So whats up with compression clothing

For me they do work. Very well at that, but get a reputable brand ie. not Falke socks or that Headstart stuff they sell at Sportsmans.

Size them properly.

When I have sore legs after a hard session the pressure releaves the sensation.

Recovery is improved so the next day legs feel better and you can ride again.

Went for a fast run the other day after not running for a while, would usually have sore legs about 2-3 days after, didn't have that when I wore compression during and after the run.

Joe Friel (author of "The Mountain bike training bible", etc) did quite a thorough article where he reviewed the current research and basically said it doesn't improve performance if you wear them during the activity. And it is inconclusive as to whether it helps for recovery (same research says yes, some says no).

Personally I haven't seen much benefit, but maybe pro's that train long hard hours and have to recover as much as possible will see more benefit.

They certainly aid recovery, I'm never sore after long rides. With regards to performance not sure.

Highly recommended!!

Wife not happy that I wear them to bed though!

very little scientific proof that they help , especially in training , and jury def out still on whether they help recovery, but if you feel better after wearing them , then go for it , the mind is always in control , and if it tells you so ...go for it.....just not in races please ....no proof on that , just plain silly looking...the pro triathletes might be wearing them , but they are pro's ...and money talks....

Im ok to look silly but the rewards better be there

I'm with you there, and the fact that the triathlon crowd adopted it first raises my suspicion. it's just a few steps above powerbalance in my mind.

but i'm a fan of scientific testing over marketing mumbo jumbo. i haven't tried them yet either, mainly due to the large pricing.

can the defenders please show us some links of decent peer-reviewed research and we'll take it from there.

Im ok to look silly but the rewards better be there

There were pretty popular at Sani2C.

Lots of people wearing them.

Yes they look silly.

Especially with shorts and flip flops!

i finally got them a year ago.. after much research..

THEY DO WORK !!!

..and i now swear by them!

my biggest shock was : last year, i got myself a MTB , a month later i decided to join my buddies

and attempt a 3day MTB race(Oudtshoorn) ,which at the time sounded insane, with very little training. The physio recommended it and so i bought a pair of Linebreak full leggings.She even said if i really struggle after the 2nd day, i can ride with them.

I did the medium route and wore them immediately after each ride.

I finished comfortably.. that was a huge surprise to me!

THEY DO WORK !!!

..and i now swear by them! ..and yes i even sleep in them when needed

Tried a pair after a 4hr hard ride on the weekend. Legs felt good the next day but no way of knowing how they would have felt afterwards if i had not used them. I reckon for us amateurs the benefit is probably fairly small, but if you are a pro every 0.1% advantage helps.

Reckon i will try them out for a bit and see if it either affects me physically or mentally - an improvement in either case will prob make a small difference.

But hey, if you aren't good at something, at least try to look good doing it.

RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) has long been used to treat acute and chronic injury and assist in orthopedic surgery rehabilitation. But traditional ice packs and other cold therapy and static compression devices can be messy and difficult to use. That's where Game Ready® comes in. Developed by scientists and doctors using proprietary NASA spacesuit technology, the Game Ready System simultaneously delivers both adjustable cold therapy and intermittent compression, making it easy to apply the two most difficult-to-manage aspects of the RICE regimen.

from what I saw at Sani they dont work if you wear long pants over them. Only if lots of people see you wearing them will you get the full effect.

I just don't know. Riding better with it one day can be because of a hundred reasons and you'll never know/can't replicate the exact same situation twice to really find out and in any case none of use would have the equipment to test it. And another thing, does it really compress enough to help?

Lots of opinions, but not enough research and studies. But hey, if it rocks your boat, do it. To each his own :thumbup:

I just don't know. Riding better with it one day can be because of a hundred reasons and you'll never know/can't replicate the exact same situation twice to really find out and in any case none of use would have the equipment to test it. And another thing, does it really compress enough to help?

Lots of opinions, but not enough research and studies. But hey, if it rocks your boat, do it. To each his own :thumbup:

Agree, some days my cycling is just stronger and better than other days....

In some cases a person is basically forced to wear them.

To try and avoid a varicose vein operation I wore the normal black compression socks and started cyling (very glad about that :thumbup: ) and did extra exercises each day.

Got some curious looks at my first few races.

Anyways

Had no other alternative but as to go for the operation 3 months ago (only left leg, as I didnt want to have both legs done at the same time) on the worst looking leg. Now I'm blessed with those skin coloured post-surgical ones. :blush: Wear them on both legs, as only one would look silly(ier)

But I must say, even after long hard rides, I experience no swelling or sore legs. STill have to wear them until September. After that I will revert back to the black ones. Works for me :thumbup: