• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see more.

Which routes was this

G

Mostly the river section etc. Want to still go record daggapad etc.

that bridge is ridable as it is! it ads some potentially funny moments with its instability and upside down crate

if you have a problem with it don't ride it...

a bit of water never hurt anybody!

VG is amazing and the guys do an awesome job maintaining and expanding it!

#HTFU

Thankfully I can swim and I believe bikes do sort of float... And I wasn't anywhere close to falling in.

I think I've just been spoilt with KZN single track and karkloof maintenance for all the years I lived there.

I still thoroughly enjoy riding at VG!

Thankfully I can swim and I believe bikes do sort of float... And I wasn't anywhere close to falling in.

I think I've just been spoilt with KZN single track and karkloof maintenance for all the years I lived there.

So then it's fair comment to say then that more than the R40 worth is to be found in the riding at vG.

Even Karlkloof etc have some issues now and then, yet everything considered, relatively minor. If the water bridge is a serious issue, just bring it up politely with the good folk at vG.

When the bridge has been really bad that section is closed off.

Really, we pay a nominal fee for the privilege to ride out there. Just like other trails in farming areas (such as Holla).

In fact to a large extent, the trails are subsidised to an extent by the agricultural and peripheral businesses, not the other way round.

yep i hear you, also miss the tracks in cape town :-(

but we have to make due with what we have in joberg and VG is one of the better rides, the guys that moan about it shouldn't go there...

its a simple decision...

Hey guys

Myself and some friends are going out to Van Gaalens on saterday for the first time, what is the best route to do? We looking for about 40kms or so. My one mate is training for Hill2Hill and i just want some nice long and flowing singletrack. What are the best and suggested routes.

P.S. Me personally i will only ride up the hill if the track coming down is worthwhile, dont make me ride up and come down the same way... :whistling:

Hey guys

Myself and some friends are going out to Van Gaalens on saterday for the first time, what is the best route to do? We looking for about 40kms or so. My one mate is training for Hill2Hill and i just want some nice long and flowing singletrack. What are the best and suggested routes.

P.S. Me personally i will only ride up the hill if the track coming down is worthwhile, dont make me ride up and come down the same way... :whistling:

Do a combo of the River heading out to Oom Piet, then take the district road to the Greek Church and back the farmhouse .... It'd be sacrelige for you to miss out on the River on you first time there!

If you need any help with directions let me know , I'll do my best to help .

So looking at the map is this the route to follow? The river section coming back near the farmhouse im guessing has tracks running in both directions, dont want to have any head ons the first time there?

Where exactly along the route are Dagga Pad, Poffadderand all other singletracks, thats all im looking forward to... some nice singletrack after the rain :clap:

post-13500-0-59947200-1347005400.jpg

So looking at the map is this the route to follow? The river section coming back near the farmhouse im guessing has tracks running in both directions, dont want to have any head ons the first time there? Where exactly along the route are Dagga Pad, Poffadderand all other singletracks, thats all im looking forward to... some nice singletrack after the rain :clap: post-13500-0-59947200-1347005400.jpg

Yip yip! that's it, spot on!

Re Daggapad, Pafadder etc.. on the map you have here where you see the Concrete Road pointer touching the route, that little section after it turns right to go through the donga, you just turn left at the point and it takes you to both DPad and Pofadder.

Gonna hit the trails tomorrow, can't wait to see what effect the rain has had.

Yeehaa!

Sun's out and rain's hopefully stopped so by tomorrow trails should still be nice and fast,....and dust free!

perhaps a bit of mud along the river, not much sun gets through the trees.

Gonna hit the trails tomorrow, can't wait to see what effect the rain has had.

Yeehaa!

Sun's out and rain's hopefully stopped so by tomorrow trails should still be nice and fast,....and dust free!

perhaps a bit of mud along the river, not much sun gets through the trees.

Hey everyone

Just had a chat to Erik to find out trail conditions for a rough idea as to what to expect for tomorrow.

Some sections might be muddy, more so along the river, but trails are drying up fast and it doesn't look like any rain can expected tomorrow ..(but you never know!)

so essentially , less dust and fast trails ....I'm so excited!! I just want it to be tomorrow morning NOW!!!

Erik's built a 7km Cross Country trail that starts very close to the Farmhouse, just after crossing under the bridge when heading out in the railway/concrete road/Daggapad etc direction.

there's an cross country event taking place tomorrow, R100 to enter.

apologies, no pics to show ... I never got to ride it this morning. But will post as soon as I have a chance to.