new bike - struggling to climb short steep uphills

MBee

I'm 1.76 and ride a medium, large is too big. stretched out toptube and not enough stand over hight.

medium for different brands not the same. what is your medium in inches?

medium for different brands not the same. what is your medium in inches?

17" on one bike not always 17" on another! Just to confuse matters further...

Fork sag could also be an issue with tracking

I use to find my bike very twitchy on uphills, struggled to keep the front wheel down.

I started buggering around with my fork setup, set the rebound to be slower, as in towards the turtle, 5 clicks, made technical climbs much better, less bouncy, front wheel spends more time on the ground now even with my weight/body where it use to be before.

MBEE, Listen to me, these okes are making you deurmekaar.. Some peeps are just built different, Im not saying the size is right but im just 182cm but my seatpost is a mile high even on my large zula, cause I gots the legs like a supermodel OK :P long & skinny.

BUT, that shouldnt have to much to do with the settup... what you probably do find is the headtube of your new frame is longer than your old bike, IOW the hight the stem is fastened on the steerer tube (the tube from the fork) is highter than previous. BUT your seat hight has stayed the same, because you just dropped your seat. SO, take all the spacers out underneath the stem, and for now put them on top (later cut the steerer shorter) If that still doesnt work, Flip your stem over to get it even lower.

The sag etc on the fork has nothing to do with it. Its just that your centre of gravity is to far back and you have no weight on your front wheel.

When I got my Zula I had a 120mm fork and 1' rizerbar. I found it climed terrible. as I mentioned I have a short upperbody, long arms and long legs, so I have a 100mm 9deg stem, flipped over, a 0 rize Bar and hardly any spacers under my stem. For most that might be to low, but because I hont sit to high(short torso) my centre of gravity remains OK.

Complicated answer, I know, but I just thought Id give you the Full answer cause others might not agree with all because "It doesnt work for them"

Take a look at BURRY STANDER'S bikes.. When He swopped over to a 29'er the bigger wheel did the same as your large frame wheel would have done to your bar hight. When He rode 26" HT his stem and bars looked pretty normal, but when swopping to the 29" ha had to resort to quite a hectic angled flipped stem..heres pics..

post-1279-0-15765000-1308647137.jpg

post-1279-0-79576200-1308647150.jpg

Post a pic of you on the bike from the side as it is now. Your bike may not be too big (assumptions, assumptions!) and just needs a tweak. Bar height makes a huge difference on climbing - the lwoer teh better but you need to strike a balance for flat and DH work.

@Bos - That GT looks a lot like WeightWeenies bike.

:P Its when Burry stil rode a GT.

Couldnt find a pic of his 26" spez, I was in a hurry but wanted to make a point, hehe

Ok guys, clearly I bought the wrong size bike! bought it privately off the hub, so no refund for me. thanks for all the reponses and advice!

:P Its when Burry stil rode a GT.

Couldnt find a pic of his 26" spez, I was in a hurry but wanted to make a point, hehe

Sooooooooooo, the we can assume that WW is actually Burry Stander???

Ok guys, clearly I bought the wrong size bike! bought it privately off the hub, so no refund for me. thanks for all the reponses and advice!

Put the frame in the classifieds and try and sell it or swop it.

What frame is it?

Put the frame in the classifieds and try and sell it or swop it.

What frame is it?

It's a Giant Anthem 3.

bought it for the groupset which is XTR so want to keep that.

MBEE, Listen to me, these okes are making you deurmekaar.. Some peeps are just built different, Im not saying the size is right but im just 182cm but my seatpost is a mile high even on my large zula, cause I gots the legs like a supermodel OK :P long & skinny.

BUT, that shouldnt have to much to do with the settup... what you probably do find is the headtube of your new frame is longer than your old bike, IOW the hight the stem is fastened on the steerer tube (the tube from the fork) is highter than previous. BUT your seat hight has stayed the same, because you just dropped your seat. SO, take all the spacers out underneath the stem, and for now put them on top (later cut the steerer shorter) If that still doesnt work, Flip your stem over to get it even lower.

The sag etc on the fork has nothing to do with it. Its just that your centre of gravity is to far back and you have no weight on your front wheel.

When I got my Zula I had a 120mm fork and 1' rizerbar. I found it climed terrible. as I mentioned I have a short upperbody, long arms and long legs, so I have a 100mm 9deg stem, flipped over, a 0 rize Bar and hardly any spacers under my stem. For most that might be to low, but because I hont sit to high(short torso) my centre of gravity remains OK.

Complicated answer, I know, but I just thought Id give you the Full answer cause others might not agree with all because "It doesnt work for them"

Take a look at BURRY STANDER'S bikes.. When He swopped over to a 29'er the bigger wheel did the same as your large frame wheel would have done to your bar hight. When He rode 26" HT his stem and bars looked pretty normal, but when swopping to the 29" ha had to resort to quite a hectic angled flipped stem..heres pics..

Thanks Bos, will give this a try first!

It's a Giant Anthem 3.

Just get a new frame then.

When i was looking for a frame i would have needed a small in the Anthem.The small is a 57.5 top tube and the medium is a 59.5 top tube.

It's a Giant Anthem 3.

What is the height of your saddle from middle of BB to top of saddle?