The advantages of a thuaxle over QR??

Palaeodom

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for starters, no "Rapid Skewer Ejection" under hard braking.

Its not fun, trust me on that one. ;)

Lighter shock - the crown no longer has to be as strong and heavy as the through axle provides rigidity at the wheel's mounting point.

One advantage is not strength according to one-poster-somewhere-on-the-internet :D there is no instance of a quick release ever snapping in two from the force of riding (not to say quick releases can't come loose etc).

Definitely more secure under load / braking and improves stiffness / tracking of teh front end. Weight penalty is negligible if any at all. Downside is hub interchangeability but this is improving all the time as more manufacturers move to 9mm/15mm convertors. It's really helped that Rock Shox now offer the 15mm standard so it's no longer just a Fox / Shimano thing.

Definitely more secure under load / braking and improves stiffness / tracking of teh front end. Weight penalty is negligible if any at all. Downside is hub interchangeability but this is improving all the time as more manufacturers move to 9mm/15mm convertors. It's really helped that Rock Shox now offer the 15mm standard so it's no longer just a Fox / Shimano thing.

I've been riding a 24mm through axle for ages now and never had the need for another front wheel, but if I had, I would have been in a spot of trouble.

Guest Big H

I've been riding a 24mm through axle for ages now and never had the need for another front wheel, but if I had, I would have been in a spot of trouble.

Maverick???? .... still dreaming to buy a DUC 32 for the tandem

Edited by Big H

The stiffness, safety and preciseness is all moot in my view.

The real advantage is that the wheel-on, wheel-off procedure is now simple and fuss-free. With QR and lawyers lips it is a pain to fit a front wheel. With through-axle we almost have the quickness of true quick release (pre-lawyers lips) back again.

Yee haw!

Maverick???? .... still dreaming to buy a DUC 32 for the tandem

I now have two SC32s - one on the Maverick, and one on my Niner. Have a look on Ebay for deals...

One advantage is not strength according to one-poster-somewhere-on-the-internet :D there is no instance of a quick release ever snapping in two from the force of riding (not to say quick releases can't come loose etc).

Not true , I snapped one at the Mabalingwe race 4 years ago .

The stiffness, safety and preciseness is all moot in my view.

The real advantage is that the wheel-on, wheel-off procedure is now simple and fuss-free. With QR and lawyers lips it is a pain to fit a front wheel. With through-axle we almost have the quickness of true quick release (pre-lawyers lips) back again.

Yee haw!

Johan have you ever tested this . Axe is much stiffer and as for the safety , it just makes sense that it is a lot safer . See my previous post .

Well for starters, no "Rapid Skewer Ejection" under hard braking.

Its not fun, trust me on that one. ;)

Never, ever have I had that problem.

This whole through axle thing is quite interesting to me, I am watching and reading with interest, the stiffness arguments are the most entertaining thus far.

Cannot say that I have noticed any noticeable handling difference between QR skewers or my current 15 mm thru axle system. But then I'm not that well tuned in to my bike....

The thru axle is easier to install / remove.