Riding etiquette at Groenkloof

Dirtracker

Over the last 5 months my family has decided to join Dad in his mountain bike endeavours and we now cycle every Sunday at Groenkloof. As the family are learning the ropes from Dad,we are not the fastest group on the trail, but what really annoys me is that seasoned MTB'ers just don't extend the same etiquette as they would when we race. Instead of sneaking up from behind and snorting to get past, just "track", "passing left, right, centre" would be greatly appreciated, instead of frightening the hell out of my family. :thumbdown:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Groenkloof is not an easy ride, especially when you are doing an expression session (ie hammering it). Obviously the fast riders are moving so fast that they are on your wheel before you realise it. Most will wait patiently (on your wheel) until the first clear place to pass. In most cases the "Snort" is actually a "hi, there, I hope you are enjoying your ride, and thankyou for letting me pass." Unfortunatley there is very little breath for anything else. So sorry if it freeks you out.

Ja not cool, whether its a five year old on a makro special or burry stander...if they are on their bikes, they have the track, if people snort behind you, advise them not to ride while they are sick.

However if you are off your bike and pushing...you must get off the track, once again this applies to burry and the 5 year old girl on the makro special, simple really

Groenkloof is not an easy ride, especially when you are doing an expression session (ie hammering it). Obviously the fast riders are moving so fast that they are on your wheel before you realise it. Most will wait patiently (on your wheel) until the first clear place to pass. In most cases the "Snort" is actually a "hi, there, I hope you are enjoying your ride, and thankyou for letting me pass." Unfortunatley there is very little breath for anything else. So sorry if it freeks you out.

Agreed...I consider a "Snort" to be a perfectly acceptable form of communication.

Its all I can manage......absolutely no reason to discuss the weather and hows your father

Edited by Kranswurm

Agreed...I consider a "Snort" to be a perfectly acceptable form of communication.

Its all I can manage......absolutely no reason to discuss the weather and hows your father

I have been racing for the last 2 years so I do understand the etiquette and "snorting" factor but when you are riding down the sand roads and the next minute a rider comes through the middle without any warning I want to bliksem him. Oh and a thank you for giving track or getting out thee way would also be appreciated.

Hey, we should get this thread merged with that free slip streaming one. What a hoot that'd be :lol:

Slow guy also paid to ride there.

Communicate your intentions to pass clearly and politely and pass when it is safe to do so!

Julius is enough of an ass for all of us - no need to be a jerk.

The person in front has right of way - as long as he/she is riding!

Someone once tried to push Mrs. The Butcher off the trail once - we had a quick chat.

You dont own the singletrack - enjoy the privilege - you can always go back and do it again or give the slowpokes a gap before you rock-out-with-ya-cock-out!

Play nice

I have been racing for the last 2 years so I do understand the etiquette and "snorting" factor but when you are riding down the sand roads and the next minute a rider comes through the middle without any warning I want to bliksem him. Oh and a thank you for giving track or getting out thee way would also be appreciated.

Remember that you are out there to enjoy nature and the ride, if you feel like bliksemming him then you have allowed the oke to spoil your "me time", just brush it aside and get back into the nice of it :)

I agree that politeness won't hurt anyone, and the few seconds you wait really won't kill your time so much. It's not a race after all.

That said, I haven't ever had such a situation before. I'm not a slow rider, and usually I pass people on the singletracks, but the few times the really fast guys came past they usually either wait silently or politely ask, and then thank me. Most of the times the slower riders give way long before I am even in a position to ask to go past. I always thank them though.

My opinion: I really think that the rudeness at Groenkloof is the exception, and not the rule.

Everything in moderation I say.

95% of the time over taking is a pleasant and uneventful process...

The only time I get a bit peeved is when parent/children/fun rider combos clog up technical bits by standing about watching each other ride down/through the technical bits taking photos and what not. This makes it impossible for anyone else to flow through nicely.

Failing that a quick hello/thank you combo keeps everyone happy.

My opinion: I really think that the rudeness at Groenkloof is the exception, and not the rule.

Yeah, that's my experience too. :thumbup:

I am by no means a rocket on my bike, but I have had two occasions at Groenies where I have had to dive into the bush because of kids coming the wrong way on a trail and more times than I can remember of trails being blocked by kids bikes that have been left in the middle of the singletrack.

I am however always polite and will never shout for track, but I have been met with many a mutter and angry look from parents on the trails when trying to pass.

It works both ways

These days there seem to be more trail runners on the mtb routes as well!!

Shouldn't they stick to the hiking routes? :unsure:

These days there seem to be more trail runners on the mtb routes as well!!

What's the etiquette for passing them? Or are they the ones that snort up behind you and mumble as they pass?