Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

just read the 3 pages, now I better understand the issue (had 3 year break from riding till last week).

1. Like the idea of a 'known' date; say last Sat of every month (L.S.O.M.)

2. like the idea of a banner hung for 1 week prior, advertising trail repair day (Trail-Rep)

3. like the idea of a 'fixed committment' time period, say 2 hours to get max people involved; if some think of a half- or whole-day committment, then fewer will attend (A 'Hole' 2-Hours)

4. twelve repair mornings (one per month)focussing on a problem area each time would make a big difference. (12 x Focus points)]

5. could be sold as 'come and repair your hole, then ride over it!!!'

repair-and ride

Finally, this thread should become a 'sticky' for a while on Rant& Rave, Wanted, For Sale, etc, so E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E sees it!

Oh, and let me know when!

Edited by Yellow Zebra

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(I see volunteering stopped abruptly. That's odd coz I see more than 5 people on the mountain on weekends. It could just be that there are 5 Tokai hubbers??)

Sorry dude - been awol for a while and didn't see this thread again. I'm still in, but might not make the first one if it's any time in the next 3 to 4 weeks, what with a wedding coming up and all.

When is this shindig goin down?!

I wouldnt mond helping, but i am only available on sundays. Also I ride a hardtail and I love singletrack, is this the same as the DH stuff? however I almost never lock up my brakes, and in the sections that have really steep drops I just take it slow man

Hey, I heard there'll be some more info regarding Tokai trails this week. Will post when info is available!

Check in and keep this thread alive.. :excl: :excl:

Just came back from Tokai and its getting rutted to pieces up there with loads of soft sand all over. On the Our roots trail there are some serious holes where guys have locked up their brakes. Will be interesting to see the trails after the Epic.

Are volunteers still needed to work on the trails?

:unsure:

Yes brakes are a problem in the hands of the reckless but it's not entirely the cause of ruts there. The area you are talking about I know well, in the week that trail was finished, bikes were being hiked up the slope. Two wheelbarrow loads of clay was used per meter and compacted to within an inch of it's life, but amazingly, feet hare able to puncture the surface leaving footholds for the next guy to use.. not sure how bad it is now, but for a long time the ruts were exactly a step apart.

Volunteers will always be needed. The more workers in, the more trails out. In?

Yes brakes are a problem in the hands of the reckless but it's not entirely the cause of ruts there. The area you are talking about I know well, in the week that trail was finished, bikes were being hiked up the slope. Two wheelbarrow loads of clay was used per meter and compacted to within an inch of it's life, but amazingly, feet hare able to puncture the surface leaving footholds for the next guy to use.. not sure how bad it is now, but for a long time the ruts were exactly a step apart.

Volunteers will always be needed. The more workers in, the more trails out. In?

What about a "plank" type effort on that corner downhill bit, or some grass blocks might work as well?. As long as I get some warning I should be able to help out fixing where I ride :)

All the other sand on the trails Mamba , boom slang and vasbyt all have or getting very sandy. Will the rains wash it away or just make a mud pit with ruts?

Will the rains wash it away or just make a mud pit with ruts?

I was wondering the same thing on Sunday when one of those tree stumps stepped neatly into my line as I came out of a sandy, holey corner. My bloody knee is also wondering.

I was wondering the same thing on Sunday when one of those tree stumps stepped neatly into my line as I came out of a sandy, holey corner. My bloody knee is also wondering.

Please tell me it was at the bottom of Vasbyt, I wiped there as well :D

There are other means and we are in the process of getting a site running with plans/extensions attached. Stay tuned.

;)

is there actually a site for tokai mtb?

hypothetically, i am out from the states for the week and want to find out info online, where would i 'officially' go?

Please tell me it was at the bottom of Vasbyt, I wiped there as well :D

No, it was actually on one of those switchbacks after the berm-and-then-rooted section on the DH, just before you bend left past that rocky little outcrop. As you can see, I have no idea what most of the trails are called, I never look at the signs :) Just know Boulders...

STAY TUNED!

Things are happening faster than ever expected. Meetings have been held, Epic route markers are up, Tokai is going to get some TLC.

Volunteer dates will be confirmed soon!

What everybody will be able to help with is patience and understanding. This Epic event is going to be a directive changer. Unbelievably, the event was brought to the park by the most unexpected of people. Really took all in the meeting quite by surprise!

Please respect route closures. It will be for one week out of the 52, hopefully it will not be a big inconvenience considering the changes at hand..

That is all I am saying.

STAY TUNED!

:clap:

if u want to push commuting by bicycles,bring events that highlight cycling and let the feelgood vibe rub off on everyone so they can go slay their own personal epic between home and work each day.. madprops ;)

The epic is going to be cool> Gonna try go and catch some of the action.

Also keen to lend a digging hand sometime...