Morewood frames

Roan

I've been upgrading my GT Avalanche 1.0 as I went along and as funds became available. Almost everything XT apart from the DT Fork... still bolted onto the GT frame.

Although slightly on the heavy side I have peace of mind, knowing nothing short of a nuclear bomb will destruct a GT frame.

I'm looking at getting a new frame and would like to hear from current and previous Morewood owners. Maybe not something to base a decision on but I love the fact that it's build in SA. The most important question I have is whether it will be able to take the same hammering the GT can withstand. I'm a fairly good technical rider and really don't hold back on downhills or drops.

I haven't succumbed to the conform of the dual susser and so I have an eye on the 26" Kwela. Any comments on this or other Morewood pros/cons?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morewoods arent the lightest but the zula probably have the best geomitry of any full sus frame out in the market, Major fun to ride, and will eat the miles. In my opinion you cant go wrong. My bro who is much more serious about his biking than me (you know the insane kind that does the baviaans, epic, sani etc) loves his Zula and i can blame him. It looks good and rides like a deamon.

Look no further than a zula. Its an absolute treat to ride and the harder your ride it the better it gets.

Also the singe pivot is the easiest from a service and maintenance point of view.

Sorry, but the Morewood Kwela frames are not built in SA. And although it is a gorgeous frame, it is heavy for such an expensive frame. But the weight will probably add to it's strength and should withstand anything you through at it seeing that Morewood builds killer DH rigs.

I'll always keep my GT, even if it's just as a back up bike. Besides being indestructable, they have a certain iconic charm that would make it hard to part with :)

Well I was mistaken about the build in SA then. Thought the factory was in Pietermaritzburg. Feel the same way about the GT. Maybe replacing the Avalance frame with a Zaskar will be a less emotional move.

Did the Sani as well and I felt that 3 days on a hardtail was already an achievement. I don't really do fun rides - recovery happens in the gym. So if the Zula and hard riding goes together I will definitely have a look at it as well.

Well I was mistaken about the build in SA then. Thought the factory was in Pietermaritzburg.

You are right. The factory is in PMB but the Kwela is their only frame that is not made in SA. It does get painted here though.

I have a Morewood Kwela and so far it's been bomb proof. It's just under 10 kg. Made in Taiwan and painted in Pietermaritzburg

post-4329-0-29771700-1306305757.jpg

Look no further than a zula. Its an absolute treat to ride and the harder your ride it the better it gets.

Also the singe pivot is the easiest from a service and maintenance point of view.

Yup. The Zula is just an amazing bike. I have a 6 inch travel Intense Tracer as well, and I basically ride the Zula the same aggressive way as I do the Intense. I sometimes have to remind myself that the Zula is actually a XC bike, because it feels as tough as an All mountain bike. Highly recommended and Proudly South African.

Shew - getting big sense of dejavu here :D

I've also been building my GT Avalanche 1.0 up over the past few months, also with XT stuffs and have recently just bought a Zula frame and should be completing the parts swap tonight. Haven't had a chance to ride the Zula yet, but I can tell you that it looks AWESOME!

I have a Morewood Kwela and so far it's been bomb proof. It's just under 10 kg. Made in Taiwan and painted in Pietermaritzburg

That is one damn sexy ride!

The black and burnt orange is a winner.

Oh and I guess weighing in at less than 10 makes the frame much lighter than the GT then. With the XT stuff and wheels and the DT Fork mine is still around 11.5.

Shew - getting big sense of dejavu here :D

I've also been building my GT Avalanche 1.0 up over the past few months, also with XT stuffs and have recently just bought a Zula frame and should be completing the parts swap tonight. Haven't had a chance to ride the Zula yet, but I can tell you that it looks AWESOME!

We dont believe you until you post pics ;)

Zula is an awesome bike with a pedigree second to none...oh and bulletproof :clap:

I always thought that the Kwela tubes were extruded and hydro formed overseas and then welded and finished in SA.

Will find out more info.

Oh and I guess weighing in at less than 10 makes the frame much lighter than the GT then. With the XT stuff and wheels and the DT Fork mine is still around 11.5.

My frame is a Medium (17.5" or 18"?) and I weighed it in at 1.42 kg. The frame is machine welded, many people have asked me if it's Carbon because you cannot see that it is welded :unsure: