Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

In the end we gave up trying to get to the mast. On the blue route after going up the corkskrew there was a path to the right. It was extremely steep a moubtainbiker told us that was the way but it was far to steep. I doubt my landy would even get up there.

This was a week ago btw. Not today.

Edited by JoeZipp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, those masts are not on the trails. Do not attempt to reach them as they are out of bounds. 

Purely for interest sake, here is how my dad and I got there after we obtained permission from the land owner.

Edited by Rouxenator

A friend and I went cycling with day permits at Bottelary the other day.

We set out to go and do the kaapzight killer which is a hectic climb as i understand - I know that from my strava we did part of it but then we got lost somewhere. We were told the kaapzight killer climbs up to the mast. We got to what seemed like the end of the green route (banking on the hill) think it was 3km in and asked another mountain biker for directions to the kaapzight killer that goes upto the mast. He told us, no you need to follow the red route. So there we went, following the red route trying to figure out which mast and how to get to it.

Started from Hazendal on green route then swapped over to red route, saw a sign "welgelegen" then we went on to zewenwacht (i think) then from there we went onto the blue route. Saw a purple route which we skipped keeping on the blue route over the hills then back unto portion of green and red. We basically got very lost hence why we jumped routes so often.

The sign-age on the routes are not great. There where areas where we were not sure which path to follow as the arrows where ambiguous. On the red route the arrows are very far from each other so you cycle and then start to wonder if you missed the arrow along the way. We had to stop and reference google maps every now and again to figure out where we are and where we wanted to get to. Some friendly mountain bikers helped us out along the way on the red route explaining to us we had to take the blue route to get back on track.

From a maintenance point of view the routes looked well looked after. We did find some red and white tape that demarcated off some parts of the trails and there were signs of some running "tekkie" event when coming back from blue route that added to the confusion.

Was only my 2nd time on the bottelary-hills trails. Enjoyed it, got a lekker workout.

What added a bit to the frustration of getting lost was that my friend was exhausted 17km in and used up all his water and was starting to panic. So there we where lost with 500ml of my water left between us. During the blue route I had to wait for him many times as he ended pushing the bike most of the time and resting. Then we got a snake scare what made me think if something happened how do we get out of here quickly. We ended up doing a unplanned 29km that took us from 9 till 13:30.

What I learned from this; I need to research the trails better beforehand and if possible go with some that actually knows the area and take extra water just in case.

What would be awesome is if there was some boards along the way with emergency contact numbers and maybe even a place to top up your water bottle. Would also be great if the arrows could show the direction and the distance that you have to go before getting to next arrow.

It turned into a adventure and I am sure we will return.

Thanks for the feedback. Scenarios like yours are not something we hear often, if at all. I think your main issue was trying to find a route to "the mast". There is no route that leads to a mast, "Kaapzicht killer" is simply the name of one of the climbs as is "Welgelegen". Bear in mind it was your first visit and no doubt next time you'll find your way round. You need to decide which route you want to take and trust the signage. Some may be far apart but you follow the way directed until you reach the next route marker. The maps on our website as slightly dated but the "trail descriptions" are up to date as far as grading and distances etc are concerned.

Thanks. Did not know. Last time i was there with group of 8 people and we climbed all the way till we got to one. Thought that was part of kaapzicht killer.

In the end we gave up trying to get to the mast. On the blue route after going up the corkskrew there was a path to the right. It was extremely steep a moubtainbiker told us that was the way but it was far to steep. I doubt my landy would even get up there.

This was a week ago btw. Not today.

Ja ok. well then no wonder you got lost. There's certainly no route marker there directing you to "go right" up a hill a landy can't climb (ok maybe a toyota will climb it). Once again stay on the marked routes and trust the signage.

Edited by Hellwarp

Remember there are at least 2 waterpoints along the route that I know of. If you are doing the long loop 50 km ish you should be good with 2 bottles, we did it today and some of us had only one and one special person only had a 500ml bottle and we never stopped anywhere for water.

So I come prepared with 2 bottles and you will be fine, and if all else fails there is always a quick exit to the botlary road, polkadraai or Zewenwaght.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 10 October is National Pinotage day.

The oldest block of Pinotage are found in the Bottelary Hills.... plan your Saturday's ride carefully :whistling:

http://www.dewaal.co.za/event.aspx?DIARYID=14117&CLIENTID=3512&Title=EVENTS%c2%a0%c2%a0

http://www.dewaal.co.za/Page.aspx?PAGEID=3317&Type=About&CLIENTID=3512&Title=ABOUT%20OUR%20STORY

Edit: who care about water points? :)

Edit 2: 10 October, not the 11th

Edited by Zatopek

Pinotage day is Saturday the 10th. It is also the day of the STBB MTB ride so unless you are taking part in that even (which you should) I would not recommend that you ride any of the trails.

Pinotage day is Saturday the 10th. It is also the day of the STBB MTB ride so unless you are taking part in that even (which you should) I would not recommend that you ride any of the trails.

oops.. There goes my heritage celebration plans up in smoke ^_^

Will consider the event

Edited by Zatopek

It would be really nice to have the section that formed part of the STBB 60km route as an option on the trails.

post-38519-0-79877800-1444650831_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We've re-routed part of the trail on the Green/Red loops at the top of "Kaapzicht Killer". Please stay off the origional route as per the Landowners request. The signage has been adjusted so pay attention to the route markings. A short section of singletrack has been added to link back up with the start of "Long Green". The pink line is the new route while the origional route is scribbled over in white. (see image)

attachicon.gifFort Simon Detour.jpg

Hi

If I look at your screenshot and compare it with http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/40km-Green-Loop-Red-Route-and-Yellow-Loop-combined-from-Hazendal.jpg I have the following questions: (The colors used on them might send the opposite message.)

a) Is the official 'green route' without 'Rooikat'? I.e. is Rooikat considered optional to the green route and red route? - i.e. not required for both the Red and Green routes or maybe only for one of them? 

b) If Rooikat is considered not optional for green or red - do you encourage the 'shortcut' to cut it out of Red & Green? Or should the 'scortcut' be one direction (North-East) for Red only?

I don't try to be pedantic, just to get the 'official message' - I noticed the Bottelary network in OSM were out of date and started (on the green route) to update them (https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-33.9295/18.7460) and adding OSM MTB tags like direction, gradient, difficulty etc.. (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mountain_biking).

Please note work in progress and comments welcome.

Hi

If I look at your screenshot and compare it with http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/40km-Green-Loop-Red-Route-and-Yellow-Loop-combined-from-Hazendal.jpg I have the following questions: (The colors used on them might send the opposite message.)

a) Is the official 'green route' without 'Rooikat'? I.e. is Rooikat considered optional to the green route and red route? - i.e. not required for both the Red and Green routes or maybe only for one of them? 

b) If Rooikat is considered not optional for green or red - do you encourage the 'shortcut' to cut it out of Red & Green? Or should the 'scortcut' be one direction (North-East) for Red only?

I don't try to be pedantic, just to get the 'official message' - I noticed the Bottelary network in OSM were out of date and started (on the green route) to update them (https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-33.9295/18.7460) and adding OSM MTB tags like direction, gradient, difficulty etc.. (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mountain_biking).

Please note work in progress and comments welcome.

a) Rooikat is optional to the green route and red route

b) the "shortcut you refer to is one direction for both green and red (south westerly) there is a separate existing link (North easterly) via a short ST section for riders wishing to include Rooikat in green.

We are currently busy with mapping updates

• 4 weeks later...

Our 2016 Bottelary Hills MTB Annual permits are now available online. Please note that permits will only be available for purchase online and no longer in store. Collect your bikeboard from the "pick-up" point you select when you purchase. The online shop allocates a permit number to each purchase, so you can only purchase one permit per transaction. Once purchased you will receive a proof of purchase via the email you entered during registration, your permit number will be indicated on this. Make a printout and take it along when you collect your bikeboard.

http://bottelaryconservancy.co.za/mtb/permits/

Hi guys. I am planning to finally try out the trails. Where can I access the red route? Does engen at soneike still sell day passes?

You buy it online then collect it from one of the four collection points you selected when purchasing.

Got mine on Saturday from Bottelary Wine Center. First to do so which means I am 301.

Hi guys. I am planning to finally try out the trails. Where can I access the red route? Does engen at soneike still sell day passes?

Day permits can be bought at Engen 24/7 and at Hazendal coffee shop from 8 am.  

You can access the red route from the entrance opposite Hazendal  - just follow the arrows  - first section will be pink arrows to take you to the green route - then follow the green arrows to the top of Kaapzicht Killer (a "nice" little climb)  - on top of Kaapzicht Killer there is a map and arrows that will direct you onto the red route.  From there just follow the red arrows all the way around.  I would recommend that you finish you ride by following the green route back to Hazendal at the end of your ride, otherwise you are going to miss out on beautiful single track sections.