Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

TRAIL NOTICE: It's going to take a few days for us to clear the trails of storm debris. Ground conditions are sketchy at best and with more rain predicted for saturday the weekend will be a no go. So this weekend its time to catch up on home DIY or pay a visit to Mom in law.

Edited by Hellwarp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TRAIL NOTICE: We've cleared the trails but it is very wet and muddy at this stage. The trail takes a beating, along with your drivetrain if you ride in these conditions. Rather wait for some sunny weather to dry things off a bit before heading out for a ride.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a group ride on Saturday to put some tread on the newly built "Blue Loop" singletrack. The route is not officially signposted or open yet for general riding so this is an opportunity to be one of the first to ride it.

We depart at 8.30 am from the Hazendal parking lot. You can wait at the gate if you cycle from home or join at 8.50 am at the top of Kaapzicht Killer. ( where the red route splits from green at the "afdakkie").

Riders from Stellenbosch side can join at around 9.45 am at the entrance to Lizard singletrack, top of Wolwedans climb.

You need to be reasonably fit, there are some steep climbs. If you can ride all the way to the top of the green route via Kaapzicht Killer or the top of Wolwedans without stopping, you will be okay. You obviously need to have an annual or day permit displayed on your bike.

Edited by Hellwarp

TRAIL NOTICE: the extra singletrack on Ribbok which was closed after the fire is now open. We took the opportunity to give this section a makeover with the focus on improving the flow. It needs some tread on it to settle so have a go when you see the "extra singletrack" sign.

On Ribbok itself we've added a right hand bend on the downward leg. This was also done to improve flow, remove two awkward climbing bends and the climb at the end of the jeeptrack. The link to purple still carries on straight beyond this bend.

Ive done one or 2 rides here, starting to at Asara after work. Could ride a bit of red route and the yellow.

I would like to go ride the routes on the other side of the ridge sometime.

Q: Whats the most direct way to ride if I want to cycle out there from Somerset? Im considering riding out there on a weekend, doing a longer loop, then back.

Edited by Christie

Ive done one or 2 rides here, starting to at Asara after work. Could ride a bit of red route and the yellow.

Q: Whats the most direct way to ride if I want to cycle out there from Somerset? Im considering riding out there on a weekend, doing a longer loop, then back.

Start at Asara and go up the gravel route as per your previous rides.  On top of the climb turn into red route.  Stick with the red route - it will take you over the hill where you can ride various single track sections on the red and green routes.  From green link to red again which will bring you all the way back around the hill to Asara (with the option to ride the yellow route as well).   

Damn that is going to be a big ride then! Recon you can do 4 to 5 hrs on the trails alone. But ja lekker base miles.

Im thinking about this as a long ride option. My go to long route is Wanabee trais - paradyskloof - Jonkers.

But for an alternative, I think this kan work: Shortest way through Wanabee trails to Annandale, cross through the farms by the Waldorf school to Baden Powell, past Digterby estate to Overgaauw. Have not done it before, will go scout.

Im thinking about this as a long ride option. My go to long route is Wanabee trais - paradyskloof - Jonkers.

But for an alternative, I think this kan work: Shortest way through Wanabee trails to Annandale, cross through the farms by the Waldorf school to Baden Powell, past Digterby estate to Overgaauw. Have not done it before, will go scout.

I have done this many times, its a very nice long ride 90-120km. I usually add a loop or 2 on the wannabee trails to add distance. I ride over the railway walkway at the garage on the Spier/Annandale road crossing and then on the quiet tar farm road to Overgaauw, and then I usually ride the longest possible route on the trails. I carry lunch with me and stop at the halfway farm with the MTB water under the trees. I need to do this ride again soon you can join me, I avg like 17-19km/h for this ride.

If you're riding from Hazendal side, go up Killer, all the way to the top, ride across the ridge towards Rooikat. Where you'd normally turn a sharp right through the trees towards Rooikat, carry on straight up that really steep rocky jeep track that heads up towards to Cell mast. About halfway up hook a right through the trees and follow the new markers. You climb a little more then head into the burnt forest section. It loops out to the right and back out again to where you almost started.

Refer to my masterpiece for directions :blush:

it seems i never stopped and looked at the sign.  found my way there, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

At the turn off from the green route to Zevenwacht, just before Geelslang, the board, in addition to the Zevenwacht option, shows a loop down to Jordan. Nowhere else are there directions to Jordan. Does the Jordan loop exist, is it still in making, or will it not happen?