29er last night on supercycling

Vetseun

Could one of the 26 lovers please buy my anthem advanced. Me Specialized Epic 29er is due any day :clap:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could one of the 26 lovers please buy my anthem advanced. Me Specialized Epic 29er is due any day :clap:

Sure, since it's such a useless piece of dwang, how does a 100 ZARS grab you...shipping on you though ;)

He says he saves energy when riding the big wheels and is faster but why is his HR higher. Doesn't that mean more effort?

+1

i think of it this way:

on a vehicle: Speed-

a 13inch car wheel(mag) will accelerate the vehicle faster than a 17inch wheel.

(which is why F1 uses 13inch wheels )

however, the 17inch wheel gives higher top-end!

The Conclusion: 29er is good for cross-country mountain biking..rolls better, BUT is more difficult to climb with, and more difficult to steer thru tight singletrack!

Shade..... thats a seriously floored comparrison.... so basically you saying a

F1 car doesnt have good top speed because its got 13" wheels?? its all in the gearing boss.... a F1 track is smooth like a pool table, unlike an MTB course.... thats why it gets away with smaller wheels,,, maybe??

i think of it this way:

on a vehicle: Speed-

a 13inch car wheel(mag) will accelerate the vehicle faster than a 17inch wheel.

(which is why F1 uses 13inch wheels )

however, the 17inch wheel gives higher top-end!

The Conclusion: 29er is good for cross-country mountain biking..rolls better, BUT is more difficult to climb with, and more difficult to steer thru tight singletrack!

Comparing F1 is flawed because the tyres (and hence the wheels) are prescribed. F1 would probably use bigger wheels and low-profiles if they could, because they can then fit bigger brakes.

Edited by Barend de Arend

He has a slightly higher hear rate on the 29", but over a shorter time span, which could be the difference.

But put him on a tricycle and he will probably get a similar time. :lol:

If you are doing the Tour De Tuli, you have to have a 29er. Game viewing is so much better 3 inches higher :lol: .

I have a FS 26er that keeps throwing me off! So I recon I'll buy a 29er when I can master the 26er!

PS: I'm to slow for a 29er!

How many enginerds do we have on the hub?

How many guys do we have who ALWAY want to debate about it?

How many guys do we have on here who are keen to take two bikes around a track?

Why not organize a proper scientific double blind ;) ,placebo controlled experiment? I'm sure The Hub can get a manufacturer or two to join in the fun. Heck, we can even get 32Gi & Powerbalance in so thatwe are sure we have a fair playing field.

Edited by b-unit

From Sauser's site:

Specialized Epic 29er vs 26er

The big wheels made me go faster, both up and downhill!

Facts and figures of our testing day:

26er in Uphill

Time: 19.21

Heart Rate Max: 168 Average: 162

29er in Uphill

Time: 19.10

Hear Rate: Max: 171 Average: 164

26er in Downhill

time: 15.02

Hear Rate: Max: 165 Average: 156

29er in Downhill

Time: 14.50

Heart Rate: Max: 167 Average: 157

Weight:

26er 9.1kg / 29er 9.8kg (standard setups)

Tires:

26er Renegade 1.9 / 29er Renegade 1.95

Tire pressure:

front & rear 27psi

Shock Pressure:

26er fork 50psi, shock 150psi / 29er fork 60psi bottom and 90psi top, shock 150psi

Track:

5km singe trail, 220m elevation difference, rocky, rooty, sandy, smooth, tight and fast corners

To me these results are so close together, esp taking into account the higher ave HR on the 29 on both runs, that the only conclusion I get to is that the performance of the bikes are pretty much the same.

However, I know the track in Jonkers they did the tests on, very rocky and rutted in places, very easy to loose time bumping into stuff. Actually it is the EXACT same track that has since forever popped into my mind when everybody raves about 29ers, esp the rolling over roots/rocks bit. I just kept thinking if I had a 29, and all the hype surrounding it is true, man I'd destroy that section.

Well, Sauser proved this not to be the case, at least not to me..

Edited by chickenrun4me

I don't think it is about the size of the bike but more importantly the power in the legs. The last stage of the Epic is proof of that

Hey Witkop where can I get a blue chain to match my blue 29er wheels, bars and headset spacers, please let me know as I won't sleep until I know... AFAIK they are only available for SS. :D

WTF!!! here we go again - when will you stop - can we first try catchup before you start with this bling **** - i'm gonna phone ur wife and tell her you spending the childrens education trust.

I understand that 29er helps with the technical stuff. I also battle with the technical sh!t. Spend more time on the ground than on the bike.

My friend from what I can gather there are 2 reasons you want a 29er:

You will go faster and you will be able to do the technical parts easier.

Save your money and just keep riding the bike you have,the speed will come and your technical riding will improve.

It is not the bike but actually the rider that makes the difference??

10 second differences on either 26 or 29er is neither here nor there in a single race but adds up in a multi stage race, and yes there are positives and negatives with the 29er, so at the end of the day ride what feels comfortable not what mr. jones has...its hard enough keeping up in any case. If the fluckigers could win a stage by 2 min on 26ers (and lets give them credit because they had a tough time acclimatising this year) then they are good enough. also, have a look at the prologue of the epic in tokai and notice how many on 29ers ploughed in that single track. (might also have had something to do with evans' crash...might...besides the brakes....maybe)