the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds good kosmonooit ... ya you will enjoy that thing way more than the scalpel on the Downs - the Ups will suck in comparison though ... but thats the price you pay i suppose -

the lines are very blurred between disciplines, i think it's more a "sliding" scale than a set amount of travel per discipline

XC > Trail > AM > FR/DH

100mm > > > > > > 200mm+

trail bikes can be anything from 120mm-140mm, AM bikes from 140mm-170mm, it all depends on the bike. My Mongoose 100mm hardtail is my "all mountain" bike, I have yet to chuck it off something really big, but I ride sections like the lower "black" route at Contermanskloof just fine on it (without the chicken run) - it's the only bike I can afford so I use it for whatever it's needed. It's been upgraded with burly wheels, shin-eating flat pedals and boobars :thumbup:

Ideally what I'd like as a Trail / all-mountain rig is something like a 2nd hand GT force, Specialized Stumpy OR Enduro, Giant Reign, etc or if I come into some money the new Reign X (love it), Santa Cruz Butcher / Nomad, etc

Personally I think 150mm is the magic number. I have nothing to base that on though :lol:

I rode a Commencal Meta 5 ('07 model) for a year. I can't say I attempted anything crazy like Red Bull Rampage, but that bike could certainly handle what I threw at it... All mountain exists in my eyes.

Now riding a Specialized Epic - cross country has become my thing :P

I must agree on the Specialized Enduro.

I been riding the 2010 model since August and it simply RULES!

I ride DH with it AND XC. I even rode Karoo to Coast to it and it really does climb well.

The only "problem" is that it has no big ring upfront, meaning topping 60 km/hr is very difficult :P

You will in no way be disappointed with this bike.

The 2011 one has many different models, including one with a coil rear shock for harder hits.

You can pick them up second hand for "relatively" cheap, but new you should get away (after bargaining) with a lil under R30 000...

Anyhoo, my 2c worth :)

I rode a Commencal Meta 5 ('07 model) for a year. I can't say I attempted anything crazy like Red Bull Rampage, but that bike could certainly handle what I threw at it... All mountain exists in my eyes.

Now riding a Specialized Epic - cross country has become my thing :P

that's another one - meta 5.5's go for a song 2nd hand (there's one here on the hub for R7500) :thumbup:

.. the Ups will suck in comparison though ... but thats the price you pay i suppose -

Because of the extra weight? or pumpy suspension? or both? Sorted out for a lock-out on the front, doesn't seem that common for those long rear shocks.

A shock with a platform on it (like an RP23) should do the trick though. Those Prophets climb well, besides its a trail bike so it is designed to go up...

More Trails I saw on another post you mentioned riding a 2.3 WTB Prowler SS, I just received one "in the mail" and am yet to put it on my Heckler but was wondering how you enjoyed the tire? Looks pretty burly and probably heavier than anyting I've used and I was thinking of getting some Exiwolves instead as my bike still manages to go up OK and the SS may be overkill for my riding style.

More Trails I saw on another post you mentioned riding a 2.3 WTB Prowler SS, I just received one "in the mail" and am yet to put it on my Heckler but was wondering how you enjoyed the tire? Looks pretty burly and probably heavier than anyting I've used and I was thinking of getting some Exiwolves instead as my bike still manages to go up OK and the SS may be overkill for my riding style.

forget the tyres, tell us how you like the heckler? :clap:

Hahaha, good chirp there Wes. Yes tell us about the Heckler....

Ok the tire rolls well. It does not act like its 800g weight at all. I have used it front and back and it works well under both conditions. I used them for a duration of 3 or so years on the front of my Shova and it loves pretty much any conditions except loose over hardpack. Its tends to get a little skittish on the front then. One can't chuck it into a corner like a High Roller with hefty side lugs, but you can progressively lean into the corner and then you will feel it start to slide out - not just break away and you are on the deck...

As for the rear, it slides a little on the center bead under hard braking, but anything off that bead under braking or acceleration it grips well.

You can do tubeless conversions with it - sidewalls weep a little in the beginning but otherwise it hold pressure ok. One has to keep and eye on it though. Sidewalls seem strong enough not to tear so far, this riding trails from Tokia to Jonkers to Oak Valley.

Anything slightly moist to muddy (not slop though)or dry to rock it reacts very well on. To the point where I have ordered another 2 from overseas and still have one hiding in the basement.

I originally bought it for volume, but has out performed most other tires I have partner them with.

A mate of mine has been riding Exiwolfs for some time now and swears by them. They seem to react better on the loose over hard pack, but get bogged down in the mud and become slide-ish....if that be a word

Edited by MoreTrails

Brian Lopes won one of the French DH stages at the World Cup on his 6" Ibis HD....

As was said, it blurs the nice clear-cut travel lines between the disciples - but they remain a great guideline.

Many of the international reviews complain the GT Force is a bit of a confused bike, 6" travel, but with a HA that is too steep to make it more than an aggressive XC bike.

• 1 month later...

my "all mountain bike" might go from being myth to reality. I am considering buying a new bike, budget will be in the "just over 10" mark.

I've found 2 bikes: a specialized enduro (09) but I'm haggling on price with the guy as his asking price is outside my budget - maybe i can stretch, but depends on where he's willing to settle. Also found a Commencal Meta 5.5 going for a good price, but with a rock shox tora on the front, which I am not keen on. By the time I've changed the fork (and the hub to through axle) it'll have cost me a lot more...

what to do, what to do

Edited by the_wes

Meta 5.5 and don't look back. Changing the fork is something that can happen in time. But I suppose it all depends what the spec of the Spaz is...