Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Have fun, wish I could ride it again but my wife dragged me to Dwarskersbos so now I ride muddy dirt roads...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have opened two new sections of trail.

The first section (blue) gives riders starting form Hazendal and Zevenwacht the opportunity to ride to Protea Alley and Fish Eagle via long green without having to follow the red route. To get to this new section follow long green and then take the normal route that leads towards the Ystervark single track (the ST with the switchbacks going down into Wolfkloof). You will find the split to your right just before you get to the U-turn onto the jeeptrack.

The second new section is an easier option on the red route that eliminates the Welgelegen climb taking you directly to the yellow route and Fish Eagle single track, where you will also rejoin the "normal" red route.

See the maps below for details.

post-19597-0-57889800-1470633747_thumb.jpg

post-19597-0-74561200-1470633760_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TRAIL NOTICE: Please take note that Vine restuarant (previously Radish) is no longer a starting point for Bottelary Hills Conservancy MTB trails. In other words day permits can no longer be purchased there. Parking at that venue is no longer allowed either. Please use either Hazendal or Devonvale Golf Estate as alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

TRAIL NOTICE: We've opened a new section of singletrack on the red/long green route. It's part of more additions in the making. Being new it may be loose and spongy in places so take it easy down there. With the spring flowers blooming and fresh mornings this has to be the best time of year to be out on the trails. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We have opened a new "MEDIUM" green trail on the green route that will give riders the option of riding most of the Ribbok downhill single track without riding over the top via “Skaapsteker”.  This option also gives riders from Hazendal/Zevenwacht an easier link to the blue route (Protea Alley single track) as well as the yellow route (Fish Eagle single track)  To link with the blue route, just go straight through the switchback that is almost at the bottom of Ribbok. It also gives riders from Stellenbosch side an alternative return option via single track.

Route markers will only be up early next week, but the route is open for riding.

post-19597-0-02283900-1474370842_thumb.jpg

Hellwarp...  after the "stukkie ST" on the Red route, there is no sign to turn off where you join up to the Red/Orange route.  There is a tree with lotsa other signage on, but no route marker.  I missed the turnoff the first time I attempted the red route.  Checked Strava to see where I should turn the next time.  Managed to find my way then.

It could be a bit frustrating for a first timer trying to do the red route.

For those who don't know it's 200m after you exit the "stukkie ST"

Edited by billygoat0523

Hi Billygoat

We have no singletrack named "stukkie". Last time I heard the word stukkie was a highskool classmate referring to his new girlfriend, way back in the 80's.

If you could point out the spot on a googlemap it would help identify what you referring to.

Hellwarp...  after the "stukkie ST" on the Red route, there is no sign to turn off where you join up to the Red/Orange route.  There is a tree with lotsa other signage on, but no route marker.  I missed the turnoff the first time I attempted the red route.  Checked Strava to see where I should turn the next time.  Managed to find my way then.

It could be a bit frustrating for a first timer trying to do the red route.

For those who don't know it's 200m after you exit the "stukkie ST"

apologies, didn't mean to offend.  i just took the name from Strava

www.strava.com/segments/12006123?filter=overall

after the blue bit there is an arrow to turn left, but 200m down, the right turn is not marked.

post-96642-0-79169500-1474618314_thumb.jpg

Aaah ok. The route marker is meant to be on the left of the road opposite the right hander, will have it checked out. Thanks.

after the blue bit there is an arrow to turn left, but 200m down, the right turn is not marked.

............... There is a tree with lotsa other signage on, but no route marker.

Checked out the route markers this morning - all are in place.  You just need  to look to your left before you get to the right turn - it is there - same spot as it has been for the last five years.

I however have no idea where you saw a tree with "lotsa other signage".

thanks dirtman.  i will make sure to check properly tomorrow. perhaps i was looking on the wrong side of the road.  

edit: the tree is further down the road, if you miss the turnoff. like i did :-|

Edited by billygoat0523

saw the marker today.  my apologies  :blush:

i missed it about five times previously, can't say why.  it really was the only one i haven't seen until today. :oops:

Hi, i am new to the forum but not to Bottelary hills. I normaly ride from the Hazendal entrance and do green route most of the time. I have done red a couple times. I just want to find out if there is a part of BH with some jumps in the ST? I see there is a lot of maintanance being done lately. Thanks to all working on the trail. Cheers, Rhudi