29er last night on supercycling

Vetseun

It seems an endless debate! I have been very "suspect" of the whole 29'er thing. Then, in a moment of weakness I succumbed to some great salesmanship and bought myself one. It is still early days, but all I can say it is very different. I find climbing a bit harder, but training and getting use to the drivetrain should sort that. Downhill is is DEFINITELY faster. Single track I'm still not to sure cause I've never been a good technical rider. But as they say, different strokes for different okes!!!!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really from me, if it is proven to be the way to go, I wanna do it then. Any help to be faster works for me.

I have a 29'er mountain uni which I enjoy riding, but just not as much as my 26'er. Whether the 29'er will work is down to riding style and what you like doing. The 29'er doesn't hold up to the downhill riding I like doing as much as my 26, but it does go faster which is partly why I'm not so keen on Downhill with it ... quite simply it sometimes scares the cr*p out of me, especially since it's much twitcher than my 26.... but I'm rambling here :)

I want Burry's bike, that way I can be as fast as he is and win the epic!! How nice will that be. ;)

there you go, already switching the brain off, now just empty your wallet my way. Did I mention that your bike goes faster if everything is colour coded? You can get a blue chain, chain ring, chain ring bolts, wheels, spokes and saddle for just a little extra small change........... :thumbup:

I understand that 29er helps with the technical stuff. I also battle with the technical sh!t. Spend more time on the ground than on the bike.

It seems an endless debate! I have been very "suspect" of the whole 29'er thing. Then, in a moment of weakness I succumbed to some great salesmanship and bought myself one. It is still early days, but all I can say it is very different. I find climbing a bit harder, but training and getting use to the drivetrain should sort that. Downhill is is DEFINITELY faster. Single track I'm still not to sure cause I've never been a good technical rider. But as they say, different strokes for different okes!!!!

I am on the side lines on the 26" vs 29" debate. I have a full sus 26". But Kevin evans said somthing on the last day of the Epic when he was in the commentry box.

He said (I am quoting from memory here) "that the 29" full sus bikes have proven to be the most effcient by a long way but the manufactures were struggling to get the weight of the bikes into a reasonable/racable range" and that is where Spez did well is to get the weight of the rig down to below 10kg's

Now my question is how can you say that it has been proven to be the most effcient. If this were the academic would one would have to produce some really hard core reaserch and evidence to substainitate such a claim.

In cycling not so!

I am still looking for the scientific report that shows beyond doubt that a 29" full sus is more effcient than a 26' full sus.

Do you really live in Oranje Witkop? I checked it out the one day, looks cool to live there.

there you go, already switching the brain off, now just empty your wallet my way. Did I mention that your bike goes faster if everything is colour coded? You can get a blue chain, chain ring, chain ring bolts, wheels, spokes and saddle for just a little extra small change........... :thumbup:

Why not discuss it, its the talk at all MTB races and events. AM was merely giving his opinion as someone who has ridden both 26 and 29, Kevin Evans commenting on the Epic show also mentioned he prefers 29'er as have others. Judging by the Epic where last year about 2% of the bikes were 29 this year it was 30-40%, thats quite considerable growth.

Edited by scotty

Why not discuss it, its the talk at all MTB races and events. AM was merely giving his opinion as someone who has ridden both 26 and 29, Kevin Evans commenting on the Epic show also mentioned he prefers 29'er as have others. Judging by the Epic where last year about 2% of the bikes were 29 this year it was 30-40%, thats quite considerable growth.

but I have already two 26' bikes and will face divorce if I start eyeing out any more bicycles, so 29' is not accessible. But if you have the money, or are a pro, then obviously you will want to experiment with the bigger wheels.

Shortboard vs longboard, if I can use a surfing analogy...gives the rider a different ride/feel and allows people that haven't learnt all their skills on a 26er to be 'better'.

Edited by iRide

Shortboard vs longboard, if I can use a surfing analogy...gives the rider a different ride/feel and allows people that haven't learnt all their skills on a 26er to be 'better'.

so the rigid 26' single speed is now no longer officially dead? :D

but I have already two 26' bikes and will face divorce if I start eyeing out any more bicycles, so 29' is not accessible. But if you have the money, or are a pro, then obviously you will want to experiment with the bigger wheels.

I only have one and its a 26HT :D

old school is cool! :thumbup:

stick with 26inch wheels!

i just dont like it when they talk nosense (bicycling Jan) that spares for 26inch bikes will get rare...

Edited by Skaap

Hey Witkop where can I get a blue chain to match my blue 29er wheels, bars and headset spacers, please let me know as I won't sleep until I know... AFAIK they are only available for SS. :D

I have decided no longer to bother with these debates but here's a comment from my Epic partner who rode a Niner HT :-

'A 29" HT is not in any way comparable to a 26" FS so don't let them try to fool you'