Race Organisers - I Hate You!!!!

LukeV-2

Ahhh Anton - I think he was having an off day when he wrote that.

If I pissed away R1000/week on alcohol I'd be drunk premanently!

Edit: Hang on - I've just realised I hold a valid student card. SScrew you Dangle - I'm all for free student stuff :P

Yeah, I was having an off day, students don't party out and waste cash on a weekends jolling, what was I thinking, let me entertain the righteous and mighty Steve, they probably have weekend jobs so they can contribute towards their studies and help their parents in these tough economic times.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was having an off day, students don't party out and waste cash on a weekends jolling, what was I thinking, let me entertain the righteous and mighty Steve, they probably have weekend jobs so they can contribute towards their studies and help their parents in these tough economic times.

Dude! Have you lost touch with reality???! :blink:

When I was a student we were sponsored by Hunters Gold and could buy them for 75c each. Using Dangle's R1000/week example I could afford 1,333 Hunters per week. Thats 190/day or 8/hour. Thats 1 every 7.5 minutes.

A tough schedule but I reckon I would have given it a go back then :D

When I was a student we were sponsored by Hunters Gold and could buy them for 75c each. Using Dangle's R1000/week example I could afford 1,333 Hunters per week. Thats 190/day or 8/hour. Thats 1 every 7.5 minutes.

A tough schedule but I reckon I would have given it a go back then :D

Dude. When you were a student bread was R2.50 a loaf and Fuel was R5.00 a litre.

Hunters is probably R7.50 a bottle now, at the local bottle store, and double that at the local p-up.

Re-do your math. :)

Dude. When you were a student bread was R2.50 a loaf and Fuel was R5.00 a litre.

Hunters is probably R7.50 a bottle now, at the local bottle store, and double that at the local p-up.

Re-do your math. :)

Lets go with R7.50/bottle - our marketing machine would get Hunters to sponsor us again. Thats still almost a Hunters an hour drinking 24/7

Methinks Dangle is a silver spoon baby with a trust fund :D

Or a liver the size of a small house!

Lets go with R7.50/bottle - our marketing machine would get Hunters to sponsor us again. Thats still almost a Hunters an hour drinking 24/7

Or a liver the size of a small house!

He rides SS. :) Profile fits.

Ha, how I wish :angry:

Allegedly so :lol:

Ha, how I wish :angry:

Allegedly so :lol:

What is this reality thing that everybody keeps banging on about?

What is this reality thing that everybody keeps banging on about?

Just send an email to Bra Juju, he will point you in the right direction of 'reality'....!

I fully agree with you - although I am not a student!

Entry fees for races are outrageous, and trying to justify these high costs as much as the organisers want, they do not convince us as competitors.

I fully agree - organising takes time, costs money and effort. However, with the fees going higher and higher each time, they are doing the sport more harm than anything else.

MTB'ing was relatively cheap compared to Road Racing previously, but the organisers obviously realised that "they are leaving money on the table" and ... up go the fees.

I worry when I read in Bicycling Magazines that organisers treat Races like businesses - they have to show profit.

I am concerned when I read that fees are going to this and that charity - "Charity starts at home" is the proverb.

I feel upset when so-called "small" races like those in VanderBijlPark also start pushing the R 100 limit for 60 km races.

I am most concerned that Cycling will go the same route as Motorsport in this country - supported by a very few with very few competitors.

I agree with a previous saying - If you can't afford it, don't compete, but, look at the other side of the coin....

I feel that the entry fees should attract competitors - like the poor students, like the people just starting racing, like the people who want to compete for the sake of competing and not interested or concerned or qualified about licensing or becoming professional

I feel that prize monies should not be for the privileged few licenced riders. What about the "Open" classes - give each group, age group, etc a prize (even how small) for 1 st, 2 nd and 3 rd? Do you realise how much that will mean for the cyclist? During the last Jock races in Barberton all the prizes, in all the classes amongst all the groups were won by a small handful of professionals - who most probably put their trophies either away in a closet, or pool the prize money. Giving a small prize to that guy who also tried, who also paid his R 470 entry fee for the 3 stages, who also had to travel to and from the start in Barberton, would not have cost that much, but would have ACHIEVED a lot?

Worthwhile thinking about it?

Poor students aside....what about high school learners?

They are totally dependent on their parents and pocket money!! This is where our next Burry Stander will come from....and judging by the local talent heer in Stellenbosch & Somerset west...it will not take long.

How do one grow this great MTB sport if the excessive enry fees starts to inhibit entries?

The other side of the arguement is also thssi: The molre participants one can atrtact - the easier it is to attract a mainline sponsor for the event...

So, there needs to be a fine balance between affordability and... value for money.... and not ripping off Joe Public.

One thing I will add (my bit of reality)

The numbers are increasing and with this the race entry fees as well.

My thinking is, the more the number of riders, the more affordable the entry fee should be.

Also get rid of the stupid license, and don't tell me the money has to be paid because of SACF this and that organisation and warra, warra, warra.

Poor event organisers are being forced to sanction their events so that the riders can pay the licence fee to fatten someone else's coffers.

In the end of the day, what has happened to us doing the sport for pure enjoyment and pleasure ?

Riders are complaining about poor route markings, crappy medals, crummy goody bags.........and the list goes on, but as they finish typing their complaint or moan, they hop on to the web to enter for the next race, they are creating the market for these supposed poor organisers .

Also get rid of the stupid license, and don't tell me the money has to be paid because of SACF this and that organisation and warra, warra, warra.

If you want the pros, you need to be sanctioned my CSA. I say stuff the pros. They don't pay for entry anyway.

I feel that prize monies should not be for the privileged few licenced riders. What about the "Open" classes - give each group, age group, etc a prize (even how small) for 1 st, 2 nd and 3 rd? Do you realise how much that will mean for the cyclist?

At the Knysna Oyster Festival rides they recently introduced new age limits, I wrote to the organizers asking why and they told me due to the new CSA regulations and also because they were re-instating age cat. prizes.

Although i wanted to compete in the longer distances I thought that I would at least be in for a age cat. prize.

I came 2nd in U14 for the mtb and 1st U14 for the road, there wasn't a single age cat. prize at the prizegivings.

All they had were U23 and elite for Male and Female.

Dissapointing.

A student can only get a job if they are studying something silly like a BA or something.

I have no time for a student job, even in the holidays we get projects.

Bullsh!t!! What else do you expect to fall in your lap??

I studied dentistry and had to pay for it myself!! No loans, no petrol money from parents. I worked most nights and every weekend and holiday. Was it tough? For sure, but you can do anything if you really apply yourself!

Grow up and grow a pair......

I think MTB is going to follow a natural cycle.... in the last few years the sport has exploded. Natural demographics will put a cap on the number of MTB'ers, which i think its close to where it is now.. With the growth of the sport, has come a race just about every weekend in every part of the country. As of now, i think the races are going to have to compete with one another for numbers and prices will start dropping...

I'v seen a few races already fall away here in KZN this year.

Next year the calender will look very different.