Winter has hit CPT

covie

With winter officially here was just wondering what peoples tyre choice will be for the muddy mayhem. I quite like the look of the Maxxiss Ardents and they look like they will shed mud sufficiently too.

yep, i'm pretty stoked for those ardents as well, albeit in DH flava. But arent they meant for dry conditions? I know the minions can be pretty darn sketch over wet roots and rocks, and the minions are by most accounts better than the ardents.

then again, i'm a schwalbe boy. dunno why i'm pandering to the Maxxis PR machine :P

hey capri, yeah im a conti boy myself, did'nt have good experiances with the monorails or the crossmarks, so not sure why im looking at Maxxis again. Never tried them schwalbe's

I rode with a Maxxis Advantage on the front last year, it was pretty good as an overall, bearing in mind that real mud models are terrible rollers. It comes in 2.1 and 2.5, so a good option.

Now though, I'm running 2.1 UST Nevegals regardless (even though they're very slow and wear quickly), so I'm sorted either way.

hey covester: where u been? loving this rather nippy morning? talk about a chop-over in weather conditions. :blink:

Not sure about the Schwable XC casings, but I'm a believer when it comes to their DH casings. INsane amounts of grip, predictable when about to give, excellent sidewall protection (which I see Maxxis is somewhat cloning with their EXO sidewall offerings on their new DH tire, that lovechild of a High roller and Minion).

Yeah this weather has me geared to go, decided to p1ss off people a little less and ride a bit more :D hence my quietness of late, also sending my some of my lemmings to the UK soon for "work" but they will just act as CRC mules if i have my way.

MH the Schwalbe Dirty Dans roll as fast as high rollers, and it's a proper spiked tire. I kid u not. Just using a finger test, it's pretty obvious the maxxis equivalent, the wetscreams, it's knobs fold pretty easily. However, not sure what the XC equivalent would be of a Dirty Dan. Rocket Ron maybe?

Yeah this weather has me geared to go, decided to p1ss off people a little less and ride a bit more :D hence my quietness of late, also sending my some of my lemmings to the UK soon for "work" but they will just act as CRC mules if i have my way.

hahhaha that was quite funny Mr Covie. Any chance there's some spare caryying capacity on your mules? ;)

Loved the Ardents on my bike the last two winters and summers.

Ended up cutting the rear tyre on some glass so I had to run anther tyre there instead.

I had the non-ust version on the bike for two seasons and the tyre did very well with regards to wear (Lots of mileage done) and handled all conditions rather well.

I did prefer the Ardent on the front though vs at the back .... it felt a little skittish somehow to me on the back.

My opinion on this would be a Ardent 2.25 on the front with either a 2.25 or 2.1" Advantage (Another good tyre from the Maxxis range) on the back and if you are running tubeless then I think it prudent you go for the UST or rather in this case the LUST versions.

If you see these in the Cape please let me know!

H

hahhaha that was quite funny Mr Covie. Any chance there's some spare caryying capacity on your mules? ;)

lol PM me and we see what we can do :thumbup:

Winter? The only difference I noticed this morning was that instead of a howling South Easter, we had a howling North Easter. Instead of leaning to the left, I had to lean to the right...

Generally, MTBing in the Cape in winter is quite pleasant, most trails aren't that baby poo consistency you get in other places, so I would tend to favour a fast rolling tyre over a super knobbly one.

I rode with a Maxxis Advantage on the front last year, it was pretty good as an overall, bearing in mind that real mud models are terrible rollers. It comes in 2.1 and 2.5, so a good option.

Now though, I'm running 2.1 UST Nevegals regardless (even though they're very slow and wear quickly), so I'm sorted either way.

Dont want to burst your bubble(scuse the pun :) )

But I went into the garage last nite to check on the hardtail and the front Nevegal has grown a groot bubble.Poked it and it spat at me.Totally vrot from the Stans.

Thays the 3rd Nevagal thats gone like that.Love the tyre but hell.