Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the other shots i got in this

Nice meeting you this am....and yes the river is in pristine shape, man it's some sweet riding.

Nice meeting you this am....and yes the river is in pristine shape, man it's some sweet riding.

Ditto Rouxtjie!

see you at the 24Hour?

Ditto Rouxtjie!

see you at the 24Hour?

I am doing the other one....but sure you guys will have a gas there.

I am doing the other one....but sure you guys will have a gas there.

Thanks.... Hope the weather holds out for both of them.

Edited by L.T.G

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys....

Erik's added another couple routes.

as part of Oom Piet, where you'd normally turn right after passing through/over/under/around the gate closed for cattle, you head straight up past the arrowed board labeled "Nguni"... it's a bit rough at the moment, but Erik will be spraying weed killer and smoothing it out in the next week or two.

It loops around to join back onto the the regular Oom Piet loop just before the last kick of the climb.

it's not super tough, but not easy either (specially today when we hit over 30 degrees before 10am).

then there's a stretch of about 2km that's really good fun at the start of Oom Piet,just as you cross over the district road after finishing the River Trail, it heads anti-clockwise as opposed to clock-wise that the older part does (which is still there too)

pics to follow

As mentioned, there's a new loop at the start of Oom Piet...

here're some pics

post-6012-0-84178900-1357384993_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-31574500-1357385013_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-39588400-1357385032_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-46325200-1357385049_thumb.jpg

Edited by L.T.G

As mentioned, there's a new loop at the start of Oom Piet...

here're some pics

post-6012-0-84178900-1357384993_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-31574500-1357385013_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-39588400-1357385032_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-46325200-1357385049_thumb.jpg

I rode it today for the first time, very lekke loop, I think after a few attempts that rocky section will be good fun, the guy I rode with today rode it all the way, he has done it a few times, but with the right line and skill def. possible

I rode it today for the first time, very lekke loop, I think after a few attempts that rocky section will be good fun, the guy I rode with today rode it all the way, he has done it a few times, but with the right line and skill def. possible

it's definitely easier doing it this way as opposed to in the direction towards to River trail, the turn as you start crossing over the rocks that way is quite tight ( i find out the hard way every time i trywacko.png ....)

Eventually you Will think " remember when I could not do this section " I love it when that happens I have a few places at VG where I think that

Eventually you Will think " remember when I could not do this section " I love it when that happens I have a few places at VG where I think that

you're 100% right.. many at VG for me too.

Although there is one I will NEVER be able to ride.... I have this major mental block...

Along the original River trail, there's this one section where the trail goes around a tree and all it's roots, but with a 2-3 drop to the river below on your right if you're heading away from the farm house... i just can NOT do! I've ridden worse , or at least i think so... but that piece eek.gif

I remember the first time I went "up" the concrete road I thought, there is no way anyone can ride this it's impossible (ok I weighed 128kg) but I was sure it was impossible. Now it's warm up!! And all those rocky testing sections that Eric puts in also thought in the begining " ja right this guy is obviously joking" it's weird how quick your skills improve and your fitness , unfortunately we lose the fitness just as fast if not faster when we stop riding for a few rides.

I remember the first time I went "up" the concrete road I thought, there is no way anyone can ride this it's impossible (ok I weighed 128kg) but I was sure it was impossible. Now it's warm up!! And all those rocky testing sections that Eric puts in also thought in the begining " ja right this guy is obviously joking" it's weird how quick your skills improve and your fitness , unfortunately we lose the fitness just as fast if not faster when we stop riding for a few rides.

too true!

you're 100% right.. many at VG for me too.

Although there is one I will NEVER be able to ride.... I have this major mental block...

Along the original River trail, there's this one section where the trail goes around a tree and all it's roots, but with a 2-3 drop to the river below on your right if you're heading away from the farm house... i just can NOT do! I've ridden worse , or at least i think so... but that piece eek.gif

I also used to think that till my riding partner went up there in mud in front of me, when we got to the top(me pushing) we sat there for like ten min him showing me the different lines, the next time around (dry) pipped it and now its like , how did I battle???

That section is just get the right gear put power down , right speed and line and go go go

I also used to think that till my riding partner went up there in mud in front of me, when we got to the top(me pushing) we sat there for like ten min him showing me the different lines, the next time around (dry) pipped it and now its like , how did I battle???

That section is just get the right gear put power down , right speed and line and go go go

Oh re read your post , I know that section I can do it on my 26er but not my 29 er