to get back. (situation was not dangerous I must say)

Must say I fail to understand why people ride licenced when they get caught by the EL group before SBR. Waste of money if you ask me. We passed a few C3 and C4 riders.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My passenger and I had a great time in the social tandem group. 31km/h average ... I thought it's good until I saw 49 ... you sure it's not a typo? Only do that in my car!

Rode in racing tandems, and "AL" combined in a group.

What were they smoking to do this combo? :blush: :o

It was hairy, and very fast. When we caught C4 then it became even worse. Mayhem...got pushed of the road to avoid a potential crash when C4's started getting into our group. Surely there were sufficient tandems to start independently..Not a good arrangement as far as I'm concerned.

The weather was good, waterpoints and road was good, and my daughter and I got a 3.04 which we were pleased with.

I started in the cl group. When I saw we were going to catch the biogen group, I suspected big trouble because of the size of the bunch that was about to form.

In came a few minutes later in form of a high speed crash. Hope the riders that went down were ok.

That incident caused the bunch to split.

I started in the cl group. When I saw we were going to catch the biogen group, I suspected big trouble because of the size of the bunch that was about to form.

In came a few minutes later in form of a high speed crash. Hope the riders that went down were ok.

That incident caused the bunch to split.

1 Lady and 2 guys went down... both guys broke collarbones and the lady had a bloodied elbow. The times between groups was just 2 narrow. Slightly bigger groups at the start and further apart would have been better?

1 Lady and 2 guys went down... both guys broke collarbones and the lady had a bloodied elbow. The times between groups was just 2 narrow. Slightly bigger groups at the start and further apart would have been better?

Was that perhaps at the top of the 'steps'?

Guys, please send me your complaints and suggestions via pm. I have no problem with ya'll discussing it here, but if you send your issues direct to me,I will be better able to forward them to the relevant people, and supply relevant feedback.

To those that enjoyed the event,thank you, to those with comment or suggestion, thank you, I will endeavour to get them raised at the correct forum.

An aside, today's cat1 race was one of the best I have seen in recent years. Well done to Christoff and the MTN team, a plan well executed. Well done to Ian McLeod for doing everything possible to take the win, you can see the class of an ex pro tour rider.

Yup, thats the one

Saw it on our training ride (in the opposite direction :thumbup: ) - looked like they were being well looked after by the medics, well done organisers :clap: :clap:

As always the race was well organised.

My gripe was that I came back from a warm up ride and heard the announcer saying TL and AL is already at the start line.... This was more than 25 mins before the start time.

So I was on my way to the pen and got directed to the start line. Needless to say when I got there I was in teh last third. Not a happy chappy and I knew the first 20 mins chasing from that far back will be the closest to hell I'd get today.

Marshalling was ok, but the Cat 4 story pissed me off big time due to the fact that our bunch doubled in size and it was on a dangerous part of the course approaching the steps....

Maybe if I knew in advance what the story was with the start, I could have cut my warm up short, be on time and had a civil start. But all ended well!

Sticking the Tandems with AL gave AL a 20 Min Advantage over BL. Winning time in AL was seriously 20+mins ahead of BL.

Glad that i got off that one in one piece

Everyone seems to have the same comment here. That the races are dangerous. The Herald in PE was the same, big bunches and very dangerous, cars coming from the front, riders pushing in to miss them. NOT NICE.

These new rules for bigger bunches does not work in SA. We need full road closure for that sort of racing. And the seeding has to be correct. They are not seeding the bunches properly at all.

I recon cyclists should stop supporting the events that are dangerous. You pay entry fee for and organised event in which there is no regard for the safety of its participants. You are putting your life and well being in danger by supporting these events.

Lets learn from our black population... MASS ACTION!!! that’s what gets results!!!

Hit the organisers where it hurts. Thier pockets! and they will hit CSA to fix the problems.

Many riders don't think to well (Brain Fart mixed with testorone) I was on a Tandem and there 4 or 5 of us going through the F bunch at 55km/h when some chop from New Horizons tries to jump on the back wheel of the second tandem :angry: :angry: very very scary.

I have not raced for over6 years was good to be back in the bunch :D

I also started in A bunch. My first race for the year end my first ride for sight, The first 50 was fast, and then came the hills, Yes the tandems helped with the pace but it was scary, I am happy with my time, I still need some hill training, I was amazed when we caught up with the C4 bunch so soon,

I will definitely be back next year

Lots of breaking and swearing in the Bunch :lol:

Edited by Feniks