Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

I understand why people get concerned about safety while out riding and it's something we all have in the back of our mind, not just on the trails but at home, at work etc. While its important to notify others of events regarding safety I think its equally important to get the true story heard. We all live with enough stress and we do not need to amplify that by altering what transpired with a different version. Being out on the trails should be the one place we can relax and get away from it all.

Our trail system is an invaluable source of funds for the Bottelary Hills Conservancy. The funds are used to maintain and build new trails, fund alien clearing projects, administration costs etc etc. If those funds dry up we simply would not to be capable of maintaining the current trail system and everybody loses, the cyclists, the Conservancy and a string of other businesses that benefit from the proximity of the trails.

Crime in our country is of major concern and we need to communicate to keep one another safe, but don't sensationalise or create hype which could have unintended consequences to the sustainability of something we're actually trying to preserve.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand why people get concerned about safety while out riding and it's something we all have in the back of our mind, not just on the trails but at home, at work etc. While its important to notify others of events regarding safety I think its equally important to get the true story heard. We all live with enough stress and we do not need to amplify that by altering what transpired with a different version. Being out on the trails should be the one place we can relax and get away from it all.

Our trail system is an invaluable source of funds for the Bottelary Hills Conservancy. The funds are used to maintain and build new trails, fund alien clearing projects, administration costs etc etc. If those funds dry up we simply would not to be capable of maintaining the current trail system and everybody loses, the cyclists, the Conservancy and a string of other businesses that benefit from the proximity of the trails.

Crime in our country is of major concern and we need to communicate to keep one another safe, but don't sensationalise or create hype which could have unintended consequences to the sustainability of something we're actually trying to preserve.

Agree 100%.  Was definitely not my intention to add to any scaremongering.  The situation sounds like it was likely a case of misreading the situation (but as you stated, totally appropriate reaction).

I've been riding Bottelary since March last year. Always carry at least pepper spray on you. I have had to use it twice to fend off dogs that tried to attack me (en route to Bottelary). On the trails itself I have never encountered any problems or threats. Keep up the good work guys

My biggest concern is getting into Devon Valley from Welgevonden and back. I make use of the long hill opposite the R304 traffic lights (part of Die Burger 43/60/75k) and on the other side I ride though Deon Joubert's farm (he knows me). This is the only place where I feel unsafe.

Edited by Rouxenator

Been riding there for 3 years and mostly on my own.

I never felt vulnerable. Maybe because one always pass farmworkers somewhere on the route that always greet friendly, Give one the feeling that they will hunt down any perps!

Leaving Stellenbosch past Kayamandi via Bottelary is another story though...

Radish Restaurant has been sold and will, until further notice, not sell day permits. This should be a temporary arrangement so in the meantime buy your day permits from hotel reception at Devon Vale Golf club - 1 km further down Bottelary road direction Stellenbosch. They are open 24/7.
Also take note that until the end of August, Hazendal day permit sales will only be from 9 am at the main restaurant, the coffee shop is temporary closed for construction work.

Has any though been given to including the hill at La Provance into the Bottelary hills trails? I had a look at it on Google Earth and seems there are some tracks, not sure if it has ever been used?

Maybe it could be integrated into the Zevenwagcht entry/exit route? 

post-38519-0-51546200-1438246574_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-80828300-1438246578_thumb.jpg

Has any though been given to including the hill at La Provance into the Bottelary hills trails? I had a look at it on Google Earth and seems there are some tracks, not sure if it has ever been used?

Maybe it could be integrated into the Zevenwagcht entry/exit route? 

Would be great if that section could be included.

• 1 month later...
Update re Radish day permits: Day permits can be bought from Ons Genot Guesthouse which is on the same premises as Radish Restaurant. Radish will be closed for renovations for the next couple of months.

Please note that parking is not allowed in front of Ons Genot Guesthouse - use the parking on the left hand side as you enter through the gates. There is signage directing you to permit sales and parking respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Sterk wind het 'n boom omgewaai net soos mens uit die dennebos met rooi single track (dink dis ribbok) uitkom. 

Sterk wind het 'n boom omgewaai net soos mens uit die dennebos met rooi single track (dink dis ribbok) uitkom. 

Die een? Steeds daar.

post-38519-0-76934900-1443093466_thumb.jpg

A friend and I went cycling with day permits at Bottelary the other day.

We set out to go and do the kaapzight killer which is a hectic climb as i understand - I know that from my strava we did part of it but then we got lost somewhere. We were told the kaapzight killer climbs up to the mast. We got to what seemed like the end of the green route (bankie on the hill) think it was 3km in and asked another mountain biker for directions to the kaapzight killer that goes upto the mast. He told us, no you need to follow the red route. So there we went, following the red route trying to figure out which mast and how to get to it.

Started from Hazendal on green route then swapped over to red route, saw a sign "welgelegen" then we went on to zewenwacht (i think) then from there we went onto the blue route. Saw a purple route which we skipped keeping on the blue route over the hills then back unto portion of green and red. We basically got very lost hence why we jumped routes so often.

The sign-age on the routes are not great. There where areas where we were not sure which path to follow as the arrows where ambiguous. On the red route the arrows are very far from each other so you cycle and then start to wonder if you missed the arrow along the way. We had to stop and reference google maps every now and again to figure out where we are and where we wanted to get to. Some friendly mountain bikers helped us out along the way on the red route explaining to us we had to take the blue route to get back on track.

From a maintenance point of view the routes looked well looked after. We did find some red and white tape that demarcated off some parts of the trails and there were signs of some running "tekkie" event when coming back from blue route that added to the confusion.

Was only my 2nd time on the bottelary-hills trails. Enjoyed it, got a lekker workout.

What added a bit to the frustration of getting lost was that my friend was exhausted 17km in and used up all his water and was starting to panic. So there we where lost with 500ml of my water left between us. During the blue route I had to wait for him many times as he ended pushing the bike most of the time and resting. Then we got a snake scare what made me think if something happened how do we get out of here quickly. We ended up doing a unplanned 29km that took us from 9 till 13:30.

What I learned from this; I need to research the trails better beforehand and if possible go with some that actually knows the area and take extra water just in case.

What would be awesome is if there was some boards along the way with emergency contact numbers and maybe even a place to top up your water bottle. Would also be great if the arrows could show the direction and the distance that you have to go before getting to next arrow.

It turned into a adventure and I am sure we will return.

Edited by JoeZipp

It is quite possible I guess. no idea. As I said was only my 2nd time there. Last time I went with a group and did not rely pay attention to the directions just following the person in front of me.

As i said the last time i was there the group started at Hazendal on the green route. That is all I can really tell you.

Been riding there for a more than a year and this was the first time I saw riders going the wrong way on a section that is one way. About reaching the masts, depends which ones you are referring to. You cannot reach the big ones on the current routes. I have gone up there once with my dad (he also has a year permit) but he had permissions from the land owner (our farm is close by). 

You can reach the mast at the top of the red route but you will either have to come in from Overgaauw or if you go up Kaapzight Killer you need to go left at the top and then take the Skaapsteker single track to join in on the red route. The mast is at the top of the "Extended Single Track" in the woods.