• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you partake in helicopter puking? Hopefully that was a short-lived Rhodes thing.... dry.gif

Happened after my time, I think. Had a cute blonde start working with us some time back.

She took a desk about 3 metres away from me. I kept on catching her looking at me.

Eventually she e-mailed me. "You were in Goldfields, weren't you?" I replied that I was, and the exchange continued, with her saying that she remembers me being a very naughty lad.

I replied: "We didn't, like, you know…?"

I heard her giggle, before she replied: "No. But you worked your through some friends of mine."

I blushed, then replied: "Sorry I never got round to you."

The reply had me in stitches.

"No worries, I bat for the other team."

Check out the guy in the window!

What were their demands? New front teeth for everyone?

I took that photo from across the street as I was scared they'll start throwing stuff at me, or even take my camera :huh:

didn't know there was someone inside, until now

I guess some are more equal than others when it comes to the front teeth ;)

The Drake Equation

History

In 1960, Frank Drake conducted the first search for radio signals from extraterrestrial civilizations at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, West Virginia. Soon thereafter, the National Academy of Sciences asked Drake to convene a meeting on detecting extraterrestrial intelligence. The meeting was held at the Green Bank facility in 1961. The equation that bears Drake's name arose out of his preparations for the meeting:

As I planned the meeting, I realized a few day ahead of time we needed an agenda. And so I wrote down all the things you needed to know to predict how hard it's going to be to detect extraterrestrial life. And looking at them it became pretty evident that if you multiplied all these together, you got a number, N, which is the number of detectable civilizations in our galaxy. This, of course, was aimed at the radio search, and not to search for primordial or primitive life forms.

— Frank Drake

This meeting established SETI as a scientific discipline. The meeting's dozen participants — astronomers, physicists, biologists, social scientists, and industry leaders — became known as the "Order of the Dolphin". The Green Bank meeting has been commemorated by a plaque at the site.

The Drake equation is closely related to the Fermi paradox in that Drake suggested that a large number of extraterrestrial civilizations would form, but that the lack of evidence of such civilizations (the Fermi paradox) suggests that technological civilizations tend to disappear rather quickly. This theory often stimulates an interest in identifying and publicizing ways in which humanity could destroy itself, and then counters with hopes of avoiding such destruction and eventually becoming a space-faring species. A similar argument is the Great Filter,[2] which notes that since there are no observed extraterrestrial civilizations, despite the vast number of stars, then some step in the process must be acting as a filter to reduce the final value. According to this view, either it is very hard for intelligent life to arise, or the lifetime of such civilizations must be relatively short.

Carl Sagan, a great proponent of SETI, quoted the formula often and as a result the formula is sometimes mislabeled as "The Sagan Equation."

The equationThe Drake equation states that:

post-5558-0-72346500-1315467313.png

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

and

R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy

fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets

ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets

fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point

fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life

fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space

L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

The correct Frank Drake equation (source xkcd.com)

post-4486-0-45711800-1315473231.png

Smallh, is that you? Good photoshopping too.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

hahahahaha :lol:

yes - consider that as a photo of me as proof that I'm female :clap:

The fight over?

Back to ossumness now?

yeah..... I've gathered all my toys back that I threw out the cot :blush: