Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

I was just planning some riding during December (as one does on a Monday morning). I can't for the life of me, find a map on the web-page. But I know there was one (actually a few) at one stage. Please help.....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

My ISP have equipment, including backup batteries on some of the Bottelary hills. These are being targeted - even in mid morning daylight.

Please keep on the lookout for suspicious characters.

ps - early in December, I bumbed into 4 landowner youngsters in hunting camo (& armed) out on a multi-day sleepout. Very friendly and appearantly not out to find rouge riders.... seems we need more of them :thumbup:

TRAIL NOTICE !!
The Landowner of Fort Simon has informed us of riders deviating from the agreed upon route and taking a shortcut through his farmyard. He has large dogs for security and on two occasions (this week alone) they have had to call the dogs off cyclists in their yard.

The 3 most important trail rules are simple:

1. Do not ride the trails without the required permit
2. Do not stray off the marked routes
3. No night riding

Riders who transgress can consider themselves banned from our trails. Their names will also be passed on to Amarider. We simply cannot tolerate blatant disregard any longer.

Edited by Hellwarp

TRAIL NOTICE !!

The Landowner of Fort Simon has informed us of riders deviating from the agreed upon route and taking a shortcut through his farmyard. He has large dogs for security and on two occasions (this week alone) they have had to call the dogs off cyclists in their yard.

The 3 most important trail rules are simple:

1. Do not ride the trails without the required permit

2. Do not stray off the marked routes

3. No night riding

Riders who transgress can consider themselves banned from our trails. Their names will also be passed on to Amarider. We simply cannot tolerate blatant disregard any longer.

For interest's sake - where did this happen? (I assume somewhere on the red route?)

Tx Rouxenator.

Looking at your map, Fort Simon farmyard seems to be very far removed from any of the current established trails. The trespassers might have taken the old red route that had previously veered left after the first rocky climb alongside the pine trees (on the current extended green), got lost going down the hillside and then just aimed for the farmyard below (i.e. Fort Simon). It seems to me that some cyclists with permits (not even talking about those without permits) regard those permits as a kind of carte blanche to ride wherever they like, with the trails at best serving as a rough guide.

The way I see it is that these trails are a privilege and my permit is an indication that I paid to make use of this privilege. The permit does not give you any rights - merely access to make use of a privilege. 

I really do hope more people will see it like and act accordingly. 

• 1 month later...

TRAIL NOTICE: take note that we have rerouted the red/purple route at the end of the single track over the open field (see image). This was requested by the landowner who had a couple of near collisions with riders going flat-out through the cutting (middelmannetjie) without looking out for tractors or other farm vehicles. The new corner section at the bottom is very loose and needs to be ridden in. The red line is the "old" route and the yellow line the "new" route.

post-19597-0-00933900-1456404243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hellwarp

• 2 weeks later...

Trail notice: tomorrow (sat 5th march) a motor cross event will take place on Welgelegen Farm. More specifically the area at the top of Welgelegen climb.Their track will cross singletrack in 2 or 3 places and share a piece of jeeptrack. All these will be marked with danger tape to indicate caution. The motorcyclists will also be briefed beforehand to lookout for cyclists. The event will take place betwen 09h00 and 14h00. Please be vigilant.

• 1 month later...

One of  our members lost his silver Tag Heuer watch on the route today - somewhere on the red route from Rooikat down towards the top of Kaapzicht killer and then down to Goedehoop.  Please PM me if you find it.

• 4 weeks later...

TRAIL NOTICE GREEN LOOP: The landowner is installing an underground irrigation pipe along the top of Mooiplaas (see pink line), use the yellow option in the meantime. Should re-open by weekend.

post-19597-0-65773700-1462375864_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Although Middelvlei was removed as an official starting point for the Bottelary Hills trails some time ago, many of us were still using it.

Unfortunately this is no longer possible.

The boundary fence which has been under construction for the last few weeks is now up, which prevents access to the Devonvalley Road from Middelvlei.