Running Shoes

I want to start running to help my MTB'ing.

I know nothing about running shoes other than they come in "Neutral or Pronate".

Any advice on which shoes to buy?

Any advice on how I tell if I am neutral or pronate?

Neutral, pronate, supernate , forefoot strike, heel strike and the list goes on.

My advice , get a very minimalist shoe, start off by trying to mid-foot or forefoot strike and prevent many injuries that are looming.

Get yourself to Randburg Runner in Linden (take you current pair of running shoes with) and they will help you out.

running shoes are a very personal thing. firstly go to a proper running shop not places like sportmans warehouse. if you by any chance have old running shoes or similar take that with you, this is for them to see if you are neutral or pronate. don't buy shoes according to price. let them bring out all the appropiate shoes. put one shoe on the left, another one on the right, the best fitting shoes between the two stays on your foot and put a other shoe on the other foot, repeat this untill you've been trough all the shoes, then you will be sure which is the best fitting shoes at the end of the day.

if you are going to do trailrunning, have a look out at the adidas response trail 16/17(the big brother of the kanadia), i've had mine for longer than a year now and the are the longest lasting shoes i've seen in a long time.

Get yourself to Randburg Runner in Linden (take you current pair of running shoes with) and they will help you out.

+1 Mampara's right. I did exactly the same thing and it definitely helps your cycling, but we have a brilliant running shop in Durban North and the guy is seriously jacked up - makes you walk and watches your steps and tells you what sort of shoe you need.

dont waste time trying to find something yourself. Get a good pair and get a pro to show you what you need, otherwise youre just gonna be throwing your cash at something that 'looks nice'but doesnt do what you need.

For road I wear Asics and for trail running Salomon cross max. I would definitely recommend Asics to anyone. But yes the guys are right its best to visit a pro shop and let them check you out make sure you dont pronate. Sportsmans are not that great re for price or advice.

Go to any ‘The sweat shop’ They will sort you out and the make and kind of shoe you need.

Avoid ‘Total Sport’. All you’ll get there is loud hip-hop music, incompetent staff talking to 20 of their friends that are seated on the benches you are suppose to use when fitting shoes, and a wide variety of “sportive” shoes (Shoes that have nothing to do with sport, but they go nice with tracksuit pants. like I was told when I dare to ask......)

For road I wear Asics and for trail running Salomon cross max. I would definitely recommend Asics to anyone. But yes the guys are right its best to visit a pro shop and let them check you out make sure you dont pronate. Sportsmans are not that great re for price or advice.

Also my weapons of choice... U need to find something that also suits the kind of terrain you will be running on - trail shoes dont do so well on the road!

The right shoe is also going to save you a lot in the long run - cheap shoes = many physio appointments. Like a good bike setup, shoes are even more important due to the pounding on your knees from the impact.

Go to any ‘The sweat shop’ They will sort you out and the make and kind of shoe you need.

That's who set me up many years ago.

Vibram Five Fingers! Just take it easy in the beginning, it takes time to rebuild the muscles in your feet. I've been running seriously for the last 6 years. I had injury issues all the time until I started running 'barefoot'.

I'm a huge New Balance fan. Their concept stores have trained staff who film your stride on a treadmill, and by stop framing the footage it's easy to see if you pronate or not.

Vibram Five Fingers! Just take it easy in the beginning, it takes time to rebuild the muscles in your feet. I've been running seriously for the last 6 years. I had injury issues all the time until I started running 'barefoot'.

That's interesting to hear. I've been looking at running in Five Fingers too. Do you run trails in them? I see they have just come out with a version that has more tread.

That's interesting to hear. I've been looking at running in Five Fingers too. Do you run trails in them? I see they have just come out with a version that has more tread.

PM Dangle. He's a true believer :D

"Get yourself to Randburg Runner in Linden (take you current pair of running shoes with) and they will help you out."

Done.

Tried on different shoes, they watched me run etc. Much better than dealing with mimumum wage types at Sportsman's warehouse. Got a pair of Sauconies in the end. Thanks Mampara and everyone.