Fake merchandise...

bontie

just look at the latest watch craze namely Toy Watch. I think Edgars sells one where it does have a different name but even the logo is designed to look like Toy Watch's logo.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if my mail order wife is a fake or generic version of the picture I saw :unsure:

http://teammidnightridazz.com/images/pics-or-it-didnt-happen-flyer.jpg

Or was it a case of:

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2010/4/23/54%20Let%27s%20Pretend%20This%20Didn%27t%20Happen.jpg

All of you are :offtopic:

Fakes and "non original" are not the same thing.

If i buy a Swatch watch that looks just like a Rolex, same colours, feel, dials etc but says Swatch, it is not a fake. A Rolex bought in a chinese shop for R100 that says Rolex, is a fake.

I have no problem buying non originals as long as they dont try and trick me into thinking that it is original.

I agree with you in principle, however you CAN get good quality fakes, just because its a fake do's not necessarily make it an inferior product. Cost is built into many facets of a product before it reaches us, advertising, packaging, patents, international distribution, margins etc, there is no reason a manufacturer cannot make a fake Rolex as good as the original and still be cheaper, and therein lies the differance.

I agree with you in principle, however you CAN get good quality fakes, just because its a fake do's not necessarily make it an inferior product. Cost is built into many facets of a product before it reaches us, advertising, packaging, patents, international distribution, margins etc, there is no reason a manufacturer cannot make a fake Rolex as good as the original and still be cheaper, and therein lies the differance.

Except that the fake Rolex has no actual value. One buys a Rolex as a timeless investment, with intrinsic value. It's a value created by our perceptions, since there is no such thing as actual 'worth' per se. I always use the example that if one showed a polar bear a handful of diamonds, or a handful of fish, which would have more value to him?

Since we've created the value perception, based on many factors, it stands that a Rolex is worth much more than the sum of its parts. Buying a fake Rolex, and wearing it, is a mentality I don't understand. It shows a very shallow, confused individual.

Except that the fake Rolex has no actual value. One buys a Rolex as a timeless investment, with intrinsic value. It's a value created by our perceptions, since there is no such thing as actual 'worth' per se. I always use the example that if one showed a polar bear a handful of diamonds, or a handful of fish, which would have more value to him?

Since we've created the value perception, based on many factors, it stands that a Rolex is worth much more than the sum of its parts. Buying a fake Rolex, and wearing it, is a mentality I don't understand. It shows a very shallow, confused individual.

Well, you will enjoy this story then...Lets just say someone I know (not me alright) has a collection of about 6 Rolex's. All orignal and some 2nd hand, but he/she went and ordered a R1600 fake rolex (from China) thats looks just like the original one that he/she has. When asked why buy a fake (impossible to tell the difference), i was told that, "I dont want to wear my expensive one and mess it up"

R1600 for a fake :blink:

Edited by MTBer wannabee

Well, you will enjoy this story then...Lets just say someone I know (not me alright) has a collection of about 6 Rolex's. All orignal and some 2nd hand, but he/she went and ordered a R1600 fake rolex (from China) thats looks just like the original one that he/she has. When asked why buy a fake (impossible to tell the difference), i was told that, "I dont want to wear my expensive one and mess it up"

R1600 for a fake :blink:

Then your friend cannot afford to own a Rolex. It's like buying a Ferarri and never driving it. These things are made to be used and enjoyed, and like a great wine, they get better with age. Your friend bought the Rolex to 'look' rich. Being rich and looking rich are not the same thing. Being rich you'd only want to wear the handstitched Italian shoes because the value of owning and using something exclusive has meaning personally.

I know it doesn't seem to make sense, and humans are a strange species. Full of contradictions. Like if your estate agent pulls up in a Porsche you'd think he's ripping you off somewhere, but if he pulled up in a beat up old Jetta, you'd think he was bad at his job.

As with a lot of topics on here, I think it has sidetracked somewhat. The point I was trying to make was, exactly the following scenarios.

Person a advertises : Pinarello Dogma copy - we all flame him, post gets deleted, it was a proper copy, with their attempt at the "proboscis" headtube, curvy wavy forks etc.. I am not talking about unbranded bikes, that look nothing like a Pinarello, which are afeectionately known as Chinarellos.

http://www.greatkeenbike.com/main/home/cp_detail.php?id=64&nowmenuid=12&cpath=0009:&catid=0

Some Eastern fella posted this on thehubsa a couple of months ago.

Person B advertises Castelli kit : People buy it and no one says a word. The freaking Castelli logo is all over the kit. It is counterfeit goods and illegal. The SAPS should knock on your door (if they don't break down the neighbours gate), take all your fake sh!t and burn it...

Generics are a different story, they do not pretend to be the real thing!

Well, I dont like to pass judgement on people I dont know, so I cant comment on why people will buy them, perhaps like the other post said, if it gets lost or stolen its onlt the fake one not the original.

...but yes, you raise a very good point on percieved value, although this value is still only in the mind of the purchaser, and if someone did not percieve a Rolex as an escalating investment in craftsmanship and value, then why not buy a good fake, in essence it still tells the time, looks good and will probably last for many years - its really a difficult thing to nail down.

Just this morning I read an article that says S.Africans in general (NOTE - before I get all sorts of hate mail :D - I SAID IN GENERAL) see a car as a status symbol and not as a means of transport and they will get heavily into debt to own one, but the Europeans (again in general) see a car as transport and as long as it suits their needs the "Status" value is mostly ignored.

Maybe its the same with good fakes.?

And what would you have the 7 year old chinese children do anyway ?

Exactly, and some of them have entire families to support - you don't want to take the food out of their mouths.

As with a lot of topics on here, I think it has sidetracked somewhat. The point I was trying to make was, exactly the following scenarios.

Person a advertises : Pinarello Dogma copy - we all flame him, post gets deleted, it was a proper copy, with their attempt at the "proboscis" headtube, curvy wavy forks etc.. I am not talking about unbranded bikes, that look nothing like a Pinarello, which are afeectionately known as Chinarellos.

http://www.greatkeenbike.com/main/home/cp_detail.php?id=64&nowmenuid=12&cpath=0009:&catid=0

Some Eastern fella posted this on thehubsa a couple of months ago.

Person B advertises Castelli kit : People buy it and no one says a word. The freaking Castelli logo is all over the kit. It is counterfeit goods and illegal. The SAPS should knock on your door (if they don't break down the neighbours gate), take all your fake sh!t and burn it...

Generics are a different story, they do not pretend to be the real thing!

Sorry, I went off track before I saw your post here.

...I never read the classifieds here so I havent seen it, but, in all likelyhood its just someone airing an opinion dont you think.?

...but heres the ballbuster, the other day the cops picked up two guys in Douglasdale in JHB with $80 million dollars of counterfeit US Dollars plus a few cellphones and various other stuff.

The prosecutor refused to press charges as he said there was insufficient evidence to prove how they came to be in the possession of the $80 mill. :blink: so they are free to go.

So a few counterfeit bicycle jerseys are unlikely to get much attention.

Sorry, I went off track before I saw your post here.

...I never read the classifieds here so I havent seen it, but, in all likelyhood its just someone airing an opinion dont you think.?

...but heres the ballbuster, the other day the cops picked up two guys in Douglasdale in JHB with $80 million dollars of counterfeit US Dollars plus a few cellphones and various other stuff.

The prosecutor refused to press charges as he said there was insufficient evidence to prove how they came to be in the possession of the $80 mill. :blink: so they are free to go.

So a few counterfeit bicycle jerseys are unlikely to get much attention.

My blood is still boiling after hearing that.I know some of the guys that worked on that bust and they are the moer in.

Not just the watches but 38 stolen cell phones and R700k worth of stolen watches and the 2 farkers just walk free.

I was thinking about something last week.... My wife sometimes buys P&P no name products (peanut butter, marie biscuits, popped rice, etc.. She pays about 5-10% less than the other brands like keloggs or black cat, for example. My problem is that the saving should be on the plain packaging ( as claimed by Mr Ackerman) but i find that the quality of the no name products (generally) is really poor.

Now if P&P are already saving on packaging ( and I feel this saving alone constitutes the saving passed onto the consumer), then it follows that the additional saving as a result of the poor product quality actually makes no name products seriously poor value for money.

The reason I raise this issue is because I feel as though buying no name products is comparable to buying fake stuff....Just my opinion.

Personally, I don't buy fake anything. If i cant afford the real thing I wait until I can.

Edited by crackajack

Had a fake Porsche Spider a few years ago . Was a babe magnet of note ! I feel very guilty now about it ! I should have waited till I could get a real one .

The reason I raise this issue is because I feel as though buying no name products is comparable to buying fake stuff....Just my opinion.

I disagree. PnP source their product from the cheapest supplier on the parket and have their stock packaged by them.

So one month your peanut butter could be 'black cat' the next, another brand. It all depends on who is willing to provide the cheaper product.

At one point I at corn flakes - I used to buy the PnP brand because it was cheaper and was the same as the Bokomo flakes - crispier and didn't go soggy. Then one day I see it Kellog's flakes - paler and soggy quickly. I just decided to buy Bokomo packaged boxes coz then I know what I was getting.

I don't think that PnP is inferior but I think that they change suppliers too often to get the same quality product in the tin / bottle / box.

Just my opinion.

Oh ja, fakes :thumbdown:

I am saving up for my carbon Colnago :D :thumbup:

Edited by SirK

Had a fake Porsche Spider a few years ago . Was a babe magnet of note ! I feel very guilty now about it ! I should have waited till I could get a real one .

:lol: Touche'

I am saving up for my carbon Colnago :D :thumbup:

I really really like the M10,but if you see a fake please let me know ;)