My stolen bike coming past in the Argus!!!???

Silverback Ru

And besides this dude sueing if he has grounds lets not forget the Massive copyright signs all over that photie, excpect a call from action photo shortly.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go. You clearly don't.

I see how you got to your name... Don't be childish and post meaningless statements with absolutely no purpose other than to cause k&k. If you have something insightful and/or meaningful to add, please edit your post to explain why what I said was wrong.

Do you have the serial number though? Similarities are hardly conclusive proof. Serial number or go cry somewhere else.

+1!!

agreed, probably not a good idea to post a photo .... yet anyway.

You cant really buy stolen goods legitimately, can you? Even if it was sold to Cash Converters and he bought it there, it still remains stolen goods.

Agreed, you cant "legitimately" buy stolen goods. But if (for instance) Cash converters bought the bike and re-sold it to the gent in question, what would he know. I mean, If I go into a shop and buy something, I might be (unsuspectingly) buying stolen goods... What have I done wrong, besides spending my money in said shop? I would say that in this instance, it would be a legitimate sale, as money has changed hands and there is a record of the sale.

Yes, it still remains stolen property, but in the above instance, would it be his fault.

I still dont think posting pics of the guy on this platform, is the way to go about it....

Edited by I-FELT-the-FORCE

And besides this dude sueing if he has grounds lets not forget the Massive copyright signs all over that photie, excpect a call from action photo shortly.

That exactly why I haven't posted my pic of myself from last year on the same bike on here. Would have loved to start a voting poll after fellow hubbers saw the 2 pics next to each other!

That exactly why I haven't posted my pic of myself from last year on the same bike on here. Would have loved to start a voting poll after fellow hubbers saw the 2 pics next to each other!

DO YOU HAVE THE SERIAL NUMBER?????

What grounds? No-one has accused him of anything? And if it's illegal to post the pic of him, then all those semi-clothed females that pop up on these forums quite regularly should be making millions off suing everyone around the world! (Disclaimer: I don't know the actual law, but logic IMO says unless you are actually being defamatory about the guy then it's all above board, albeit a little unethical)...

As someone has mentioned, it is illegal to buy stolen goods so it would be up to him to justify that he wasn't aware of it or had no reason to believe it was stolen (assuming it can be proven that it is actually the OP's bike which might be difficult without serial numbers).

just off the top of my head there are two charges he could lay:

1. Defamation of Character via libel means - granted it is difficult to prove in court but the legal fee's alone will suck!

2. Intellectual Property Law - there is a loop hole in this law and really good lawyer could build a solid case around it because a photo has been posted and the gentleman's face is clearly visible, someone could recognise him and harass him in public which will give him more weight behind his case.

as I said this is just off the top of my head, given a week there is a lot more loop holes one could find. all I am saying is consider the consequences, yes a stolen bike SUCKS, I will be glad to help find the guy but not when threats are made against his person (which could be used as a charge for Premeditated Assault in a court of law, if acted upon, verbal or physical)

you have to love the law :)

Edited by General Lee

Looks like a chick to me... :unsure:

Best recourse is the serial number though.

Right you are! But maybe this is even better?

Doesn't the bartape look a bit thick? Answer yes, why?

Because the yellow (Serfas to be specific!) bartape was wrapped over some old black bartape for extra cumfort to ride without gloves.

The other question we are missing here is exactly how slow are you if that vertically challenged individual came zooming past you, at speeds fast enough to avoid you catching him to have a conversation about the bike?

Edited by covie

Agreed, you cant "legitimately" buy stolen goods. But if (for instance) Cash converters bought the bike and re-sold it to the gent in question, what would he know. I mean, If I go into a shop and buy something, I might be (unsuspectingly) buying stolen goods... What have I done wrong, besides spending my money in said shop? I would say that in this instance, it would be a legitimate sale, as money has changed hands and there is a record of the sale.

Yes, it still remains stolen property, but in the above instance, would it be his fault.

I still dont think posting pics of the guy on this platform, is the way to go about it....

Yup but that transaction will only remain a record until this guy pitches up and says "HEY, THAT IS MINE!"

So the transaction will be null and void between buyer and CashC.

Dont know if the buyer will end up out of pocket or CashConverters? One of them will take a knock, rightly so!

I see how you got to your name... Don't be childish and post meaningless statements with absolutely no purpose other than to cause k&k. If you have something insightful and/or meaningful to add, please edit your post to explain why what I said was wrong.

Rather, what part of your post was meaningful. A whole wad of legal opinion, followed by a little disclaimer saying you don't actually know. Guess what, posting the person's picture is actually defamation of character, followed by a copyright infringement.

Kapish?

To the OP...do you have the SERIAL NUMBER?

Yup but that transaction will only remain a record until this guy pitches up and says "HEY, THAT IS MINE!"

Dont know if the buyer will end up out of pocket or CashConverters? One of them will take a knock, rightly so!

Cash Converters will be liable, as they are meant to check proof of purchase through receipts, and collect ID documentation of the seller. If they fail to do this the sale is not legal.

This is in theory. In reality, they buy anything they can, from whoever, and I personally have had a TV stolen by Cash Converters from the time they collected it from my house, to when I got to the shop to collect my money. The owner had just 'forgotten' me. They sold the TV. It wasn't worth pursuing though. They are fueling crime in SA.

Granted but the wronged party will have to provide adequate proof in a court of law that the bicycle was in fact his, without a serial number the "Hey, that is mine" won't stand to cause the transaction to be null and void. It SUCKS but as the cliche goes, 'it's not what you know, but what you can prove in a court of law" Which is where this would have to end up if Silverback RU wants any compensation.

was ure bike insured?

report it to them and see if they are willing to get their money back - thats hoping you were insured and got paid out...