Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

For anyone feeling really brave and tough, ask Eric to take you on the Vulture Trail. You will need a trail bike and skills to use it, good walking shoes, and a full day. Takes you to the top of the ridge above the Greek Church with views all the way to Sin City, a proper "all mountain" session that makes Pofadder pale by comparison.

The views are worth the hard work, ripped skin and humbled ego's, but don't ride this alone unless you know where you are going. Really!

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooit Bru!!!

71.5 degree head angle on that frame and then they integrate the seatpost so that there is no chance to get it out of the way.

Try a shorter stem but go with widish bars at the same time (if they not currently wider than 700mm). That will help you get your weight back.

Many people don't go far back enough when the trail points down. Your body should be in a position where you are standing balanced on the pedals and making slight adjustments all the time as the terrain changes. In other words if you hung a plumbline from your navel (roughly your body's centre of gravity) it should pass through your bb all the time. If it is very steep then you can go so far back that your chin is just above your saddle.

to add insult to injury, i was actually climbing the rocky section( thank my lucky stars no one had cameras) it was not pretty

For anyone feeling really brave and tough, ask Eric to take you on the Vulture Trail. You will need a trail bike and skills to use it, good walking shoes, and a full day. Takes you to the top of the ridge above the Greek Church with views all the way to Sin City, a proper "all mountain" session that makes Pofadder pale by comparison.

The views are worth the hard work, ripped skin and humbled ego's, but don't ride this alone unless you know where you are going. Really!

It is so overgrown on the descent though. I wasn't there but a couple of friends rode it recently - hands and forearms torn to shreds.

Edited by slick

to add insult to injury, i was actually climbing the rocky section( thank my lucky stars no one had cameras) it was not pretty

Oops :lol:

It is so overgrown on the descent though. I wasn't there but a couple of friends rode it recently - hands and forearms torn to shreds.

Yep, did it on Sat and it was pretty rough up there at the moment. Some woes thorn trees to add to the rough terrain. The final descent to the Greek church was rideable two months ago, now it is wild and unridable thanks to all the rain.

But proper trail riding nonetheless. Makes you feel invincible should you not lose too much blood and become light-headed. ;-)

Yep, did it on Sat and it was pretty rough up there at the moment. Some woes thorn trees to add to the rough terrain. The final descent to the Greek church was rideable two months ago, now it is wild and unridable thanks to all the rain.

But proper trail riding nonetheless. Makes you feel invincible should you not lose too much blood and become light-headed. ;-)

You riding with the Dogs?

We rode today another new section( well for us) when you go up to the church then there is that bridge over the fence on your left hand side, then you climb for a couple of meters then at the top normally you go to the right,,,,now there is a second option at the top you can continue to the right as normal. Or you can divert to the left( new section)

Its steep and rocky and would need some pushing for the unskilled, but when you get to the top you get to in my opinion the most awesome piece of VG it's like a enchanted forest!!! It's def. worth the small climb, must must do the ride, then you loop back to where you went left, so you can do that other top section above the church if you want or you can go back down. Brilliant brilliant.

dipslick,

no over the handle bars today?

G

We rode today another new section( well for us) when you go up to the church then there is that bridge over the fence on your left hand side, then you climb for a couple of meters then at the top normally you go to the right,,,,now there is a second option at the top you can continue to the right as normal. Or you can divert to the left( new section)

Its steep and rocky and would need some pushing for the unskilled, but when you get to the top you get to in my opinion the most awesome piece of VG it's like a enchanted forest!!! It's def. worth the small climb, must must do the ride, then you loop back to where you went left, so you can do that other top section above the church if you want or you can go back down. Brilliant brilliant.

No had a power ride you must go check it out, I would put a map and pics but my I pad is not playing with, but seriously it's nice, must take your camera/phone with

dipslick,

no over the handle bars today?

G

I officially now own VG I am waiting for Eric to return so I can take it up with him, came down in spectacular fashion today, totally destroying my rim and my thumb, I hit something with my rear wheel causing a slow flat, I was trying to catch my mate in front hit a dip to fast and the tyre gave way, one by new mavic ..........gone

Eric is no longer the owner I own more land there than he does!!!

Edited by dipslick

seems my question yesterday was a bit premature...

hope you ok though. sorry to hear about the wheels.

G

I officially now own VG I am waiting for Eric to return so I can take it up with him, came down in spectacular fashion today, totally destroying my rim and my thumb, I hit something with my rear wheel causing a slow flat, I was trying to catch my mate in front hit a dip to fast and the tyre gave way, one by new mavic ..........gone

Eric is no longer the owner I own more land there than he does!!!