Setup Question - technical single track

Chubba

No Chubba I meant downhill as in when both wheels are on the ground and the front wheel is lower than the rear wheel.

Get it?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering about your shock pressure? If its too low you will automatically dip in front, especially go downhill - the steeper the angle the more deflated the more you nose dive. The angle of your stem can also play part. Compare a 0 degree with a 6 degree and perhaps shorter stem to bring your hands back.

The cool thing with the Zula, is that it loves riding on the handlebar and out of the saddle - the downhill pedigree comes through loud and clear.

Your length suggest medium, your longer legs a large. Perhaps try laid back seatpost to give you even more move space between saddle nose and handle bar.

Just wondering about your shock pressure? If its too low you will automatically dip in front, especially go downhill - the steeper the angle the more deflated the more you nose dive. The angle of your stem can also play part. Compare a 0 degree with a 6 degree and perhaps shorter stem to bring your hands back.

The cool thing with the Zula, is that it loves riding on the handlebar and out of the saddle - the downhill pedigree comes through loud and clear.

Your length suggest medium, your longer legs a large. Perhaps try laid back seatpost to give you even more move space between saddle nose and handle bar.

Front Reba set at 130psi

RP 23 Shock set at 190psi for my weight with gear at around 90kg.

Will measure the stem and degree.

I had the same issue - got a stem with a bigger angle (and 10mm longer). Works perfect now...

1. You don't need to ride a large. I'm 179 and ride a Med Zula. Although we are at the upper edge of its size its a perfect fit.

2. A longer stem will make matters worse

3. A dropper will make a hell of a difference, but that should be to enhance your ride - not solve setup issues.

4. Being comfortable when seated does not eliminate the stem / bar as bad habits form quick

5. Moving the saddle to compensate for this could damage your knees / strain your back in the long run. Saddle for / aft should be set ONLY to get you in the right position for your pedal stroke. It's not meant to give you better reach. EVER.

6. Your brake levers should be set to touch your fingers when you extent them to form a straight line with your arms when seated. If it feels uncomfortable at first, take time to get used to it.

There's lots of things to try

1. Like splat said riser bar could work.

2. Headset spacers

3. Stem rise

4. Could be that your fork has too little air in or that you need to dial in some low speed compression

5. Could be bad technique / habit

At 179 my saddle height is 75cm. But saddle height is not dependent on your height. It is dependent on your inseam.

There's lots of things to try

1. Like splat said riser bar could work.

2. Headset spacers

3. Stem rise

4. Could be that your fork has too little air in or that you need to dial in some low speed compression

At 179 my saddle height is 75cm. But saddle height is not dependent on your height. It is dependent on your inseam.

Saddle set a 76.5cm

Reach should be 55.5cm

My measurements:

Height: 177.5

Inseam: 87

Arm length: 57

Torso length: 58

Ill look at your suggestions.

Front Reba set at 130psi

RP 23 Shock set at 190psi for my weight with gear at around 90kg.

Will measure the stem and degree.

Percentage sag on fork and shock?

Percentage sag on fork and shock?

15% - 20% on shock, and i would say i have 15% before i bottom out the fork.

post-182-0-53572800-1309527435.jpg

More than likely, never said I was the best rider around, but my mates have ridden my bike and feel the same sense of being on top of the bike.

Edited by Chubba

Not 100% sure from what you say about the fork that we are on the same page, but either way I think your suspension needs setup. You'll have to tackle this from a side, one by one. Where do you stay? Let's hook up for a meet and ride and I'll have a look at your setup.

I've done a couple in my life, have ridden a Zula so might be able to help. And if I can't I'll say so.

Not 100% sure from what you say about the fork that we are on the same page, but either way I think your suspension needs setup. You'll have to tackle this from a side, one by one. Where do you stay? Let's hook up for a meet and ride and I'll have a look at your setup.

I've done a couple in my life, have ridden a Zula so might be able to help. And if I can't I'll say so.

+1 dude

The world needs more people like you who give a damn

Never met Chubba, but thanks for helping him

+1 dude

The world needs more people like you who give a damn

Never met Chubba, but thanks for helping him

Yup, and i appreciate all the help!

Yo dudes, come ride sunday morning. You can do set up, bomb down and enjoy the day... Trying to get some ou's on the All Mountain thread to come play - Jonkershoek, Tokia, Delvera. Any takers?

Like SwissVan said. Move your backside backwards. Get your weight to the back of the bike. Even to the extent of your butt being off the saddle. For that you might have to lower the saddle a few millimeters. Get/train with a hardtail bike. Learn to use your LEGS as rear suspension. Technique.

Edited by Goodbadugly