Upgrading to 29er?

JGdp

Maxing your bike = riding it to the extent of its capabilities. Something none of us do.

I don't agree, I often see okes riding the *** out of their bikes....and even then, you can still change my statement to read " if you THINK you are maxing your bike out, and NEED more performance, then buy another by all means".. believing your are maxing it it is for all intense and purpose the same as actually maxing it out- in my mind anyways

Last point, if you really really want another bike, then get it.... But the worst thing to do is to go through the stress of buying a new bike just because someone else suggested you should.....

Believe me, it is stressful buying a new bike.... So many options, the doubt, the guilt, the constant should I rather have gotten this over that, the should I have waited because then I could have had that..... Buying a new bike is sooooooo stressful.....

Edited by TheV

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride a singlespeed because. . . I snapped the hanger off my frame. I always used to ride it ss and put gears on once. Snapped the derailler clean off.

errrm, TheV: there's a huge different between thinking your maxing out your bike versus riding at the limits of your capabilities. A new bike with features to fill the performance gap will fix the former, but almost never the latter. The trick is for the rider to not BS himself.

I don't agree, I often see okes riding the *** out of their bikes....and even then, you can still change my statement to read " if you THINK you are maxing your bike out, and NEED more performance, then buy another by all means".. believing your are maxing it it is for all intense and purpose the same as actually maxing it out- in my mind anyways

Last point, if you really really want another bike, then get it.... But the worst thing to do is to go through the stress of buying a new bike just because someone else suggested you should.....

Believe me, it is stressful buying a new bike.... So many options, the doubt, the guilt, the constant should I rather have gotten this over that, the should I have waited because then I could have had that..... Buying a new bike is sooooooo stressful.....

you're telling me, i did'nt even stress this much on any of my exams(yes Im still a student). The options are endless and opinions even more......

errrm, TheV: there's a huge different between thinking your maxing out your bike versus riding at the limits of your capabilities. A new bike with features to fill the performance gap will fix the former, but almost never the latter. The trick is for the rider to not BS himself.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you..... My point is more that even if you "feel" that your current bike is being maxed out by you, then by all means get another bike.... If it actually is being maxed out by you is another topic.... But it's a helluva much better buying a new bike when u feel ur riding the *** out your current bike than compared to you just doing it because some buddy told you that you needed a 29er because it's the shizzle....

!

Bet I could MAX her out no problem.... Or at least I would have fun trying.....

Without getting into the 26/29er debate....

My son started riding on a 26er, because that was all that there was available.

After upgrading it to the point where the only upgrade available was to get a new bike, we decided to look at the other options.

By upgrading I don't mean pimping the bike out with the latest and best, but what works for him.

We have always started out with the perseption that technology is not what wins a race, but the rider using the technology.

He started on a Giant Halo, which we upgraded by changing the frame to a Giant XTC.

From there the components were slowly upgraded over about 2 years where he had the XTC, with XT/XTR groupset, crank etc.

Shifters and brakes stayed with the original Deore/LX.

After riding that bike for more than a year, it was like trying to flog a dead horse.

He rides on average in 3-4 races per month, and he had outgrown the bike. (He is only 17, and stands 1.84m in his socks.)

The options were to get a bigger frame, and replace the well used components, or get a new bike.

We chose the new bike option.

Again, we had the choice of looking at the various 26ers, with all the manufacturers and permutations available, or going the 29er route.

Cost was a definite consideration, as neither my wife nor myself earn enough to really afford a decent top-of-the-range bike, even though his riding warrants it.

We therefore decided to look at the alternatives. Some of the smaller / less well known brands, where we would not be paying for the name, but rather for what we got.

To cut an already long story a bit shorter, we ended up with a Momsen SL929, with a combination of Momsen/SRAM XO and Magura components.

This bike fits him, he is confident in his abilities on it, and he can really ride it like it is meant to be ridden.

Bottom line: If your bike has reached the end of its useful life, and it is time to get something new, then do that.

Look at what you can afford, visit a few shops, try out the various bikes available, and then make your decision based on your personal experiences and preferences.

Don't let anyone dictate what you should ride, be it make, model, tyre size or any other factors.

You are riding the bike, so get what you want.

Without getting into the 26/29er debate....

My son started riding on a 26er, because that was all that there was available.

After upgrading it to the point where the only upgrade available was to get a new bike, we decided to look at the other options.

By upgrading I don't mean pimping the bike out with the latest and best, but what works for him.

We have always started out with the perseption that technology is not what wins a race, but the rider using the technology.

He started on a Giant Halo, which we upgraded by changing the frame to a Giant XTC.

From there the components were slowly upgraded over about 2 years where he had the XTC, with XT/XTR groupset, crank etc.

Shifters and brakes stayed with the original Deore/LX.

After riding that bike for more than a year, it was like trying to flog a dead horse.

He rides on average in 3-4 races per month, and he had outgrown the bike. (He is only 17, and stands 1.84m in his socks.)

The options were to get a bigger frame, and replace the well used components, or get a new bike.

We chose the new bike option.

Again, we had the choice of looking at the various 26ers, with all the manufacturers and permutations available, or going the 29er route.

Cost was a definite consideration, as neither my wife nor myself earn enough to really afford a decent top-of-the-range bike, even though his riding warrants it.

We therefore decided to look at the alternatives. Some of the smaller / less well known brands, where we would not be paying for the name, but rather for what we got.

To cut an already long story a bit shorter, we ended up with a Momsen SL929, with a combination of Momsen/SRAM XO and Magura components.

This bike fits him, he is confident in his abilities on it, and he can really ride it like it is meant to be ridden.

Bottom line: If your bike has reached the end of its useful life, and it is time to get something new, then do that.

Look at what you can afford, visit a few shops, try out the various bikes available, and then make your decision based on your personal experiences and preferences.

Don't let anyone dictate what you should ride, be it make, model, tyre size or any other factors.

You are riding the bike, so get what you want.

But that is a very expensive bike!

But that is a very expensive bike!

With full XTR it's R45k, so with a lower spec it'll be less.

i still dont get htf an XC bike can be more expensive than a full blown DH sled. I thnk this blind insistence on all things marathon is skewing the prices to favor those hell bent on making big bucks outta little deals, the point of excluding that which we really need: more AM dual sussers.