Bikejacking @Bluehills Kyalami

nathrix

There is no way this is NOT syndicated. This is definitely not just random thefts. .

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another incident. Just read this on Twitter.

@kperkins12472:Just been bike-jacked on Gallop Rd, Blue Hills. Any riders out there pls be careful in Blue Hills area. Attackers were armed. 3 in overalls

They bikejacked (Super) Mike Naiker!!? Now it's really getting offsides!!!

Just heard his story right now and it seems that the bastatds not only tried to get his bike but then also tried to stab him and if he did not manage to run away they would have been successful. Who the f*** does that FFS!!?

Clearly - for me - at least the same guys who bikejacked Troy, given Nathrix's story of the guy trying to stab him too

Fackin' swine!! (an insult to pigs I know, but words fail me!)

Just heard his story right now and it seems that the bastatds not only tried to get his bike but then also tried to stab him and if he did not manage to run away they would have been successful. Who the f*** does that FFS!!?

Clearly - for me - at least the same guys who bikejacked Troy, given Nathrix's story of the guy trying to stab him too

See my comments in the Carte Blanche thread.

Have you been a victim in a bicycle hijacking incident?

Please submit your story and bump this thread daily so that we can get as many people as possible to submit their stories on Carte Blanche TV.

Carte Blanche TV Submit your story here

Carte Blanche TV in Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/carteblanchetv/status/82758504657600512

*****Update 01*****

Just received an email from Suasan Comrie. If anyone has any ideas of where these stolen/hijacked bicycles are going, give her a shout. I have replied with a link to this thread. Thanks

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the email. We’re definitely aware of the problem of bike hijackings – although I had no idea they were so violent.

I think we have considered looking at this story before but our problem has always been that we have no idea where the bikes are going – are they being resold in SA or shipped out of SA?

If you have any leads we could follow I’d love to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Susan Comrie

Journalist: Carte Blanche

[t] +27 11 886 8899

[c] +27 83 700 3479

[f] +27 86 508 3201

http://www.mnet.co.za/Content/Documents/CB/CarteBlanche_email.gif

*****Update 02*****

Not sure if this has already been posted on the hub. Received this Last night from Carlswald Community Forum. Safe riding....

Hi Neighbours

Please be aware that there was a bicycle hijacking on Saturday morning around 7am on the corner of Trotting and Gallop roads. 3 men with knives managed to take the bicycle of one cyclist (2 people were riding together).

The thieves then headed off across the empty field in the direction of Summit road. The bike was a 2011 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er (that is, a white bike with S-Works in black lettering on the frame).

I am told that there was another hijacking of a bicycle from a woman the week before along Stirrup road, near Paws Resort. She was pulled off her bike and kicked in the face. Don't know anything further other than both incidents were reported to the SAPS.

Please warn your cycling family and friends and give them the numbers of the SAPS vehicle 011 675 6115/4 071-6756114/5 whom they can call at any time to assist.

It seems like the bike thieves have moved from north of Summit road into Sunvalley/Bridle Park. Our area is a choice mountain bike route and it would be a shame to develop such a dire reputation as a hijacking hotspot.

Please note too that it was cyclists who came to the aid of a staff member (who had her handbag ripped from her just behind Georges Cafe a few weeks

ago) and ensured the thieves were arrested by the officers from the Sector vehicle!

Radio 702 and Carte Blanche have been contacted, as it seems this is not just a case of common theft, but harkens more toward a syndicate. I was also told that people (not dressed in cycling gear) were seen loading 2 bikes onto a bakkie on Summit road - maybe the thieves have a vehicle

waiting on Summit to take delivery?

If you have any further information, please contact me.

Be aware.

Regards

Bonnie

Hi all

I am very sorry to have given you the INCORRECT number for the (Sunvalley) Police Sector Vehicle - it should be

071-6756114/5

and not 011

There is no way this is NOT syndicated. This is definitely not just random thefts. .

So here is what I am thinking:

About 10-12 years ago we used to take 4x4 groups into Moz. on trips up the coast.

Miles from nowhere, on roads that used to break 4x4s we would come across jolly, smiling fellows.

Resplendent in rags, woolly lids and ragged satchels riding VERY VERY fancy Pinas, Bianchi and once even a Serotta, which the owner would not part with for all the money and beer I could offer (which was not much near the end of a trip).

The gentlemen concerned were quite open about the origins of the bikes - ZAR. But of course the story was always; "My boss gave it to me for Klistmaaas/salaree/becos' e luv Meee".

Now given the terrain, not to mention the riders, I am going to assume that a high end road bike is going to last, what, three months? less? Even if it did cost me a whole years salary (R300.00)

I would still far rather spend my dosh on a really bling bike Made for The Bush - ie: MTB.

Now 10-12 years ago, the debate centered around MTBs was more along the lines of..."The advantages of ceramic rims for rim brakes", "Check out the NEW Head Shock!!" and " Check out my NEW Raleigh Bombastic", all being practical, they pretty much all looked like shed-builds.

Scroll forward to 2010, and enter the all new 29er, Full Sus, Specialized Epic.

No contest!!

Look to the Nor' East my friends, the single track there is amazing, and the district roads were built for Spez.

Edited by The Drongo

Ask inspector Yang if he has any contacts in Moz. He has found a bike or to there. A place to start :huh:

This is just again so bladdy sad and irritating.

From what I can put together the majority of the attacks happen around diepsloot area also incidents out and around the informal settlements irene way.

Another suggestion is to start riding in more remote places. Granted its a huge mission coz you have to drive out there etc etc and that all takes time, but I cant think of a quick fix to this problem. Diepsloot is just too big a place with too many places to hide.

My opinion is to stay as far clear of townships and informal settlements as possible.

My opinion is to stay as far clear of townships and informal settlements as possible.

At the rate they are expanding and popping up,it would be almost impossible to ride in a while.

Blue Hills is upmarket residential.

"sorting" the guys out might just end up making things worse, next time round the guys may decide to kill rather than scare or wound.

while i agree to a certain point that we don't want to make the situation worse, sitting around just accepting it is utter crap, its complacency that allows them to get away with this kind of action, i do not profess to know what the right solution is, nor do i think each of us carrying a gun/ knife/ whatever and creating lynch mobs is going to help the situation either but something has to be done. sorry just my 2c worth, complacency is the root of most of the problems we face in SA, the "what can i do" argument only allows for the perps to carry on and not fear any kind of recourse.

Murder under the pretext of crime!!!!

Just glad you're unharmed Kev! Take care bro!

Edited by Delgado

An update from Kevin:

kperkins12472 Kevin Perkins

Thks to all 4 sms's & BBM's. I'm fine. Still angry -ok a bit psycho; but Coming out of the attack with just a painful knee is a good result.

the only way this is going to stop is if the thieves are caught quickly. the only way for that to happen is if a network gets up and running where members of the community can quickly respond to a theft, and by visiting 2nd stores and bike stores regularly. the bikes themselves need to be registered on a central database.

Databse exists - you just need to register your bike

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/67354-national-bicycle-registry/page__st__20__p__1010594__hl__register__fromsearch__1#entry1010594

The National Bicycle Registry is now active ...

Visit www.nbrza.co.za.

Many thanks to all of those involved in the recovery of my bicycle. It is really appreciated.

I believe that all the publicity on this forum, Twitter and Facebook helped contribute to the recovery of my bicycle. The power of Social Media.

Let's all continue to work together and publicize these bike jackings and hopefully recover some more bicycle.