Road Traffic Management Corporation

TheSaint

Has anyone received correspondence from the Road Traffic Management Corporation? :huh:

I just received a letter:

ALLEGED INCONSIDERATE, RECKLESS AND/OR NEGLIGENT DRIVING BEHAVIOUR :angry:

In the correspondence the following is noted:

1. My vehicle registration number

2. Vehicle Type, Make, Model and Colour

3. ID Number, Surname & Name

4. Date, Time & Location of Incident

This alleged offense was reported by a 'Voluntary Public Traffic Observer' and reported to the National Traffic Call Centre.

In brief the content deals with me exceeding the legal speed limit and weaving between lanes without using indicators. It further explains that the matter has been entered in there records and forwarded to the relevant traffic authority etc.

:cursing: :cursing: :devil:

I have lodged an objection to this via the e-mail provided and listed all the necessary legislation and gave my side of the story of which I will not bore you hubbers. In brief, I did not exceed the speed limit nor was I weaving between the cars. What I am guilty of is changing lanes without indicating. :thumbdown:

(have only ever received 3 traffic fines, for parking violations, in 25yrs :thumbup: )

Was wondering if any other hubbers have received such a letter and what are your views/thoughts.

Where can I sign up as a voluntary traffic observer?

I think it's a good idea as it may encourage people to modify their driving behaviour. I don't think any reported offense would be legally enforceable, though.

Edited by Edman

this is pathetic, so members of the public must now do the work of people us tax payers pay to do!!! whats up with that. Why cant government take a 30% cut in the millions of rands salaries per yearm decrease spending budgets and then maybe they can complete the housing projects they promised and higher more civil servants

By the poor response I take it I may be pissing in the wind with this post. :(

Questions of interest:

1. Am I the only one thus far to receive such a letter?

2. Can the call centre handle the volume if everyone became a volunteer?

3. What do they think they stand to achieve?

4. Will every taxi violating the traffic law receive such correspondence?

5. What about street racing/ dicing?

6. If you notice an unroadworthy car, is this too to be reported.

7. Report me for not putting on my seatbelt!

8. I was spotted chatting on my mobile phone!

9. Applied some lipstick while driving!

I suppose there would be more responses once everyone start receiving such letters.

I'll be patient and wait a while. :whistling:

Never heard of it, but it sounds very open to abuse.

Whats to stop me becoming a "Traffic observer" and sending complaints about all the people in my neighbourhood I dont like (okay that will keep me busy for months) but you get the picture.

I would toss it in file 13.

yup, i signed up as a volunteer some years back.

no, i dont report on lipstick, nor seatbelts....

but as a motorbike rider - a law abiding rider, not indicating by a car is what kills/injures some motorcyclists, etc.

my understanding is that no one 'report' carries any weight, but multiple reports do build a picture.....

taxi's are not only fair game, but prob. top of the list!

i've filed one report; idiot tossing a burning stompie during fire season....

cheers

Not using indicators - u will have one hell of a job in Brazil, here no one uses indicators

Edited by vanniri

RTMC went bankrupt in 2009; corruption, fraud and nepotism were rife. It's never been officially resurrected so suggest you treat this as a completely irrelevant hoax and ignore it.

http://www.rtmc.co.za/

Just googled them. Seems like they have been around since 1995 already.

The website makes provision for anyone to become a VPTO (Voluntary Public traffic Observer) The VPTO should be glad that they are protected by anonimity.

I suppose it gives the average Joe some status. A speedcop in plain clothing. A dog without a bite. :clap:

Why now all of a sudden are they sending out letters.

IMO i think its a brilliant idea, almost every single day on my way to & from work I have about 2 or 3 close calls - often because of people changing lanes without either looking or indicating and / or because of inconsiderate, negligent and reckless driving - I drive a defender so its not as if its invisible! Also every week we have posts on the hub about another cyclist being killed on the road. Clearly the traffic authorities are only interested in rasing revenue and not making the roads a safer place so any intitiative to try and make the roads safer should be welcomed and supported.

How can they tell you were speeding anyway?

If miss daisy was driving 19km/h in the right hand lane and you came past, weaving into the left hand lane to avoid a collision without using your indicator, at the legal speed limit of 120km/h, miss daisy might mistakenly think you were speeding!

Luckily, she was busy typing a sms and had her phone handy to take a photo of your registration plates and report your hooligan ass :lol:

How can they tell you were speeding anyway?

If miss daisy was driving 19km/h in the right hand lane and you came past, weaving into the left hand lane to avoid a collision without using your indicator, at the legal speed limit of 120km/h, miss daisy might mistakenly think you were speeding!

Luckily, she was busy typing a sms and had her phone handy to take a photo of your registration plates and report your hooligan ass :lol:

Yeah, as I said, open to heavy abuse.

I think its nothing more than another sign of commanding a nanny state mentality, giving untrained, everyday people without any kind of backround or personality check the authority to report on their fellow citizen is bizarre to say the least.

Next we will have some organisation semi authorising people to go peeking over your wall at night to see if you are skinny dipping and corrupting the neighbourhood morals.

Give it the due attention it deserves by throwing it away and send them an e-mail telling them that stupid letter destroyed two trees and you would prefer an electronic notification in future so its greener and easier to delete.

Where can I sign up as a voluntary traffic observer?

Yeah, me too.

At the OP: As the cat said to the kitten when it complained about the temperature of the milk: tough titty".... Name and shame. I hope the rtmc have a website and that they post these things there as well.