Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

hubbers advice needed;

i have the following :

Canon 70D

18 -55 STM lens

70 - 300 L lens

100mm 2.8 L Macro lens

i am interested in getting a walk around lens for everyday type of shooting . i got offered a good 24 -105 F4 L series lens for R6250

any advice good or bad is needed on this lens, bear in mind the lenses i already have. or what do you suggest

thanks

You are building up a group of quality lenses there. I presume you want more reach in a walkaround lens than your 18-55 offers? The 24-105 is nice. A quality lens but lacking at the wide end for your crop sensor camera. I am very happy with Nikon's equivalent 24-120 f4 on my fullframe body.

If you are prepared to compromise slightly on image quality to score some versatility then go for one of the superzooms - lots to choose from but Canon's 18-200 would be my suggestion.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the 18-200 from Canon. Great take one lens along solution. It does battle in low light past 120mm. But that's to be expected I suppose.

thanks for the advice guys.

i opted not to take the 24 - 105 L based on 90% of the research saying its not ideal for the 70D with its cropped sensor. the full potential is obtained on the full frame camera.

the search thus continues  :thumbup:

Edited by Madone69

thanks for the advice guys.

i opted not to take the 24 - 105 L based on 90% of the research saying its not ideal for the 70D with its cropped sensor. the full potential is obtained on the full frame camera.

the search thus continues :thumbup:

Have a look for a Tamron 24-135mm lens[emoji106][emoji106]

Howzit Guys. My Lowepro Mini Trekker's zip has finally given up the ghost. Don't feel comfortable carrying it on my back, as the zip "tears" open, and I really don't want anything to fall out. Anybody aware of who could replace the zip for me, without botching it up? The other option is to replace it with a Lowepro Pro Tactic 450AW. Anybody using one? The various access points look interesting on paper, but may not be so great in practise... Tks

Howzit Guys. My Lowepro Mini Trekker's zip has finally given up the ghost. Don't feel comfortable carrying it on my back, as the zip "tears" open, and I really don't want anything to fall out. Anybody aware of who could replace the zip for me, without botching it up? The other option is to replace it with a Lowepro Pro Tactic 450AW. Anybody using one? The various access points look interesting on paper, but may not be so great in practise... Tks

Cannot give advise for your neck of the woods, but in Cape Town, I have found a motor car interior trimmer that did something like that for me. Their sowing machines are tough enough and they are used to stitching odd shaped things. You can find strong zippers from a tent manufacturer. Sometimes they are also willing to do a repair like that, but the bigger ones won't, unless it is one of their own products.

Cannot give advise for your neck of the woods, but in Cape Town, I have found a motor car interior trimmer that did something like that for me. Their sowing machines are tough enough and they are used to stitching odd shaped things. You can find strong zippers from a tent manufacturer. Sometimes they are also willing to do a repair like that, but the bigger ones won't, unless it is one of their own products.

Thanks DJR. Thanks for the info. If Singer Photographic can't help, I'll contact a local upholsterer. :thumbup:

Since we're talking about camera "protection"..........I have used a hard Pelican Case for about 15 years. It is waterproof, dustproof, tough as nails. It goes anywhere with me, trains, planes, automobiles, boats, dust, rain, snow.........Last year one of the latches broke so I took it back to Orms in Cape Town, where I bought it, and asked whether it could be repaired otherwise I would have to buy a new one. No problem they said, leave it with us and we'll sms you when it is ready to collect. Two weeks later I get the message and when I went to pick it up, I find out that the repair was done for free under a lifetime warranty I didn't even know about. They sommer replaced both the latches with the later model. It was shipped to Joburg and back, repaired, no questions asked, not even a "where did you buy it" or "where is your proof of purchase". Needless to say, I am now an even bigger fanboy of both Pelican and Orms. :thumbup:

hubbers advice needed;

i have the following  :

Canon 70D 

18 -55 STM lens

70 - 300 L lens

100mm 2.8 L Macro lens

No disrespect to anyones preferences, but after i started using primes, I have become very weary of the image quality that comes with superzooms and the likes.

You have a 70D which is an enthusiast level crop camera, so pair it with enthusiast lenses. it will make your experience all the better.  (except for that 10-18mm, its cheap but oh so sharp)

I am interested in getting a walk around lens for everyday type of shooting .   i got offered a good 24 -105 F4 L series lens for R6250 

any advice good or bad is needed on this lens, bear in mind the lenses i already have.  or what do you suggest

thanks

Hi

yep, ignore the 24-105mm. even if you had full frame, I would say rather get a 24-70mm 2.8. The longer the focal range, the worse the IQ and the aperteur.

I have a 18-50mm Tamron F2.8.  It was a bargain and super sharp. Its equivalent to 24-70 on Full frame.

With the money you save, get a 10-18mm STM. it is amazing at landscapes at a bargain price as well.

I shoot with a canon 70D.

18-50mm F2.8 tamron (good all rounder)

50mm F1.4

85mm F1.8 (my favourite lens)

10-18mm STM (second favourite)

50-250 STM (almost never use it)

Edited by nazmo

Howzit Guys. My Lowepro Mini Trekker's zip has finally given up the ghost. Don't feel comfortable carrying it on my back, as the zip "tears" open, and I really don't want anything to fall out. Anybody aware of who could replace the zip for me, without botching it up? The other option is to replace it with a Lowepro Pro Tactic 450AW. Anybody using one? The various access points look interesting on paper, but may not be so great in practise... Tks

Don't they offer a lifetime warranty on those things?

Hi

yep, ignore the 24-105mm. even if you had full frame, I would say rather get a 24-70mm 2.8. The longer the focal range, the worse the IQ and the aperteur.

I have a 18-50mm Tamron F2.8.  It was a bargain and super sharp. Its equivalent to 24-70 on Full frame.

With the money you save, get a 10-18mm STM. it is amazing at landscapes at a bargain price as well.

I shoot with a canon 70D.

18-50mm F2.8 tamron (good all rounder)

50mm F1.4

85mm F1.8 (my favourite lens)

10-18mm STM (second favourite)

50-250 STM (almost never use it)

Tamron or Canon? I am very tempted to get a wide angle, because I really enjoy landscapes.

Edit: Congrats on your selection! Some awesome photos there.

Edited by Robrider

Not on wear and tear, like zips and canvas, which I suppose is fair. Bag is at least 5 years old, even though it hasn't seen heavy usage. Awaiting reply from Singer Photographic...

Not on wear and tear, like zips and canvas, which I suppose is fair. Bag is at least 5 years old, even though it hasn't seen heavy usage. Awaiting reply from Singer Photographic...