Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just wanna say thanks to Mike Bike and L.T.G for an awsum ride at Van Gaalens :thumbup: , trails were actually quite fun after the rain, and it was nice to see other parts of the trail I've never been on.

Richard.... did you manage to find Daggapad? if so, how as it?

Hey L.T.G, I finally got out there.

Tricky day with all the mud, but the big issue was the concrete strips... Oh my sack! eek.gif

I walked like all of it, heck, it was tough just to walk it.

Going down the other side wasnt too bad, easier than Greek church I think; but I still need to improve lots.

Hey L.T.G, I finally got out there.

Tricky day with all the mud, but the big issue was the concrete strips... Oh my sack! eek.gif

I walked like all of it, heck, it was tough just to walk it.

Going down the other side wasnt too bad, easier than Greek church I think; but I still need to improve lots.

Richard, that's awesome! Glad you eventually got round to it...

Yeah the Concrete Road is a killer! My aim is to make to the top , loose rocky sections and all, on my SS... so hopefully by 2032 I'll have accomplished that ( I'll have bionic legs by then)

But it's all worth it getting to do DaggaPad and Tant Miems afterwards...

You're riding the TrailSeeker there on Sat aren't you?

Do people actually ride up that thing? mellow.png

Yup, but 15km into todays ride I was ready to bail on the race, but the rest made up for it; so unless it rains heaps before then I will be there.

Do people actually ride up that thing? mellow.png

biggrin.png.... Yip, I've seen guys fly up there, you'll get to see for yourself on Saturday.

The first time I ever rode it I thought it was the most insane thing ever, I thought if I leaned too far back I'll roll back down!wacko.png

But the more often you do it, the more doable it is... doable, NEVER easy!

on my SS I manage the concrete section, but lose it on the loose rocks afterwards, however on my geared bike, it helps over those loose rocks and I usually make over, but then I need a deck chair, girls fanning me with palm leaves and a good rest at the top to get my HR down from a million and somethingeek.gif

Yup, but 15km into todays ride I was ready to bail on the race, but the rest made up for it; so unless it rains heaps before then I will be there.

don't bail dude, stick it outthumbup1.gif ... it looks like we're definitely in for rain though, but don't let that deter you.

I'll be making a plan to post some pics soon of the new, super awesome, loop at the top of Pomphuis..

who rode the Trailseeker?

and how was it for you?

TrailSeeker 70km (66km) ridden in 3h47min. Battling with blisters on my palms from the unrelenting rocks on the descents. Thoroughly enjoyed the route AND drum roll please, the bridge is back in tip top shape!

Loved the tracks!

Now my question, how much of what was ridden on Saturday is open to me on my usual weekend visits? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the names of these routes, but after the concrete strips and we summitted, it was a quick down then left and back up the hill. Is that open normally?

TrailSeeker 70km (66km) ridden in 3h47min. Battling with blisters on my palms from the unrelenting rocks on the descents. Thoroughly enjoyed the route AND drum roll please, the bridge is back in tip top shape!

Loved the tracks!

Now my question, how much of what was ridden on Saturday is open to me on my usual weekend visits? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the names of these routes, but after the concrete strips and we summitted, it was a quick down then left and back up the hill. Is that open normally?

Remember waterpoint 2 where we turned left...from there to the bottom of the satellite descent is off limits. Everything else is open. We also didn't do some of the other sections...tant miems....rail road....oom piets.

PS we also didn't do the full river singletrack on the 70...this starts where waterpoint 4 was...where the 40km hooked onto it, and we went around on the district road to the greek church. We hooked onto the river about halfway, oh and regarding your question above...yes its is open that is known as the daggapad, although we didn't do it 100%. There is another piece of trail at the bottom of that first little descent by the concrete slabs, we were directed left and the 40km right...also very nice

Edited by rouxtjie

Remember waterpoint 2 where we turned left...from there to the bottom of the satellite descent is off limits. Everything else is open. We also didn't do some of the other sections...tant miems....rail road....oom piets.

It all passed in such a blur. I'll latch onto more knowledgeable people if and when I want to explore that back section. Is it marked at all? The normal route that is.

Have a look at this one Ross

http://app.strava.com/rides/19013873

at the 18km mark is where we turned Left and headed towards the satellite section on Saturday.

This ride included the Big U as well as Oom Piets (van Gaalens 5)

at the 10.6km Mark, you can also turn right(after the concrete)

----

http://app.strava.com/rides/22038083

This one shows the river section from about 36km's.

At about the 17km mark on this one, we didn't cross the river and went around instead, which goes through a farm to the tar road, then you turn back onto the district road (23km mark). in the race, we came up that district road and turned right.

VG Nissan on Saturday: http://app.strava.com/rides/25547546

amusing that none of our VG rides included that section after the church we did...

must be a valid reason for that cursing.gif

It all passed in such a blur. I'll latch onto more knowledgeable people if and when I want to explore that back section. Is it marked at all? The normal route that is.

Cool, yea it is marked....a good loop at vg is this one, gives you the best VG has to offer imo

http://app.strava.com/rides/19564072

PS were you on that silver EMD? think we chatted before the race...strava thinks I should follow you as well, love the interwebs

Edited by rouxtjie