Formula 1...

'Dale

Thing is they are adjusting ride height in the process which is illegal.

Yes the aero adjusts ride height, but that is allowed for within certain limits.

It is good to see boundaries being pushed but I bet this will be ruled out before Melbourne.......

https://youtu.be/U_uKHNJLSQs 

These explain it quite nicely.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like daddy bought his kid a Merc and painted it pink.

74d487e4-a211-492d-8f22-e5f7c3db2c02_800

Couple of years ago the idea was thrown around that to save costs teams should make their tech available to all other teams, at a cost but available. Probably a good idea. Also been rumoured that the Haas team were essentially Ferraris at one stage iirc. The do get away with far less personnel etc. so plausible. 

Looking forward to a good season, lots of close dicing and controversy. Like it or not Max has brought an element to F1 that was sorely lacking. And the lad knows racing.

Edited by IceCreamMan

That's because it does not "adjust" it, it alters ride-height by the way it works. And it's the same for all. Not manual adjustment. My view...

Still must look at this steering wheel thing over the weekend, did not have time when I saw it this morning - thanks Eskom... 

Haven't watched the posted video above yet, but my view is that you are willfully adjusting the ride height through your actions, and it is not unintentional at all. They know by doing this we affect that. 

With Aero, it is a consequence (initially unintended when aero first started and downforce was low and unintended, only slipperiness through the air) which has been addressed by the rules.

Haven't watched the posted video above yet, but my view is that you are willfully adjusting the ride height through your actions, and it is not unintentional at all. They know by doing this we affect that. 

With Aero, it is a consequence (initially unintended when aero first started and downforce was low and unintended, only slipperiness through the air) which has been addressed by the rules.

Also adjusts the toe of the front wheels to aid in heat generation / moderation of the front tyres. That's teh primary function of the push / pull feature, from what I've seen. 

SK - sorry, I was not clear... I was talking about aero in my post, not this steering thing. Since I haven't watched it, I don't have opinion on it yet.

And yes, we're saying the same. Aero causes a ride height alteration due to it working, not a manually manipulated ride height change.

Okay, I've watched it now. Soooo, in my (personal) opinion... it's genius! 

Firstly, to clarify - it does not alter ride height. It alters toe-in.

The objecting comments initially was to altering suspension whilst driving. Still valid. That IS suspension being altered.

My first thought when I read through the process was - why the heck did they not jsimply make it a button on the wheel?! Then there was a comment about the alteration of the suspension being "fully mechanical". So that would mean that there's rules prohibiting this being done "by button". Genial interpretation of the bylaws in that case. 

What was brilliant for me was Seb's very politically worded response. And I won't go into depth about that, because every would have read it most likely. Veeeery clever on his behalf as well. 

Will be watching with interest. Because in all honesty, if Merc stole the march on this... the (front) tyre war is already won. Like it or not.

Okay, I've watched it now. Soooo, in my (personal) opinion... it's genius! 

Firstly, to clarify - it does not alter ride height. It alters toe-in.

The objecting comments initially was to altering suspension whilst driving. Still valid. That IS suspension being altered.

My first thought when I read through the process was - why the heck did they not jsimply make it a button on the wheel?! Then there was a comment about the alteration of the suspension being "fully mechanical". So that would mean that there's rules prohibiting this being done "by button". Genial interpretation of the bylaws in that case. 

What was brilliant for me was Seb's very politically worded response. And I won't go into depth about that, because every would have read it most likely. Veeeery clever on his behalf as well. 

Will be watching with interest. Because in all honesty, if Merc stole the march on this... the (front) tyre war is already won. Like it or not.

I didn't. What did he say?

It is super super smart actually. I'm sure there would be a regulation that says you're not allowed any adjustments via electronics or hydraulics. And in the end it's actually a very simple system. I love things like this.

Interpretation of the rules is so important. It's similar to Ducati's scoop in MotoGP last year. The rule said you're not allowed to affix aerodynamic devices to the swingarm. So they said it's a cooling device for the rear tyre, which coincidentally also might possibly have aero effects. Smart.

My favourite kind of hole is a loophole.

One day F1 cars will have a joystick, diving in and out of corners, it'll be quite cool I reckon. 

I didn't. What did he say?

In summary - and this is my interpretation of what was written of what he said... so what he actually said and meant may be vastly different.

Very little about what is being accomplished by the device. Very quickly went into whether everybody will have the capability to perform these multiple actions every lap. Fastest way vs the best way... in the light of a very off-the-cuff example. 

Being - we had f-duct back in the day, where it was the fastest way but we used to drive around with one hand on the steering wheel for half the lap.

Now if that's not clever wording for a ban the thing campaign... Because he knows the advantage it will give.

Looks like daddy bought his kid a Merc and painted it pink.

74d487e4-a211-492d-8f22-e5f7c3db2c02_800

Last night on Sky sports after the days testing had completed there was an in depth discussion around the similarities and the fact Stroll senior had copied last years Mercedes. General concensus is that it is a good idea as a strategy for a team hoping to improve their results. The idea being that they will never get into the top 3 over the 2020 season anyway why not aim for best of the rest with a competitive car, build knowledge and gain points and increase earnings with a view of a longer term break into the top 3. 

Also, much was made of the fact that a car is more than its skin so there would still be a lot of work going on even if the car looks similar. 

Perez is currently fastest on day 3 of testing. 

Edit: now the boys showing their hand a lil more, with 40 odd minutes left of testing prior to Oz its Ferrari, merc, Renault , racing point, McLaren, Williams, yes Williams, toro rosso (new name eclipses me) alfa, red bull but albon spun off an 33 no time. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

JUst watched the first episode of the new series. I recon Guenther needs his own series

Is Drive to Survive back tonight or tomorrow?

Sorry didn't see your post initially