What software for heart rate based training?

Apparently there is no science or basis for using heart rate as a measure of fitness, so then it must be a pointless measure for training. Don't waste your time.

Do you know what Software has the prettiest picture for a Garmin 405 then? Must be an offline version.

Thnx :rolleyes:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love GarminConnect. Cloud-based, SaaS so from a technical point of view it's kinda sexy, while it provides all the slice n dice I could ever want for my funriding activities. Easy to use as well, especially on PC. Setting it up for my wife on her Mac was a nightmare, nothing seems to work properly on a Mac. Actually, I've given her Mac a nickname: That effing Mac!!

There's something wrong with this. It can't be this technologically wonderful cloud based SaaS, if it doesn't work work across platforms. That kinda defeats the object of SaaS. Anyway... :blink:

Sorry to say but GTC and Garmin Connect sucks ... you can not customize anything in GTC and not a whole lot in GC.

If you want to download your ride data an look at the pretty pictures on the map of where you have ridden, then both are fine for that.

If you want to analyze your training, track your equipment, improve your fitness, design workout plans ... then you need something a bit more powerful.

Tracking of equipment is what got me hooked in SportTracks in the first place. Want to know how many km's I did on a gatorskin 3 years ago on a set of training wheels. I can tell you, I can tell you how many hours and how many times it was used too :thumbup: Here's just an example:

post-4352-0-90190700-1308582211.jpg

SportTracks - I keep telling you! Offline, customizable and much much more detailed than GTC or Garmin Connect.

You can customize your reports, install plugins, import data

There are developers sitting around just waiting to hear from you, if they can design any new plug-ins that does not already exist. That is the beauty of ST, if you dont like something, there is someone that will change it for you.

With Garmin, we have been pissing and moaning for years and nothing has changed. It took them over 4 years to give you the option of choosing the start day of the week.

Maybe some pictures will help ....

post-4352-0-00164500-1308579941.jpg

Ave heart rate for the selected period.

Time of selected period.

etc ect ect ... all you want bud!

+1

@Tankman

Using sporttracks can I compare data for between rides on the exact same route. Eg can I superimpose heart rate for example for the 2 rides on the route and see the graphs side by side

Thanks

@Tankman

Using sporttracks can I compare data for between rides on the exact same route. Eg can I superimpose heart rate for example for the 2 rides on the route and see the graphs side by side

Thanks

I am not sure if that is available as a standard feature. Haven't tried doing it myself.

What you basically want to do, is lets say you do a specific 40km TT route, compare the data and see your improvement?

Have a look at the plugins here

This one sprang to mind but I havent used it myself.

If you cant find exactly what you are looking for, post your query on their forum... you will find an answer there or a developer ready to write your plugin at a nominal fee of course :thumbup:

@Tankman

You seem to be the guru on SportsTrack. Have you migrated to version 3 (paid version)? If so isn't having to purchase the different plug - ins from different people just annoying. Paying $10 here and $10 there.

Will load it shortly and see what the trial version does.

Yup, I am using Version 3 but the full version and worth it! The trial version has some limits. You will only be able to use 2 plugins and track to pieces of equipment.

If you were using version 2.1 previously, there is a way around this some of the limitations.

There are so many free plugins you dont need to worry about paying anything! I am currently using 9 plugins and they didnt cost me a cent or $

Nope, that is the standard equipment log. I just customized the data fields to display what I want to see.

Not a fan of OMB's stuff, he teases you for a month and then it stops working :thumbdown:

I like the fact that you can link equipment with each other.

Here I have all that goes with my training wheels linked together.

So when uploading after I ride, I simply choose the bike and training

post-4352-0-87053100-1308747904.jpg

or racing wheelset :thumbup:

post-4352-0-10510600-1308748097.jpg

Edited by Tankman

@capeofstorms

I found the exact plugin you are after and guess what ... it is free!

Overlay HR, Speed, Cadence, Power, Elevation, whatever your heart desires.

post-4352-0-86678300-1308755302.jpg

Garmin Train Smash or Garmin Dis-Connect has nothing .. nothing I tell you

Guest agteros

@capeofstorms

I found the exact plugin you are after and guess what ... it is free!

Overlay HR, Speed, Cadence, Power, Elevation, whatever your heart desires.

post-4352-0-86678300-1308755302.jpg

Garmin Train Smash or Garmin Dis-Connect has nothing .. nothing I tell you

Hmm, I'm a bit late here but I'm using the exact same plugin to compare running routes (There are a few fixed ones we run on a weekly basis). Works like a charm ;)