going 10 speed

The Silverback Man

deraileur is needed aswell i think...the pull ratio and stuff changes in my understanding so wouldnt work with a 9 spd der... not sure though <_<

you might get away with not changing the derailler, but is there enough room in between the frame and wheel?

Its almost time for me replacing some bits and pieces of my groupset (9 speed). Im worried that 9 speed might phase out and because of that im scared replacing with new 9 speed stuff.

Will 9 speed be phasing out anytime soon? Is 10 speed far superior to 9 speed and therefor worthwhile just getting a new 10 speed groupset anyway?

Will 9 speed be phasing out anytime soon?

No but you will battle to get XT and XTR quality in 9 speed in a few years.

New 2012 XT is out so price should drop on current XT

You will need to replace the rear deraileur when going to 10 speed.

Its almost time for me replacing some bits and pieces of my groupset (9 speed). Im worried that 9 speed might phase out and because of that im scared replacing with new 9 speed stuff.

Will 9 speed be phasing out anytime soon? Is 10 speed far superior to 9 speed and therefor worthwhile just getting a new 10 speed groupset anyway?

Minutes after you upgrade to 10 speed after they phased out 9 speed they will phase out 26" wheels and you have to go to 29" wheels, unfortunately that is the story of cycling and that is how "they" make munny!

Jaco, I have just recently changed to 10 speed ( came with my new bike). It is a 3 x 10 and I get the feeling that there are too many gears, if that is possible. I've only had three rides one of which was the 77km at the Induna so maybe my perception will change with more rides. It might be that a 2 x 10 is more effective but I won't know until I've tried it.

you might get away with not changing the derailler, but is there enough room in between the frame and wheel?

No offence but this is why you should not always listen to what you read on the hub. :rolleyes:

Jaco, I have just recently changed to 10 speed ( came with my new bike). It is a 3 x 10 and I get the feeling that there are too many gears, if that is possible. I've only had three rides one of which was the 77km at the Induna so maybe my perception will change with more rides. It might be that a 2 x 10 is more effective but I won't know until I've tried it.

I'm riding a 29er with 3x10spd. Before this I was on a 3x9spd 29er. As a heavier rider (95kg) who loves multi-stage MTB, I got great use out of the 3x10 option on Sani2C. BUT - Whatever works, I guess - although there's no reason to make your own ride tougher just to please critics who swear by cutting out 10 speeds!

I have nothing against 10 speed. Im just happy with the 9 speed and dont see the need in changing (probably because i have not experienced 10 speed on mtb). Just scared buying new 9 speed bits to find out couple of months down the line that they are phasing out.

Funny how we all want more gears on the back and less on the front... Sure;y if we weren't all trying to run double or single ring setup up front we would all be satisfied with our 8 or 9 speed bikes? LOL!

:stupid:

No offence but this is why you should not always listen to what you read on the hub. :rolleyes:

sorry non taken I meant to say get away with the front derailler