Loose screw in shoes

mojopup

Ok, so brainy boys (and gals) I have discovered that half my problem I am currently having with my bikes is that my screws keep coming loose in my one shoe. What do you recommend I do about this?

And yes, I am getting new pedals just cause I feel the dire need to get mudshedding spds.

Ok, so brainy boys (and gals) I have discovered that half my problem I am currently having with my bikes is that my screws keep coming loose in my one shoe. What do you recommend I do about this?

And yes, I am getting new pedals just cause I feel the dire need to get mudshedding spds.

Put some locktite onto the screws . Tighten them with the correct tool. Check them every now and then (like every other bolt and screw on your bike).

And then spend your money on the other half of your bikes 'problems' instead of new pedals (pedals require maintenance too)

Put some locktite onto the screws . Tighten them with the correct tool. Check them every now and then (like every other bolt and screw on your bike).

And then spend your money on the other half of your bikes 'problems' instead of new pedals (pedals require maintenance too)

Interesting. So rather get a new bb and get pedals from my Sani partner? Hmm.... interesting! Bike is booked for a service for next week at Linden. Will then get them to put the pedals on.

Question on the locktite thing: this would mean I cant adjust my cleats once I have done this, so I will have to make sure its 100% correct? Hmm....

Interesting. So rather get a new bb and get pedals from my Sani partner? Hmm.... interesting! Bike is booked for a service for next week at Linden. Will then get them to put the pedals on.

Question on the locktite thing: this would mean I cant adjust my cleats once I have done this, so I will have to make sure its 100% correct? Hmm....

Use Nut Lock blue. It locks the thread. You can remove it at will, rattling can't. :thumbup:

Use Nut Lock blue. It locks the thread. You can remove it at will, rattling can't. :thumbup:

Super glue is easier.

Mark where the cleat is once you are happy with its position and then use locktite on the screws.

Edited by Mojoman

Rather a loose screw in the shoe than one in your head!

hehehe.... true! But its ok cause I am a mountainbike/roadie hybrid so there must be something messed.

I have the opposite problem.

The screws holding my road cleats are too tight and I have stripped a few of the heads already.

What to do?

The screws holding my road cleats are too tight and I have stripped a few of the heads already.

What to do?

Drill the head off ou boet and then use pliers....cause the cleat will fall off

What to do?

Drill them out. Use a drill bit just thicker than the screw (threaded section). Drill slowly into the hole where you insert the allen key. Go slowly until the head of the screw comes loose. The threaded section is normaly easy to remove by hand (I've just done it last night on both my shoes)If the threaded section is still stuck, use a thinner drillbit to drill a hole into it. Then tap/insert a allen key that goes in snugly into the hole you drilled, and it should then turn out without too much fuss.

Drill them out. Use a drill bit just thicker than the screw (threaded section). Drill slowly into the hole where you insert the allen key. Go slowly until the head of the screw comes loose. The threaded section is normaly easy to remove by hand (I've just done it last night on both my shoes)If the threaded section is still stuck, use a thinner drillbit to drill a hole into it. Then tap/insert a allen key that goes in snugly into the hole you drilled, and it should then turn out without too much fuss.

Carefull with the drilling it will build up heat so keep water closeby and cool op your sole from time to time as else you might melt the sole and ruin the shoes forever.

What to do?

Use a flat headed screw driver, fit into the allen key hole and knock it in a bit, then try turning it, repeat if necessary.