• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure that would work

It wouldn't at all because the chain will run at different speeds over each cog and in opposite directions BUT if the bigger cog spun freely it would work.

not sure that would work

Freewheel in 2 different directions, means you can produce power pedaling forward AND backward.

I am yet to find that same instant satisfaction in cycling, nothing beats the feeling when you are 150-200m off the ground and you manage to hang onto that tiny sliver of a "ledge" and make it to place the next cam / nut etc.

You need to do bigger drop offs. ;)

It wouldn't at all because the chain will run at different speeds over each cog and in opposite directions BUT if the bigger cog spun freely it would work.

it would work, but be pointless.

Freewheel in 2 different directions, means you can produce power pedaling forward AND backward.

aahhhh. must be the first version of gears ever invented Edited by facmp

That would look strange, peddling backwards to go forwards.

This is Drew Buck riding the 2007 Paris-Brest-Paris

He completed the 1200km in 89hours 1 minute

He was riding a Vintage Retrodrive from the 1920's

post-964-0-15863700-1376316118_thumb.jpg

post-964-0-04017700-1376316167_thumb.jpg

post-964-0-95025700-1376317594_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrantC

Average 13.48 kays an hour. That's my pace :thumbup:

I just thought the same thing... and I don't even carry onions on my bike :blush:

Average 13.48 kays an hour. That's my pace :thumbup:

Let's not forget that the rider surely stopped to take care of natures call and hopefully get some sleep in the 89hr ride ... so that average speed or rather average riding speed should increase dramatically once the above have been considered.

I would pay serious money for a retrodrive like that. Pedalling forward engages one rear cog; pedalling the other direction engages the other cog. So you get two ratios, one for flats and one for hills. Back in those days, your only other option was to flip-flop your back wheel, with a cog on either side.