Contador - CAS ruling. (All things Contador/doping - merged)

sychosid

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riis continues to support Contador despite ban

He referred to the written CAS decision, saying that the appearance of clenbuterol in Contador's system most likely was the result of a contaminated supplement and "was unlikely to have anything to do with conscious cheating".

based on that statement in the CAS ruling, what did he get banned for?

Merckx deplores "excessive" punishment in Contador ban

By: Cycling News Published: February 7, 17:42, Updated: February 7, 17:44 Edition: First Edition Cycling News, Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Do you like this? Tweet

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2012/01/14/1/_j8e8884_2__220.jpg

Eddie Merckx is in Adelaide as a guest of the Santos Tour Down Under

view thumbnail gallery

Legendary Belgian surprised and upset at CAS verdict

On Monday, the news of Alberto Contador's two-year ban spread quickly across the globe and triggered a variety of reactions. At the Tour of Qatar in the Middle East, race organiser and all-time champion Eddy Merckx was baffled at the CAS decision, blaming not Contador but sporting authorities for the bad news.

"It's very sad for him and for cycling in general. It's as if somebody wanted to kill cycling," Merckx told Eurosport. "I'm very surprised and disgusted. It's bad for everyone, for the reputation of cycling, for the sponsors."

He continued by insinuating that cycling's efforts to combat doping were excessive and that other sports did not apply the rules in the same way. "I think it's going too far - when a test result is like this one, 0.0000... it's only in cycling that this sort of thing happens.

"I'm the first to say that we need controls, but I think that we are going too far in cycling."

Edited by TNT1

Edit: I see Fignon won at 23. Then the next year at 24. I think he was done mentally by then. It wasn't the tri-bar vs the pony-tail that done him in '89, I reckon his metal was gone.

.....and he preferred the super long San Remo type stages.

By: Cycling News Published: February 7, 17:42, Updated: February 7, 17:44 Edition: First Edition Cycling News, Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yeah, to be honest apart from here I have not seen one article supporting the ban, most of the people,

from past riders, to managers, to the guys in the peleton, have said it was unfair, and have voiced support for 'Berto.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Yip!

In time for the Tour Of Spain whose 2012 route is made for mountaingoats again this year...

Berto is gonna come out firing two pistols in that Grand Tour on home soil.

WHICH TEAM is the big question.

Yes, and I wonder of those who truly believe this years Tour is NOT going to be a race of "runners up" will put their money on anyone but Berto winning the Vuelta.

Do you like this? Tweet

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2012/01/14/1/_j8e8884_2__220.jpg

Eddie Merckx is in Adelaide as a guest of the Santos Tour Down Under

view thumbnail gallery

Legendary Belgian surprised and upset at CAS verdict

On Monday, the news of Alberto Contador's two-year ban spread quickly across the globe and triggered a variety of reactions. At the Tour of Qatar in the Middle East, race organiser and all-time champion Eddy Merckx was baffled at the CAS decision, blaming not Contador but sporting authorities for the bad news.

"It's very sad for him and for cycling in general. It's as if somebody wanted to kill cycling," Merckx told Eurosport. "I'm very surprised and disgusted. It's bad for everyone, for the reputation of cycling, for the sponsors."

He continued by insinuating that cycling's efforts to combat doping were excessive and that other sports did not apply the rules in the same way. "I think it's going too far - when a test result is like this one, 0.0000... it's only in cycling that this sort of thing happens.

"I'm the first to say that we need controls, but I think that we are going too far in cycling."

Laughable ,the King of dopers comes out in support ,why am I not surprised.

Riis continues to support Contador despite ban

He referred to the written CAS decision, saying that the appearance of clenbuterol in Contador's system most likely was the result of a contaminated supplement and "was unlikely to have anything to do with conscious cheating".

based on that statement in the CAS ruling, what did he get banned for?

That is exactly what I would like to know.I am confused....which is not unusual....To me it seems a total cock up of note

That is exactly what I would like to know.I am confused....which is not unusual....To me it seems a total cock up of note

Well, he gets banned on a technicality. It is the athlete's responsibility to know what he puts into his body.

Well, he gets banned on a technicality. It is the athlete's responsibility to know what he puts into his body.

Yeah I know that.There just seems to be something really skewed about the whole thing.Esp when it's acknowledged that he did not benefit in any way.

Yeah I know that.There just seems to be something really skewed about the whole thing.Esp when it's acknowledged that he did not benefit in any way.

Yeah, it's like they're deliberately opening the door for him to appeal...

Exactly, whoever wrote that crap about a supplement knows that isn't what happened.

The process, not the outcome, is the main irritant and let-down for the sport.

Swift and decisive organization with a speedy verdict is what cycling needs so the sport can move forward.

Of course, consistent and fair rulings are very important.

The cloud that hangs over the sport is caused by the inefficient way of dealing with doping allegations.

The process, not the outcome, is the main irritant and let-down for the sport.

Swift and decisive organization with a speedy verdict is what cycling needs so the sport can move forward.

Of course, consistent and fair rulings are very important.

The cloud that hangs over the sport is caused by the inefficient way of dealing with doping allegations.

I think the reason why they dragged their heels so long was to ensure Berto won't be out of competition for too long. They allowed him to race and essentially his only going to be out of racing for a few months. Thats far better than having the best guy in the sport on the sidelines for 2 hole years. At the same time they're making a point that doping won't be tolerated.

But can he appeal on that ground? I seem to recall reading that he can now only appeal on procedure.