• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

How old is the probe in space years?

divide by 14.5 billion?

woof

Edited by MTBeer

great explanation here from a poster on The Guardian website as to why the New Horizons probe could not be made to orbit Pluto, but was only able to do a flyby.

6 7

Current rocket technology can get a small probe to Jupiter (and just barely). In order to get to the outer planets you need to use Jupiter or in the case of the Cassini probe Venus to slingshot it out. The planet that you use to increase speed from must be in a proper position in order for this to work, otherwise you will miss your target destination.
New Horizons was able to use Jupiter in order to increase its speed and make it to Pluto. A certain velocity of about 5km per second is necessary at a minimum because below that the sun's gravity will slow the probe, and may even start pulling it back.
So to answer your question in order to put NH into orbit you would need an amount of fuel equal to the rocket that sent it into space plus the amount fuel needed to stop it from the speed it got from Jupiter's gravitational assist. That's a lot of fuel, and really beyond anyone's current technological capabilities. Sorry if this sounds a little muddled. I'm writing this on an iPhone.

divide by 14.5 billion?

woof

After some serious reading this morning, special relativity only applies to speeds greater than 1 tenth of the speed of light.

maybe not in the movies.. but he must have said it to countless females in his younger years when he was fresh out of Jedi school.

When he was just a green padawan?  :huh:

Talking of young Jedis...the other day I was moaning to my son about Scar, the boxer that has taken over my house since I got him from Wayne. He's so nasal when he cruises around that I said to Breandan that it was like having a teenage Darth Vader in the house.

"But, Dad," he said smugly, "if he was a teen, that would make him Anakin Skywalker..."   

Talking of young Jedis...the other day I was moaning to my son about Scar, the boxer that has taken over my house since I got him from Wayne. He's so nasal when he cruises around that I said to Breandan that it was like having a teenage Darth Vader in the house.

"But, Dad," he said smugly, "if he was a teen, that would make him Anakin Skywalker..."   

Yeah, thinking of cancelling my internet access, I have a teenager in the house...they seem to know fkn everything...

Yeah, thinking of cancelling my internet access, I have a teenager in the house...they seem to know fkn everything...

:clap:  :D

:clap:  :D

won't make a difference if I go my soon to be 10 year old's "worldly knowledge" ...... 

Guest notmyname

Employ him now, while he still knows everything. Gold mine.