Helmet follow on .......

Capricorn

I guess you've hit the nails on their heads there MH. That said, how many MTBers you know that died in the past year compared to roadies?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, how many MTBers you know that died in the past year compared to roadies?

Well, I think about it this way: On an MTB, when you crash seriously, you come into contact with a rock, or a tree, or dirt, at say 40-50km/h (if you're cruising), and crashes in 95% of cases happen with a gradual loss of control (you slide/wash, get bumped off line, hit an unexpected stump and end up sliding off the trail and then crash, etc). Roadies don't have that luxury, being hit by a metal object weighing a ton travelling at 80km/h is absolutely sudden and uncontrolled, sadly.

MTB deaths are very rare, like the tragic freak accident this thread led on from.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

A helmet is not going to help you in every situation. Having said that it doesn't actually hurt wearing it, so it definitely will improve your chances of survival in many scenarios. Thats why I wear one. I couldn't really care if others dont wear their's, thats their issue, not mine.

Unlike the car seatbelt / air bag debate where there are instances where these safety devices may hurt or kill you, there is absolutely nothing to lose wearing a helmet(other than helmet hair).

The excuse for not wearing a seatbelt that people make that they will be safer in certain accidents without a seatbelt is exactly that, an EXCUSE. Your chances of a seatbelt saving you are many many many times greater than the chance of it causing you to die in an accident. If my brother in law had been wearing a seatbelt I am 100% sure he would be alive now

The excuse for not wearing a seatbelt that people make that they will be safer in certain accidents without a seatbelt is exactly that, an EXCUSE. Your chances of a seatbelt saving you are many many many times greater than the chance of it causing you to die in an accident. If my brother in law had been wearing a seatbelt I am 100% sure he would be alive now

This pisses me off. I have a friend who refuses to wear a seatbelt because "that one time" a seatbelt killed someone. I get furious with him.

The last time I kissed mother earth on my mtb the helmet save the side of my face and ear from a nasty roastie. It not only helps to absorb the impact on your brain, it might save your face.

Ok so all of this has really freaked me out,not having the best looking "pip" in the world but still valuing it I keep it wrapped in polystyrene while riding but the base of my skull is still not protected!!

Have found a "THE f-14"helmet on CRC but nothing like it in SA.It seems to be a much better helmet compared to the local ones as it also protects the base of the skull.

Any advise will be appreciated?

Hello,

I always enjoy this topic.

I stand to be corrected but it it is law to wear a helmet when riding a bike in SA.

As the saying goes " what do you call a rider without a helmet.............................someone who donates their organs!!!!!"

I have stopped riders in races for not wearing helments and the comments that you get back can be quite alarming " its ok i will not fall off?"

In MTB it is not if you will fall off but when.

I went through 3 helmets in one year and on one crash it did save my life and i was only going less than 10km.

A R200 or R2500 helmet is better than nothing

Rgds

One other thing to add:

As I've always understood it, if you spill and end up smacking your helmet in the process, and if there's even the slightest damage to it, you toss it and get a new one immediately. In other words, helmets are designed for one impact only, no matter how small it is. Confirm?

Edit: I'm talking about lightweight XC/roadie helmets here, not DH (which I don't have any experience in).

Edited by tombeej

tombeej: the Smash_Then_Replace rule applies to all helmets. What constitutes a good enough smash is highly debatable, with some product brochures warning against dropping the helmet <_< frankly, that's a bit much and sounds more like a money spinner. Crack lids are off course complete write offs.

One other thing to add:

As I've always understood it, if you spill and end up smacking your helmet in the process, and if there's even the slightest damage to it, you toss it and get a new one immediately. In other words, helmets are designed for one impact only, no matter how small it is. Confirm?

Edit: I'm talking about lightweight XC/roadie helmets here, not DH (which I don't have any experience in).

That is true on all helmets, motorcycle ones included.

I use to also believe in the 3yr life span of a helmet (bike & mbike), but after some interesting points made not only here on the Hub but also from my boet in law who is an engineer and is interested in helmet energy absorption properties (he is an mbiker), I realised that a helmet lasts until you have your accident.

Just remember that the damage to the helmet is usually on the inside and you will most likely not see it. So just because it still looked good from the crash it, toss it, because with the next crash you will understand why.

Just remember that the damage to the helmet is usually on the inside and you will most likely not see it. So just because it still looked good from the crash it, toss it, because with the next crash you will understand why.

Agreed. Heard more than once from riding buddies - after a little endo or a slow motion sideways stack into a tree because of not clipping out in time - "ag man, I don't see any damage, just a few scratches, still hundreds!". Nope. Toss it.

Guest Big H

Heard of a girl recently who had her ear almost torn off in a crash. She just woke up in hospital and does not remeber what happened. Sounds like a ill fitting chin strap.

The most important issue is your helmet MUST fit..... be worn the correct way around and you MUST have the chin strap properly adjusted.

Edited by Big H

that's an excellent point to raise Big H. Even I neglected to ensure my chin strap is pulled tightly under the jaw. <_< most peeps chin straps are just wagging in the wind.

the other big sin, is pushing the tip of lid up and backward. I always feel the big urge to go encourage ppl to pull the front of their lids back down. The front is there to protect your face, so should u face plant, it's more likely the leading edge of the lid will contact the ground first, and not your nose/forehead.

But no, ppl riding with the leading edge pointing up. Read the manual folks.

My wife,son and myself have all had hard falls on our heads with XC/Roadie helmets which resulted in the helmet breaking.Mine was particularly bad.

I was concussed for a month at least but the helmets did their job.

All were covered by crash replacement which we did immediately.

Generally bad fitting helmets are the cheaper ones and that is why we buy top of the range.

I have a Giro Ionos and a Sweep XC which are outstanding.

They are snug,comfortable and dont ride back on ones head.

If a helmet fits properly it is not uncomfortable to have the strap snug.You dont have to choke yourself.

I really like the look of the new Giro XAR all mountain which has better protection to the back and sides

Unfortunately although they are available overseas I cannot find it in SA.

Guest Big H

My wife,son and myself have all had hard falls on our heads with XC/Roadie helmets which resulted in the helmet breaking.Mine was particularly bad.

I was concussed for a month at least but the helmets did their job.

All were covered by crash replacement which we did immediately.

Generally bad fitting helmets are the cheaper ones and that is why we buy top of the range.

I have a Giro Ionos and a Sweep XC which are outstanding.

They are snug,comfortable and dont ride back on ones head.

If a helmet fits properly it is not uncomfortable to have the strap snug.You dont have to choke yourself.

I really like the look of the new Giro XAR all mountain which has better protection to the back and sides

Unfortunately although they are available overseas I cannot find it in SA.

Hoe vorder die heup Jacob??????

Hoe vorder die heup Jacob??????

:thumbup:

5 weeks now and back at work and driving

Started this week on a spinning bike at home.

Waiting for Paris Nice this afternoon for a session going to do a hour if possible.(low resistance :rolleyes: )

It really seams to be helping with the rehab

Was pretty frustrating watching the Argus this morning on TV.

Thanks for asking